Hello Squad Community,

I thought about a snapping tool for building.

Yesterday I played with my Squad and we build a Superfob. One of my friends build all the sandbags... he wasn't very precise because we need to hurry up.  When he began to place the upper sandbags the thing started getting worse. We build small gaps for walking in and out and if the enemy rush the fob we can easy defend.

These small gaps worked with the lower sandbags but when he placed the upper ones nobody was able to get through. We had to destroy all upper sandbags and replace them very precise which cost a lot of time we doesn't had. 

I think if there were something like a snapping tool which you can enable and disable for personal preferences. With this tool you can Safe a lot of time. 

Please give me feedback if you think it's a good Idea.

@MultiSquid

The actual scenario is : U build a line of sandbags and u want to place another line exactly on top of it to get the higher wall, you can place it there but there is some space where u can drag it on top of the lower sandbags... there is a high chance to place the upper one oblique (if I can say that) to the lower ones. 

With the snapping tool the scenario is like this : U buid a line of sandbags and you want to place another line exactly on top of it, you can enable the snapping tools to fit the edges and corners of the lower line of Sandbags to the edges and corners of the upper line. 

If you to build oblique is that what u want to do you can disable the tool and build freely as it is at the moment in A11. 

Of course you can expand the features of the snapping tool in all directions but I think its only needed in height.

Hope this Information is enough :)

found this video where you can see the function of snapping :)

Edited by ReDuX3R

I think the fundamental issue here is when placing a fortification on top of another fortification, you kinda have to find the sweet spot before it appears green and it's placeable. This is where some SL's (im also guilty) don't always take the time to find a perfect placement and just get the 2nd fortification fast to get that section placed and move on to the next double section. 

A snapping tool? Sure why not, but give the ability to turn it on/off.

I would much rather have an imperfect but finished section rather than a perfect unfinished section....

IMO it would be nice if defences were forced to snap on top of what they are placed on, not just for expediency but also to eliminate ugly and unrealistic floating sandbags. As Squad is in general such a beautiful game, it's a shame that FOBs often look like hastily-crafted elementary school dioramas. 

22 hours ago, CptDirty said:

A snapping tool? Sure why not, but give the ability to turn it on/off.

Ye, thats what I meant with you can disable and build freely as it is at the moment :)

But I'm glad that some others like my idea :) I hope some dev's maybe become attentive on this thread and try to add this feature :)

22 hours ago, pinko said:

it's a shame that FOBs often look like hastily-crafted elementary school dioramas. 

Bildergebnis für hasty crafted elementary school diorama

Lol u mean FOBS look like this ? xD I nearly pissed myself when I read this xD 

Hmm, it ain't that hard. I'd prefer the devs focused on other placement issues like getting bipods less finicky 

True dat, for me it's mostly an aesthetic thing.. definitely secondary to gameplay at this point

no snapping please. i'd much rather more variety.

if there is signifincat performance gains for some deployables then snapping more on top to form a new mesh is fine. Keep some things like sandbags more freeform to allow for variation.

Sometimes that little gap or little overhang you can stand on is perfect. More freedom is better in a lot of situations.

Also currently only the losing team spends time building. The winning team just walks up, climbs in and shoots the fools who have not been patrolling.