Rainmaker

Free look / TrackIR Support

The TrackIR support would really be a great addition to the game. Having that freelook raises your situational awareness, but not only that, its really immersive with all of the stuff you created so far. By the way imagine the kind of movies we would make with Squad having TrackIR (freelook feature) support...

Incase a player doesn't have a TrackIR device, if he wanted to use free look feature he would have that option binded to a key on the keyboard. As long as the button is pressed, he can move his mouse and use free look.

One of the devs said the TrackIR team contacted them and suggested they implement it in the game, he didn't say no so there's at least a possibility. I would be absolutely for this if it doesn't muck up the current animations too much.

I've gotten used to being able to look around thanks to playing Arma so much. I really hope they implement it into SQUAD. I've heard TrackIR only enhances gameplay, both in aerial and infantry situations.

+1 from me

I'd love that feature in squad. Especially when you sprint and can't turn quick I want to be able to pay attention to my surroundings. Although I'd love to see that feature I can wait until post release for it.

Free look is super important for situational awareness, don't want to have to stop pulling security to look around and see what your squad/team is up to. For flying? Please! Landing a helicopter without that free look can be a pain in the neck if you can't look left and right in a tight LZ.

Free look is super important for situational awareness, don't want to have to stop pulling security to look around and see what your squad/team is up to. For flying? Please! Landing a helicopter without that free look can be a pain in the neck if you can't look left and right in a tight LZ.

Heck, SA in a jet is bad enough without it! haha 

Free look, in my opinion, would be a great feature for Squad from seeing all the gameplay. It would make a lot of the engagements less linear and provide an extra layer of immersion, not to mention the scale of the game is a little too large for it not to be considered. There's just so many things I wouldn't have been able to see while playing ARMA if there was no free look / independent camera. Not to mention it would be an amazing mix with the helmet cams. ;)

TrackIR support on top of that would be swell but that would give other players a huge advantage, especially if there's any other elements that could be linked with head movement or additional key bindings you couldn't hit if you've got your hand holding a key for free look.

Not to mention it would be an amazing mix with the helmet cams.

Are the GoPro camera angles adjusted so as to simulate it being mounted on the helmet? Or like, is it above the shoulder? Is it configurable/are there multiple angles possible? I haven't seen much yet, there's so much info coming out I haven't looked into yet :s

Even so, it's major effort once you try TrackIR. You don't retain the same freedom of movement if you have to hold alt and free look on ARMA. Try it, there's a few big movement restrictions but they're not game breaking. A little inconvenient. Thank god we can rebind.

TrackIR support on top of that would be swell but that would give other players a huge advantage, especially if there's any other elements that could be linked with head movement or additional key bindings you couldn't hit if you've got your hand holding a key for free look.

I think this "Trackir gives advantage" thing is bull shit. Headtrack is the future... Even if you are not buying trackir, oculus rift is comming.

PLus, thinking on your logic, lets remove joystick support from the game, as it would give huge advantage to fly choppers from who have only mouse/keyboard.

Lets remove mouse support too, since it gives huge advantage from who have only keyboard

I think this "Trackir gives advantage" thing is bull shit. Headtrack is the future... Even if you are not buying trackir, oculus rift is comming.

PLus, thinking on your logic, lets remove joystick support from the game, as it would give huge advantage to fly choppers from who have only mouse/keyboard.

Lets remove mouse support too, since it gives huge advantage from who have only keyboard

Remove your Graphic card, you have more then 10 FPS!!!! CHEATER!!!!

Does it not give an advantage? Have you played games with additional peripherals? I don't see your issue, it's a clear fact it would give an advantage and on top of that, I have first hand experience of it.

My logic was simple - Squad is aimed at more of a competitive angle than ARMA because it's more linear and the point is clear, win. Adding TrackIR support (which I'm down for anyway, don't get salty) would make the game easy for owners of TrackIR. You would be able to look around while retaining full movement and who knows what additional key bindings holding a free look binding could interfere with?? Apply some simple game balance logic, it's pretty clear.

Oh right. Have you played a flight game vs someone without a flight stick / vs someone with one? Have you played a racing game vs someone without a wheel, pedals and stick vs someone with them?

Head track is the future? Head tracking was a thing in 2009 with ARMA 2.

Edit: Also, it depends on the level of implementation. Would it be basic head tracking on one axis (or two with the Z) or would it be the full blown deal with zooming, leaning etc. Oh look, more key bindings you can skip.

It does not give any advantage over non-headtracking users. I have trackIR 3 and even tho I don't use it as much, I know the difference... So from game caliber such as Squad, it will blow minds away with head tracking support.

@andreher - That is pretty much spot on. Head tracking is the future, Oculus Rift and TrackIR

I don't see this giving an advantage to infantry. You can snap left and right with your mouse faster than you can even move your head. I don't see how it would really make a difference.

Now for vehicles that's another story. Still, I think the game should provide support. Would be neat to have for flying.

Does it not give an advantage? Have you played games with additional peripherals? I don't see your issue, it's a clear fact it would give an advantage and on top of that, I have first hand experience of it.

My logic was simple - Squad is aimed at more of a competitive angle than ARMA because it's more linear and the point is clear, win. Adding TrackIR support (which I'm down for anyway, don't get salty) would make the game easy for owners of TrackIR. You would be able to look around while retaining full movement and who knows what additional key bindings holding a free look binding could interfere with?? Apply some simple game balance logic, it's pretty clear.

Oh right. Have you played a flight game vs someone without a flight stick / vs someone with one? Have you played a racing game vs someone without a wheel, pedals and stick vs someone with them?

Head track is the future? Head tracking was a thing in 2009 with ARMA 2.

Edit: Also, it depends on the level of implementation. Would it be basic head tracking on one axis (or two with the Z) or would it be the full blown deal with zooming, leaning etc. Oh look, more key bindings you can skip.

Well, I have trackir for 4 years now... I have 500 hours of arma 3 on my account and I don't like to use trackir as an infantry man. I don't think its much of an advantage to the infantry man.

For flying and driving in other hand, yes, it gives huge advantage. But that's the beauty of PC gaming, customizing your setup for the best experience possible. 

Using your examples, I agree with them, yes, the stick and the wheels give a lot of advantage, but, have you ever see a game removing support from those acessories just because they give advantage from those who don't use them? It's no sense. 

And yes, headtrack is the future, in 2009 barely no one knew what a headtrack was. Now days even my non-gamers co-workers want to try out oculus rift because they saw in some youtube video. Sony is makking one too... soon all consoles will have them and then, boom, it's everywhere.

That's exactly what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the game in general, not just purely infantry related movement.

I never said remove it or deny the support for it, I was simply saying it could give an advantage to players with it.

I know I'll be using it if it becomes a thing for Squad.