Brightnight

Russian Uniform Authenticity - Suggestions

Just wanted to post this on the forums, see if it gets any exposure. I think most of the community would be thankful if these issues are corrected whenever developers find time. (Maybe after the game is "feature-complete"). These are just little things that irk me. Maybe its just my OCD.

The uniforms for the Russians are not accurate at all. They are clearly based on press reportage of 2014 Crimean Crisis and the gear of Russian Naval Infantry and VDV deployed in 2014. This game clearly does not take place in 2014, as seen with US and British troops and their equipment. I think it is fair to say that the RU faction is in need of a makeover, specifically to make the models more authentic and true to the actual uniforms of Russian servicemen. I don't know why the original models were chosen. Maybe lack of research or foresight? Does the dev team still have military advisors from RU? Would be interesting to hear how this came to be.

(Before this sperg starts, I just want to begin this with an urgent plea - Change the face of the Russian LAT/HAT/GPMG. That dude looks so comically ugly. Hes like Sloth from The Goonies. Thank you).

1. Inaccurate body armor and load bearing equipment (Red: Wrong Blue: Right )

Current models in-game showcase Russian servicemen with 6B27 helmets and, seemingly, 6B23 body armor/vest. This were replaced from 2015-2017 with the newer 6B47 helmet and 6B43/5 body armor/vest. 

6B27 Helmet (Basis of In-game asset)                               6B47 Helmet (Standard Issue)

6b27_r_enl-930x450.jpg   imgrc0064244210.jpg

6B23 Body armor/Vest (Basis of In-game asset)                             6B43/5 vest

DSC00728-1000x1000.jpgDSC00734-1000x1000.jpg

6B24/6sh112-6 Load-bearing harness                                             6sh117 Load-bearing harness

Bunny_workshop_6sh112-700x521.png6sh117-vest-1.jpg   

6sh117-russian-army-vest.jpg

2. Uniforms/misc. equipment

While VKBO is still widespread and more or less standard summer uniform, 6sh122 suit is worn heavily by most infantry. (Think of it like an army issued Gorka. Two sided combat pajamas).

6sh122 (Both sides. Standard Issue.)

DSC03705-1000x1000.jpgDSC03709-1000x1000.jpg

6B51 Knee and Elbow pads as well as 6sh122 gloves and 6B50 eye-wear

IMG_0850-1000x1000.pngDSC0165624-1000x1000.jpgDSC02607-1000x1000.jpg

That pretty much ends my OCD-induced rant about the models. It'll just be here if you ever want to make your in-game assets more authentic. I understand this is low priority and is pointless from a gameplay perspective. Thanks for reading anyways.

Russia_develops_helmet_with_integrated_c59b007c715e9f945fe1e0c06.jpgkostyum-maskirovochnyy-dvukhstoronniy-6s

Edited by Brightnight

Pretty sure the game is based on how the armies looked 5 to 10 years ago and not 100% current. So if you say these were changes in equipment from 2015-2017 these will not be implemented.

Im am not 100% sure though.

Very informative read. It would definitely be nice if they got upgraded at some point.

I also completely agree  that one of the Russian face models looks like a caricature and really falls below the standard set by all the other models. That’s how I’ve felt since the first time I saw it.

Edited by fatalsushi

All factions in game aren't tied to a specific time zone.

2 hours ago, Romby said:

Pretty sure the game is based on how the armies looked 5 to 10 years ago and not 100% current. So if you say these were changes in equipment from 2015-2017 these will not be implemented.

I think one of the points of OP’s post is that the in-game models don’t even reflect how the Russian army was outfitted in the past because they’re based on naval infantry and vdv troops.

3 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

I think one of the points of OP’s post is that the in-game models don’t even reflect how the Russian army was outfitted in the past because they’re based on naval infantry and vdv troops.

I understand this as if they have equipment from before 2015 (which should fit quite well in Squad)

On 4.9.2018 at 7:11 PM, Brightnight said:

Current models in-game showcase Russian servicemen with 6B27 helmets and, seemingly, 6B23 body armor/vest. This were replaced from 2015-2017 with the newer 6B47 helmet and 6B43/5 body armor/vest.

6 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Thanks for the feedback on the motherland's forces :)

No problem. Hope I didn't come off as too condescending. The models of all factions are done superbly. (Seriously, its GOOD.) However, this faction is just missing some key bits of authenticity that exist with other factions, such as the US and UK.

17 hours ago, Romby said:

Devs just added the P320 to the US faction. That was just accepted into service last year. There is not specific time period as @Melbo said. The uniform change and body armor improvements for Russian infantry started before the game even came out on Steam. I think the devs def have given themselves the creative room to make any updates if they see it necessary. In this case, I think it is.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hear me out.

Edited by Brightnight

Finally, a good thread. Even the current models are inaccurate for the time their supposedly portraying. With the snowboarding goggles, being marines, and having desert camo only issued to engineers.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, Brightnight said:

No problem. Hope I didn't come off as too condescending. The models of all factions are done superbly. (Seriously, its GOOD.) However, this faction is just missing some key bits of authenticity that exist with other factions, such as the US and UK.

Devs just added the P320 to the US faction. That was just accepted into service last year. There is not specific time period as @Melbo said. The uniform change and body armor improvements for Russian infantry started before the game even came out on Steam. I think the devs def have given themselves the creative room to make any updates if they see it necessary. In this case, I think it is.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hear me out.

Apparently now certain members of the Russian military also wear knockoff Multicam/OCP Scorpion as well huh?

https://www.rt.com/news/437976-russian-military-drills-mediterranean/

On 9/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Apparently now certain members of the Russian military also wear knockoff Multicam/OCP Scorpion as well huh?

https://www.rt.com/news/437976-russian-military-drills-mediterranean/

Those are special forces, not regular army or even marines. Special units are given the freedom of buying their own gear, especially when it comes to uniforms. It seems they buy them in bulk on runet or stores, idk. Regular Army cannot buy different uniforms or camouflaged clothing for obvious reasons. 

5 hours ago, Brightnight said:

Those are special forces, not regular army or even marines. Special units are given the freedom of buying their own gear, especially when it comes to uniforms. It seems they buy them in bulk on runet or stores, idk. Regular Army cannot buy different uniforms or camouflaged clothing for obvious reasons. 

Yeah, I get that. But why on Earth would they want to equip any Russian military in uniforms that are nearly identical to the current issue US Army & Air Force OCP Scorpion? Seems a bit strange especially since anywhere in Syria has the potential to instantly be a war zone with any numbers of factions confusing them for American's.

You certainly don't see the opposite occuring with US operators wearing Russian uniforms...