Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

So, I just got done playing Project Reality: ArmA 3.  I felt SO liberated being able to look around with Track IR.  But as soon as I tried to line up a target I had to deal with its 5 different stances and ended up getting shot in the face and must have looked like a tool bag in the process. 

PLEASE add in Track IR with version 9. The combination between the simplicity of Squad and the freeing SA of track IR is a match made in Gaming heaven! 

Thought I'd just drop by to re-Emphasize its importance!

Hooves

P.S  cant wait to see Helos!!!

adding a FreeLook capablilty is completely "free" for all to use it.

would mean simply binding a spare mouse key or what ever key you want to (trigger free look) + mouse.. you don't need to run out spend any money at all.. its just with it added those that do have or made their own can use them accordingly.

i got a bug once.. mute the music if you need... but it would help alot with player spacing and awareness.

No issue if the feature is in game for all to use and requires no additional outlay... Add it in.

If freelook is able to be used by all with some simple key / mouse binds thats great. But dont add something to the game (trackir) which only people who have shelled out $149 can take advantage of. Squads meant to be competitive, cannot have a select few looking all around while under fire or crossing the  road while others are locked in so to speak.  Its no doubt a great interesting feature but would give an advantage to its small amount of users.

1 hour ago, UnderFire said:

But dont add something to the game (trackir) which only people who have shelled out $149 can take advantage of.

It'll be a keybind just like ARMA, the devs are well aware of keeping things fair. I'd like trackir in ARMA for flying, but for infantry, I don't think you're really at a disadvantage with a simple keybind. 

The thing I forgot to mention is, currently in the game when you reload a fifty on a HUMVEE you can't rotate to turret. That would be a nice feature. To be able to rotate a turrent while reloading. I know that in the future we will be able to duck down inside the turret for cover.

No issue if the feature is in game for all to use and requires no additional outlay... Add it in.

If freelook is able to be used by all with some simple key / mouse binds thats great. But dont add something to the game (trackir) which only people who have shelled out $149 can take advantage of. Squads meant to be competitive, cannot have a select few looking all around while under fire or crossing the  road while others are locked in so to speak.  Its no doubt a great interesting feature but would give an advantage to its small amount of users.

With that logic I have an "unfair advantage" because I have an Ultrawide 21:9 monitor? Everyone will always have different hardware no matter what, some people will always have a hardware advantage over others, it's just the way it is. Everything from mice, keyboards and headsets can give advantages depending on how much you spend/which brand or type you buy. Even someone playing at 4K will have an advantage over someone playing at 1080p because their higher pixel density will allow them to pick out long distance targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freelook is very valuable with or without TrackIR. Being a TrackIR owner I'd love for it to be implemented as the immersion and situational awareness it brings would be fantastic.

As others have said, when helicopters get into the game it would be pretty much an essential addition to help pilots.

10 hours ago, RipGroove said:

With that logic I have an "unfair advantage" because I have an Ultrawide 21:9 monitor? Everyone will always have different hardware no matter what, some people will always have a hardware advantage over others, it's just the way it is. Everything from mice, keyboards and headsets can give advantages depending on how much you spend/which brand or type you buy. Even someone playing at 4K will have an advantage over someone playing at 1080p because their higher pixel density will allow them to pick out long distance targets.

Everyone needs the basics to play the game. This will always be budget dependent on the user. But this $150 add on is not required to play the game fully and would give a player who is using it the upper hand over someone who is not. If you can flick your head and look 180 or even left/right without changing your weapons position but another player has to physically in game turn to do the same, then you do have an advantage. 

Have you played with Freelook in another game? In Arma, it's not uncommon for people to only use trackir when flying and not for infantry where they prefer a keybind. As well as the facts that you can make your own DIY trackir at a fraction of the cost as well as the devs have NEVER hinted that there wouldn't be a key bind available for everyone. 

Don't freak out dude, it'll still be a relatively level playing field, as much as any based on technology can be anyway. 

5 minutes ago, LugNut said:

Have you played with Freelook in another game? In Arma, it's not uncommon for people to only use trackir when flying and not for infantry where they prefer a keybind. As well as the facts that you can make your own DIY trackir at a fraction of the cost as well as the devs have NEVER hinted that there wouldn't be a key bind available for everyone. 

Don't freak out dude, it'll still be a relatively level playing field, as much as any based on technology can be anyway. 

Wasn't there Freelook in BF2?  It would get enough use that it would be helpful.

Everyone needs the basics to play the game. This will always be budget dependent on the user. But this $150 add on is not required to play the game fully and would give a player who is using it the upper hand over someone who is not. If you can flick your head and look 180 or even left/right without changing your weapons position but another player has to physically in game turn to do the same, then you do have an advantage. 

You do know that if free look is implemented it will be free to use?! It'll be a key bind with possibly Track IR support. No one will HAVE to pay to use free look.

On 1/26/2017 at 1:03 PM, CageMatchKimsey said:

Wasn't there Freelook in BF2?  It would get enough use that it would be helpful.

We've already got freelook in vehicles if you want to try it out. As infantry in ARMA, I mainly use it when out in the open to check surroundings or when sprinting across a street. Also, it's invaluable when prone if you are trying to be stealthy since turning your head creates a much smaller movement than spinning your entire body around. In all of those situations, using a key bind is no handicap compared to TrackIR. When you're in a fire fight or CQB, you don't bother with it anyway. For flying, it's very intuitive and Track IR is a big help there because there's a lot going on.

There are other alternatives to TrackIR out there too, anywhere from free, to a couple of bucks if you build it yourself to @$60.

Edited by LugNut

how about vr too .... "when the jets fly off in squad" lol stop being funny with your ideas ! game is ok as it is go dx12 and multithreaded servers and we might see tanks this year around "when the jets fly off in squad" ohhh fast ropes anyone xD

This thread just got a whole lot more exciting!

Watching the Free Look update video just now, ****in eh Devs! Hats off to you in this major step forward!

Freelook is finally here my Squadlings!!!
Goose bumps !!!
Where is @IrOnTaXi ??? Who should I congratulate, who is responsible?
Flipping awesome!!!!!! 
GOOD JOB BOYS!
edit look who clean it looks holy crap! The focus on the ironsights................ Yeaaah buddy!

On 7/25/2015 at 5:40 AM, LsK said:

+1 for freelook, one of the best features in arma should be brought to squad.  Also, the ability to focus whilst moving would be a great addition aswell.

You can, but you have to bind your walk key. If you're walking you can strafe while zoomed in.

Adding TrackIR will definitely expand the community for a couple reasons.

When a new game is supported, TrackIR's software will notify all users of the new game. That might cause people to become interested in the game. Or, like myself would become even more interested because of the feature.

And who knows, maybe you will be on the front page of NaturalPoint since Star Citizen's support was stopped by a recent update.

I'm not sure if there is a great cost to adding the support, but to me it seems there are only benefits to adding this.

16 hours ago, Tango said:

Adding TrackIR will definitely expand the community for a couple reasons.

When a new game is supported, TrackIR's software will notify all users of the new game. That might cause people to become interested in the game. Or, like myself would become even more interested because of the feature.

And who knows, maybe you will be on the front page of NaturalPoint since Star Citizen's support was stopped by a recent update.

I'm not sure if there is a great cost to adding the support, but to me it seems there are only benefits to adding this.

I will be completely honest. My surface research indicates that an incredibly small % of the population uses any type of track IR system. So I can't support the fact that it will bring in a lot of new users over time (maybe a short term burst when added) but we will explore it once the new animation system is ready and hopefully i can find some community enthusiasts to help educate us on its adoption and useage. 

3 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

I will be completely honest. My surface research indicates that an incredibly small % of the population uses any type of track IR system. So I can't support the fact that it will bring in a lot of new users over time (maybe a short term burst when added) but we will explore it once the new animation system is ready and hopefully i can find some community enthusiasts to help educate us on its adoption and useage. 

If you simply write natural point an email they will assist you in implementation.  I think they will give you dev kits as well.  In fact here is their developers web page.  With contact info anf everything.  

www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/developers/

Edited by Hooves
Update info

On 2/17/2017 at 0:40 PM, Hooves said:

If you simply write natural point an email they will assist you in implementation.  I think they will give you dev kits as well.  In fact here is their developers web page.  With contact info anf everything.  

www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/developers/

Cheers. we will keep it on the list. 

19 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Cheers. we will keep it on the list. 

Good to hear!!  Natural Point really is helpful for titles wanting to add support.  And honestly the hard part of mouse look has been done by you, Id be VERY surprised to learn that TIR implementation was hard at all.