Jump to content
SpecialAgentJohnson

What is the purpose of modding?

Recommended Posts

What is the purpose of modding really? When a mod is good enough, is it meant that that piece of code is then possibly lifted into the game itself? Or is just for the purpose of the mod-dev himself and his friends having a little fun, and nothing more? In that case it seems a little meaningless, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The purpose of modding is to edit the game in the way people want, wether for fun, or because they think something is missing from the game, doesn't really matter. Modding is never pointless, because if anything it gives more people experience with the game engine. Potentially becoming devs for some studio in the future.

 

Squad exists because of a Battlefield 2 mod named Project Reality. These devs were modders before.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually a good question. 

 

Don't you fear modding will split, an already small community into even smaller groups. 

 

What du you guys think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that modding will make this game so much better, I bet in 2-3 years we will have quit a few "community" faction mods and a buttload of different maps from which the most awesome ones will hopefully be even transferred/put into the base game. (And of course complete new game modes, and stuff that is not even "basic Squad" anymore)

 

Modding for me was always the best part about games like Half Life, Half Life 2, BF2 and a lot of other titles. My favourite games/mods I played (PR, CS 1.6, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra) and the current Favs (Squad obviously, PS, CS:GO, Killing Floor 2) all come from mods.

 

I cant believe that people think modding will be bad for this game :o

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

What is the purpose of modding really? When a mod is good enough, is it meant that that piece of code is then possibly lifted into the game itself? Or is just for the purpose of the mod-dev himself and his friends having a little fun, and nothing more? In that case it seems a little meaningless, no?

From a sardonic perspective though isn't everything in your life meaningless, no? You're born, you go to obedience training (school), get some job you hate, pay taxes, retire, eventually kick the bucket and if you're somebody really important you might get a statue chiseled out of stone or perhaps a clay tablet that mentions your name right? That said, it's about the process, not the result.

 

So yeah, modding was an important part of the grandfather to Squad which is the Delta Force series and it brings people harmless enjoyment I don't see what's the problem.

Edited by Zylfrax791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Modding, ideally, let's people make tweaks, changes or overhaul the game to fit their own personal taste or create a completely unique experience using the game as a base. There's been many examples of mods that extend the life or scope of a game and like PR can go onto to create a foundation for future full fledged games like Squad. There's also a lot of examples of fun little mods that use a game as a base to do things that are unpredictable and really interesting like Zombie Infection in Counter-Strike, Trouble in Terrorist Town for GMOD or Battle Royale for Arma.

 

Though not preferable mods also often work to fix issues in games or fill content voids. Hopefully when development of Squad is finished these type of mods will not be necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

From a sardonic perspective though isn't everything in your life meaningless, no? You're born, you go to obedience training (school), get some job you hate, pay taxes, retire, eventually kick the bucket and if you're somebody really important you might get a statue chiseled out of stone or perhaps a clay tablet that mentions your name right? That said, it's about the process, not the result.

 

So yeah, modding was an important part of the grandfather to Squad which is the Delta Force series and it brings people harmless enjoyment I don't see what's the problem.

No, it's not that for me, i'ts that:

"Oh! Someone built this cool thing where you can barricade the windows... or you know, the Canadian faction...or whatever".

Then realizing:

"Oh! It's just a mod. I will never get that cool feature unless I play on an empty server with no players on it"...

 

So, basically meaningless for the game itself in that sense. Unless of course, if some maps and stuff could be lifted back into the real game of course.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

No, it's not that for me, i'ts that:

"Oh! Someone built this cool thing where you can barricade the windows... or you know, the Canadian faction...or whatever".

Then realizing:

"Oh! It's just a mod. I will never get that cool feature unless I play on an empty server with no players on it"...

 

So, basically meaningless for the game itself in that sense. Unless of course, if some maps and stuff could be lifted back into the real game of course.

 

I don't understand the logic. If a mod is created for the game you can play it, like the base game, so how is it meaningless? It has just as much meaning as the base game.

 

The problem at the moment is that the modding infrastructure is in its most basic iteration and we don't have any 'killer mods' yet to draw people in. Modding 2.0 is looking to fix the infrastructure issue and there's a sizeable modding community making content. Whether modding blows up is purely up to time but labelling the whole practice as meaningless is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

No, it's not that for me, i'ts that:

"Oh! Someone built this cool thing where you can barricade the windows... or you know, the Canadian faction...or whatever".

Then realizing:

"Oh! It's just a mod. I will never get that cool feature unless I play on an empty server with no players on it"...

 

So, basically meaningless for the game itself in that sense. Unless of course, if some maps and stuff could be lifted back into the real game of course.

You do understand there's already user created content in the actual game right? I'm not going to list it all out for you but I'm sure others here can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To OP:

 

People fear of modding cause of Arma... its was never executed there well (that game had terrible network issues all the way back to Operation Flashpoint).

 

I think these devs are well aware of that fact. Basically, you have this game thanks to modding of BF2. And three maps are ingame thanks to modding (Kokan, Basrah, Mestia). Three developers came directly from modding scene of this game. Now, think about it. You may find your question quite silly then.

Edited by Disco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I don't find it silly because you basically answered the question I was asking.

 

The best maps in the game are in thanks to modding. Lifting stuff back into the game. That makes sense! Going around making maps that are great but noone but you play on, that wouldn't make sense. 

 

I don't fear of modding whatsoever, I just wanna know how it is good for me who never plays any mods but the base game because I don't wanna fool around on empty servers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purpose of modding using pictures:

main-qimg-a7627633ca4de0624628f34a1b7f4b

 

Plain car not much fun.

Moddified car:

 

article-2026967-0D76468000000578-915_102

 

Much more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

No I don't find it silly because you basically answered the question I was asking.

 

The best maps in the game are in thanks to modding. Lifting stuff back into the game. That makes sense! Going around making maps that are great but noone but you play on, that wouldn't make sense. 

 

I don't fear of modding whatsoever, I just wanna know how it is good for me who never plays any mods but the base game because I don't wanna fool around on empty servers. 

Current situation is not intended... just a transitioning phase. They had to start somehow and somewhere. They are not satisfied with modded servers being empty. Check out what Modding 2.0 means. There are some articles by OWI and some Roundtables/SquadChat discussions.

 

In my opinion, thing that is holding modded servers currently are size of the mods (not the talent of our modding scene, they are great!). Any new gametypes, layouts, feats, factions, weapons etc are tied to the maps. Maps are quite big in size at the moment and its ridiclous to have 10-50 GB of space just sitting on disk (especially if it's SSD). OWI is very aware of the issues and they are working hard to improve the situation. In the beginning of anything, there are always some hurdles to overcome. What we definitively don't want (and I don't think they want it too) is situation like it was with V10. It's better to start early and keep open... things will improve along the way.

 

Squad's modding scene is pretty important for this game. It will probably be main source of new maps and factions which will give game longevity. These developers have company now. They need to earn money which means they will move along and make new projects. I hope they will give Squad a long-term support somehow but modding is what will keep this game going for years to come. So there you go... purpose of modding for Squad is to keep this game pure and awesome :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will mods be implemented into the full game? for example the Canadian forces? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MINTY said:

Will mods be implemented into the full game? for example the Canadian forces? 

It happened before (kokan, basrah)... i don't see why it wouldn't happen again? As Guan_Yu007 said before... let's just wait and see until Modding 2.0 comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the purpose of your question actually? That, for me, is being harder to answer right now.

 

Some mods were considered so good they were implemented on the vanilla game. Some mod devs were hired. Some other people mod for fun, experimenting with stuff. So? What is so strange about this for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OWI plans to fully embrace modding in Squad. Yes right now it's not ideal and difficult to get players to try out mods like the Helicopter mod and all the cool new maps in development. It's being worked on to integrate modding more seamlessly.

 

You can see above that modded maps have been added to the game. An example is the Russian AK74M Aimpoint, which was a mod, that was then added to the base game. And the creator (Assi) is now hired on the dev team!

 

Not my area to speak specifics, but I think this trend will continue if a mod meets the quality standards and the team agrees it's a good fit for the Squad gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Axel said:

Actually a good question. 

 

Don't you fear modding will split, an already small community into even smaller groups. 

 

What du you guys think? 

 

I do fear that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any actual examples from the past (from any game) where mods indeed did split communities and kinda killed the game ?

What Ive seen in the past were popular mods attracting new players, while the vanilla game’s community kept existing. But Ive never seen any mod splitting a community which then stopped existing because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KaB said:

Are there any actual examples from the past (from any game) where mods indead did split communities and kinda killed the game ?

What Ive seen in the past were popular mods attracting new players, while the vanilla game’s community kept existing. But Ive never seen any mod splitting a community which then stopped existing because of that.

Battlefield 2 and Project Reality! :-) 

 

Hard core dudes went PR and kids wend BF2 vanilla. But BF is still bigger than ever... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, Disco said:

To OP:

 

People fear of modding cause of Arma... its was never executed there well (that game had terrible network issues all the way back to Operation Flashpoint).

 

I think these devs are well aware of that fact. Basically, you have this game thanks to modding of BF2. And three maps are ingame thanks to modding (Kokan, Basrah, Mestia). Three developers came directly from modding scene of this game. Now, think about it. You may find your question quite silly then.

Actually thanks to really long continuum from nineties when the modding and inbuild game editors (map editors mainly) were more common than they are today, many devs (former or current) have started even before the PR, like IronTaxi who IIRC were already modding/mapping for 1st DooM . 

 

I have warm feeling about build.exe, Stunts Track editor and Jagged Alliance: Deadly games mission editor (we did 30 level mission pack with friend one summer it were nice) myself. :)

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, KaB said:

Are there any actual examples from the past (from any game) where mods indeed did split communities and kinda killed the game ?

What Ive seen in the past were popular mods attracting new players, while the vanilla game’s community kept existing. But Ive never seen any mod splitting a community which then stopped existing because of that.

One more Joint Operations: Escalation (which were official expansion) the developer No(va)Logic sold these too long separately, while the latter were just a expansion for the vanilla (Game were like BF: Vietnam with lots of steroids and HC mode only). On the other hand some people claim that the 'CoD Kids' did kill it, In reality Armed Assault (ArmA 1) and BF:BC did good job to kill it, while in 2nd reality it took to about 2012 to really drop in players  and even today there is some activity (while the days of 100+ player battles have long gone). 

 

The CO-OP scene is still living as there is literally thousands maps available to this oldie, but goldie.

 

 

Quote do bug, can paste this to previous post.

 

 

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×