FIXXXER

what happened to the sound?

It's been a while since i have posted here, guess i'm back and as usual i have to complain! :P

What the hell happened to the sound?

It seems like it's getting worse and worse from update to update.

At this point it is almost impossible to locate where a sound is coming from.

Everything sounds like it's sitting on top of the players head.

Especially wehicles are extremely hard to localise, it always sounds like the vehicles are directly next to me,

no matter if they are in front of me, behind me,  10 or 100 meters away.

Same for gunshots, it always sounds like i am being killed by someone standing right next to me, even if there is nobody around.

Maybe i am wrong but i remember that it was pretty easy to locate sound sources in the earlier stages of the game, or maybe not?

Anyone else thinking the same?

Maybe it's a bug?

Posted (edited)

I think sounds have gotten extremely much better. Much more realistic now. Especially far away sounds. Directional wise I haven't noticed anything become worse either. I play with headphones and use this piece of virtual surround software from razer. I find it works really well. It requires no hardware and costs like $20 bucks) when I bought it). I believe it is based around the Head-related-transfer-function technology. Likely better than the cheap hardware headsets people use anyway. Don't know much else about it except that it is very cheap on the Cpu as well. I think you can try demo for free if I am not mistaking. Check it out!

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

I'll try that Razer Software, though i am not sure if it will work with my setup as i am using an USB AD/DA.

Generally i like the Sound too it's jsut something about the location that does not work correctly, at least for me.

Posted (edited)

Hmm, haven't noticed anything wrong with sounds lately and I'm not using any special software/hardware, just a pair of decent headphones.

Edited by bravo2zero

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

I'll try that Razer Software, though i am not sure if it will work with my setup as i am using an USB AD/DA.

Generally i like the Sound too it's jsut something about the location that does not work correctly, at least for me.

I have 2-ch sound as well to my headphones. It doesn't operate at that level. Instead it modifies the sounds coming to your 2 ears from the game with position dependent filters and delays. I guess tapped from more virtual channels or something. The fact is that we have 2 ears so naturally all positions should be able to be simulated with just a pair of headphones. There is a reason our ears look funny and that is to filter sounds coming from different directions differently so we can determine where they are coming from. Also there is typically a 30ms delay between a sound coming from the left before hitting your right ear. The software is trying to mimic this by applying a head related transfer function I believe. A filter derived from actually recordings of different frequencies around a plastic head with microphones in its ear. That is what I think is going on. Haven't looked into it more carefully though. Bottom line is that I think it does something for me when I play. Try it.

Whether usb is involved doesn't matter because it is in the digital domain still. And all systems must have a DAC at the end. Mine resides at the Sound card instead. I guess what you are aiming at is if there are multiple channels or something...if you have that virtual surround stuff in hardware on your USB dac already you are going to want to turn that off of course.

6 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

Don't waste your money, you can simulate such technologies for free now. https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/#installation

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Don't waste your money, you can simulate such technologies for free now. https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/#installation

Thats cool. Though I guess you pay for not having to mess with configuration and stuff. $20 is not much. Do you know if this is any good? Did you try it?

Just now, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Thats cool. Though I guess you for not having to mess with configuration and stuff. $20 is not much. Do you know if this is any good? Did you try it?

I have and it works very well. The problem with spending money on this is that everyone has different ears and the solution you're buying might not be good for you. With HeSuVi you can switch between them and the installation takes 10 min anyway.

Posted (edited)

Something's ****y with sound direction that's for sure. Far-off shots have a different sound effect but don't sound too much quiter than close ones. In some cases they seem louder. And it's actually impossible to tell whether any sound is coming from directly in front or behind you. Which can lead to major confusion when you think you hear an enemy vehicle creeping over the hill in front of you but it's actually about to **** you from the rear.

HyperX Cloud

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

1 hour ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Something's ****y with sound direction that's for sure. Far-off shots have a different sound effect but don't sound too much quiter than close ones. In some cases they seem louder. And it's actually impossible to tell whether any sound is coming from directly in front or behind you. Which can lead to major confusion when you think you hear an enemy vehicle creeping over the hill in front of you but it's actually about to **** you from the rear.

HyperX Cloud

This sounds typically like the most basic sound setup for sure. Equal sounds from front or rear because equal distance for sound to travel. Try the HRTF software and see if helps. Then sounds will be filtered different from front VS back.

Yes I agree.

Sometimes the sound is WAY off. I have tested 3 different headsets. With stereo and 7.1, usb soundcard and a regular soundcard.  97% of the time it´s on point

2 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

This sounds typically like the most basic sound setup for sure. Equal sounds from front or rear because equal distance for sound to travel. Try the HRTF software and see if helps. Then sounds will be filtered different from front VS back.

I really shouldn't have to jump through these hoops and aquire 3rd party software for a game's sound to work but ok I guess.

22 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Dude, just call it surround sound software. The Razer software works very well but the bass is way too much. That's all it is.