Hello everyone!

I 've noticed that in most maps the sun is not facing the EAST or WEST.

Here is an example from OP First Light AAS v1.

Spoiler

TPbvrzv.jpg

Always with good will,

Battlecator | B|

This picture is probably not a good example screenshot. The sun being slightly north and high up like that simply means it's in the middle of the day, it all depends on where in the world you are.

Check with your local sun at about lunchtime today ;)

I think you'd need to be close to the equator in order to see sun rise and set to your east and west respectively.

Posted (edited)

I live in a country near the equator. The sun during the day is making an arc from the east to the west. To be honest it just feels strange to see the sun somewhere else. But that's true the closer the sun gets to the peak of the arc, the harder it is to tell where is EAST and where is WEST respectively.

Edited by battlecator

Posted (edited)

No matter were you live the sun will not be directly above you at noon and east/west of you rest of day all year. The sun will always be at least a little north/south, except for people living on a line around the earth (position of line changes with the seasons because of axial tilt of the earth).

But you are right that it is strange that the sun is towards the north on First Light, since generally if you are on the northern part of the globe the sun should be towards the south/southeast/southwest (eastern European map).

Edited by Romby

Out of all the things to criticize this "early prototype map that was turned into a real gameplay map", this is an interesting take ;)

Agree that for fully developed maps, its nice to have theoretically correct/possible sun position.

How hard is it to select all and spin an entire map in the editor? A question, not a sarcastic comment... :)

4 minutes ago, suds said:

How hard is it to select all and spin an entire map in the editor? A question, not a sarcastic comment... :)

Don't you think it would be more practical just to move the sun? :D

On 22/08/2018 at 10:16 AM, fuzzhead said:

Out of all the things to criticize this "early prototype map that was turned into a real gameplay map", this is an interesting take ;)

Agree that for fully developed maps, its nice to have theoretically correct/possible sun position.

I don't think hes criticising it in a disapproving way, merely an observation and highlighting it. What an interesting take. ;) 

@MultiSquid No absolutely not.

Most mappers will place the sun very carefully for specific shadows and gameplay reasons, it would also match the skybox usually but that wouldnt be so hard to fix.

Rotating all the assets to match a compass which is fixed in direction by the game or orienting the compass asset (no idea how it works) to match the map design would be far better :)

Yeap Devon, keen observation and not taken as criticism at all from me - I was not around when this map was being created in 2015 , and I dont think they were so concerned with the suns position at that point in development ;)

Great tiny realism feature to keep in mind for future map building

Greeks sure do like the sun!

I know a greek guy that can tell the time by just looking at the sun. 

In any case, I don't think this is a deal breaker honestly....more important things to work on....

Yeap, I didn't post this to say that "the game is bad" or the "developers are lazy". I was seeding the other day, on the server of my unit, and I just noticed it.