St.Sabath

Questions regarding map/mod requirements

Hi there,

Long time lurker,first time poster in this section.

I would appreciate some more knowledgeable  people here,or an Admin/ Offworld-Dev to answer a couple of questions regarding creating a map/mod for Squad.

I'm a Environment-Artist in the industry in daily life,and have been for 10+years or so.

I really enjoy Squad,and I'm planning on creating an environment/ map/mod for Squad that can be used by all,however i have a couple of questions in regards to the creation of it:

-Modding 2.0:

-Will the modding 2.0 SDK be based on UE 4.16.3,or are you guys migrating it to 4.20.2?

Reason i ask this question is,since 4.16.3, a lot of new features have been implemented,and would be very beneficial to use.

The answer to the above,might be a reason for me to withhold the actual creation of my environment for this moment,and await the new version of the SDK.

-Will the new SDK have a more standardized folder structure ,and have a general cleanup,since at the moment stuff is all over the place.

-Will the new SDK have mods setup as their own sub structures, so people can use  can use levels,sub levels,or are we bound to a main folder structure?

-I know Modding 2.0 is close to finished,and i'm not expecting exact dates here. However a ballpark bracket would be nice(days/weeks/a month?)

-Current SDK:

-Do i have to use the content that comes with the  Squad SDK,or am i free to create my own:

-Substances/Textures

-Meshes

-Blueprints

-Lighting

-Material Functions/Materials

-Landscape Materials

-Physical Materials

-Scripts and script alterations

-VFX

-Audio

-Any other functionalities that are available,however not utilized in the engine version currently used as SDK

-Etc. Etc. you get the point..

Thanks in advance,

Sabath

I'll try to answer everything from my current knowledge.

17 hours ago, St.Sabath said:

Will the modding 2.0 SDK be based on UE 4.16.3,or are you guys migrating it to 4.20.2?

It will still be 4.16.3 until Squad itself switches, which may or may not happen, since it's quite a stunt.

18 hours ago, St.Sabath said:

Will the new SDK have a more standardized folder structure ,and have a general cleanup,since at the moment stuff is all over the place.

Folder structure will most likely stay like it is right now, since it's the structure of the game and won't likely change because it can become really annoying.

Will the new SDK have mods setup as their own sub structures, so people can use  can use levels,sub levels,or are we bound to a main folder structure?

The thing with mods being their own folder and everything happening in there like it is now will stay the same from what I saw, it's also the cleanest way in my opinion.

Do i have to use the content that comes with the  Squad SDK,or am i free to create my own:

You can create whatever you want yourself and use it inside your mod, just not any code stuff, since all of that must be in Blueprints.