I know it's fruitless to post suggestions for gamemodes as the devs already have a lot on their plates. I just want to write this concept down so I can come back to it later and possibly start something with it. In any case here we go.

A largely ocean/sea map with a scattering of either islands or a single coastline. Among the islands or coastline are 2 specific areas, a naval base/military installation and a shanty town. Shanty town operates as a main base for the pirate faction (could be any combination from generic African rebels to militia) from which small boats (with and without heavy weapons) would be launched to intercept cargo ships (if possible movable objects that halt when occupied otherwise might need to be AI driven vehicles) and hold those ships for a specified amount of time. Possibility of acquiring score through capturing ships and holding them hostage with further work could be turned in to a monetary system to buy new equipment or be a threshold for better equipment to spawn. Whilst the objective for the pirates is to halt ships for a specified time to gain points, the other faction (could be any number of conventional forces) would get the mission to secure the captured ships and protect any other ships in the area. Protection could be done by patrolling around (helicopter or boat) or stationing a squad worth of men on a ship (if at least 4 men are on the ship it could provide a spawn point).

For this to work, either objects in the world need to be spawned in and move across the ocean area to the other side, or movement on moving vehicles needs to be overhauled so walking over a slow moving ship doesn't become a problem. Additionally the bluefor forces would consist of 3 types of vehicles: helicopter patrols, RHIB patrols and a destroyer and/or frigate. The frigate would serve as a mobile spawnpoint, the only possible way to inhibit the frigate/destroyer would be to acquire enough point for a land to sea missile system (highly unrealistic but alternatives need to be made). The ship should have an available action radius around it within which helicopters and boats need to be to operate (otherwise you'd have random boats and helicopters all over the map).

This gamemode makes hardly any sense and I do not expect people to actually make this (especially not the devs), I'm just adding it here to give an idea (which is lazy as ****) and ask for ways to have asymmetrical naval combat and this would be a nice way to do it.

Additionally, locations could vary from the straits of Malacca, to the Somali coast or the coast of Guinea and the Columbian coast.

Edited by liamNL

Harsh.

Still, though - I wonder if this engine has possibilities for game types that have not been considered at all. There's no harm in considering possibilities, and opening up Squad's potential could only be a positive. Of course, the mechanics outlined above seem a little out of kilter, but actually, why not consider something like an invasion-type map - perhaps with no habs and fobs, so an entirely different game mode but one which could still work within Squad's universe, so to speak - where it does indeed revolve around taking back or defending a pirated supertanker? There would genuinely be enough size to accomodate a reasonable player count still, and, with great design, it could work, in theory. Obviously there would be some changes required, but just because it wouldn't fit into the same mould of the other game types in a way, with scale etc, it might actually be pretty cool to have a more tightly focused game mode too. I know that there is the Rainbow6 space already filled, but I know I am not the only one who enjoyed close combat in Squad a lot, even if it isn't tailored to that. The point of squad is that it does work in macro and micro, you know? Maybe it's nostalgia, but some other staples of old could work in such a mode, with, perhaps, less expansive map design required, if more detail. Oil rigs, small islands, embassies.. why not?! No point in pouring water on something too easily.

17 hours ago, deadstalker said:

This is just a concept for a new game

It don't have to be, as most stuff for this would be in the game (helicopters and infantry combat) the only things it requires by mod are a opfor faction, boat mechanics and movable environments/ai ships. Granted opfor could be ripped from any number of unconventional forces and boat mechanics might or might not be added, with the only actual hurdle being moving environments or ai ships. (a money counter system would be tricky to make but possible with some skill or some time). And it fits within squad as a form of unconventional combat.

I wouldn't be bothered about too much of it, but as part of a mix of other maps, I think storming a ship etc is simply always a great thing.

Man the water guns! 

piracy1.jpg

IMG_5950-1024x682.jpg

blackbeards-pirate-cruise-north-myrtle-b

You could have three factions, one civilian crew for the civilian ship that needs to get to its port.  Pirates that need to intercept and take the ship and make the crew hostages or be killed who then re spawn as pirates or the third faction the military rescue or elimination squad. create a scenario where the pirates can win, but perhaps can take the loot to their island where there can be another battle for control of the island.

Edited by XRobinson

I would say it would be best to not overcomplicate really.. two factions etc. Stationary ship. Etc.

Could be a cool mod to play with friends but most probably won't be in the core game. 

I don't think OP was really expecting it to be  :)

I still reckon thinking outside the box in terms of what can be done with the core game modes and map design can only be a positive, even if this might not be a priority. There simply can't be a down side to having a range of settings, gameplay styles etc, provided they are all tight enough to work well within the current or coming systems etc. Obviously the whole large scale combined arms stuff wouldn't work, but I could genuinely see a game mode about having to secure 2-5 things, for example, in an unknown location - very much like insurgency - but in somewhat more narrow settings, even if that reduced playercount somewhat. Tools like boats, helos etc. could still be given to be used however a team wants. I'm not saying boats would work unless it was a supertanker or a cruise ship - but it could still surely allow 20vs20 or similar? Just could see something like that - even with vastly reduced tickets (if tickets at all) or permadeath or some other solution - really working without too much effort and being a lot of fun.

Incidentally, the Knock Nevis, aka Seawise Giant [generally considered the largest supertanker ever built; certainly the longest] had 31,541 m2 of deckspace. Given the amount of fittings and different ship areas, I'd say this is  enough to have an interesting game. It had a crew of 40, who were spread out over nearly half a km of ship. With internal space as well, this is why I consider this to have genuine potential. Would be quite interesting to have a mechanic for boarding from boats so that the defenders had to observe for the first minute or so without knowing where ingress would take place etc. Definitely would only work for a 'hunt the object' style mode or a plain retaking of the ship's key areas or similar, but.. I still kind of like the general premise.

On 21/09/2018 at 1:51 PM, suds said:

this was a great game

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sid+Meier's+Pirates+1987&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

220px-Sid_Meier's_Pirates!_(1987)_Coveraimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3I-6rTeec2qI6lUbO-WG

....back in my day gameplay was all we had :P

those graphics are amazing ... I need to update my pc.... ah micropose.... it brings a tear to the eye seeing that on a box ..they had some great games.

Edited by embecmom