Cave Man

Playing Squad with a controller? Yep... *copied from steam

Yes KB&M reign supreme. You can't beat the accuracy of a mouse. That being said, I've created a controller template for Squad, and next Post Scriptum... 
My original template has over 9,000 hours of community playtime, but once v.10 and .11 rolled out it no longer worked well as the game mechanics changed drastically. So I made a new one and have been playing on it since the launch of v.10. 
I only recently uploaded it as to work out the kinks and I have to say, it works great*.

So why in the hell would I use a controller? Well, I made these templates so I can play Squad at work. I'm an EMT and work on an ambulance for 12 hours at a time so to kill a few hours I decided to bring my pc on board. Juggling a KB&M quickly became a PITA so I made it work, in a different sort of way. So now that the new template is floating on the community page couch gamers, and people in my situation where KB&M aren't possible, can now enjoy playing Squad. My brother's yt channel, The Hammer And Tickle, has quite a few videos of us both playing Squad with a controller. 

I hope this post doesn't invoke the wraith of the master race, as I myself have PC blood coursing through my veins. Just don't mind those NES, PS1, and X360 genes. 
Thanks for reading! 

CaveMan

EDIT: the template is for Xbox360 and One controllers. Will work fine with dual shock as well.

I hope you put down the controller for at least a few minutes while you are...you know...saving someones life...

"Put the controller down man, we have to save this guy's life!"

"Hold on, I need to revive the squad leader!"

On 8/14/2018 at 9:07 AM, fuzzhead said:

That is some pretty awesome dedication CaveMan!!!!

Thank you!

Awesome!

And G29 version of this would be cool as well. I'd love to drive transport and logi trucks using a steering wheel.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:05 AM, Ceceli said:

Awesome!

And G29 version of this would be cool as well. I'd love to drive transport and logi trucks using a steering wheel.

I have to say it wouldn't be impossible. Mapping the "controller" wouldn't be hard. The hard part would be to make it feel right which is impossible as that'll be a part of the game that can't be changed. Hopefully the devs will allow controllers, including steering controllers, to be part of the game so all activities would be smoothed over.

Like with my template if you're sprinting and then aim your character no longer sprints. For you to continue to sprint you'll need to click the left stick twice to sprint again. Reason? It's just the game. If I'm holding shift to sprint and right click mouse, my character stops sprinting to aim but when I stop aiming while continuing to hold shift he will not resume the sprint. I have to release and press and hold shift again. Not a big deal on a keyboard, but it's a slight nuisance with the controller. 

Also, my controller template has a driver mode. Hop into a vehicle and hold A(on xbox controller) for a second and INFANTRY mode will switch to DRIVER mode, which sort of feels like driving a car in a typical console game. It has a total of 3 modes you can switch to. Sounds complicated but really isn't. INFANTRY mode for just that, running around with a gun. Driver mode for driving all vehicles. And GUNNER mode for when you're on a gun inside a vehicle. All modes can be switched smoothly.

Edited by Cave Man

I get it. Tons of games have those quirks. Annoying as shit on some of them. PUBG for instance... If you jump, fall or get out of a vehicle, your character will only ADS once your feet has been on the ground for 1 second. So you get stuck in that retarded system that you need to shoot the guy, but you can't ADS, so you end up shooting him with the crosshair wipe open and die. If you try to click several times to ADS, you won't even shoot and you most likely will ADS and then back out of it twice.

The easiest thing for them to to would be to program it so that once the player hits the ground, your command to ADS will then get triggered - since you clicked "mid air" and do it. But do they do that? Noooo.....

I would absolutely LOVE to see foot pedals supported in game some time in the distant future, so those dedicated armor crews can REALLY get into their armor action :D