Verdin

Battlefield 3 Project Reality mod

I was doing some surfing and happened upon a YT video claiming to have a PR mod underway and the ability for custom maps in BF3.

Evidently a mod that started years ago (Venice Unleashed) is approaching some 1.0 milestone.

Does anyone have any information, like is this PR type mod just more wishful thinking like PR 2 and PR Arma, or a real deal?

Posted (edited)

If Project Reality BF3 becomes a reality I will be deleting many games from my steam library because this will satisfy my gaming needs.

Edited by Rainmaker

I saw this a couple of years ago, tbh I dont think its going to be a thing, I hope I am wrong

these guys seems pretty enthusiastic... check out discord, they need some server provider for testing. PM Powback

I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to know if its the same bf3 maps but with customized buildings/emplacements? If so then meh...I would like to see confirmation that this team is working on completely new maps with tweaked game mechanics to bring things like squad role importance, voip (wasnt any in the original game) new vehicles etc...not just dinosaurs and bunnies....

Also let's not forget this:

Hello everyone,

We will get right to the point: Electronic Arts Inc.' legal team has contacted us and nicely asked us to stop distributing and using their intellectual property. As diehard fans of the franchise, we will respect these stipulations.

Over the past 3 and a half years, Revive Network has filled a void in nearly 1 million players' hearts by bringing favorite titles back to life after online services were closed after the GameSpy shutdown. Only a few months ago, we took on the task of bringing multiplayer services online for a fan-favorite, Battlefield Heroes. The public reception for our efforts on this title were massive, and we never expected it to become as big as it was.

At this time, file downloads will be disabled.

This is probably the part where we have to say good bye. Before we leave the battlefield, we would like to thank all of the developers, artists, moderators, and last but not least every single player that helped make all of this a reality. Without you, it would not have become such a great time.

Signing off, 
- The Revive Network Team

Dear [REDACTED],

I write on behalf of Electronic Arts Inc. and its development studio DICE or, in other words, "those guys that make Battlefield."

We've noticed that Revive Network has several projects and websites devoted to being a Medic by "reviving" older Battlefield games, including Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield 2142. It's great to see your enthusiasm for these titles. Not to brag, but we too get the nostalgia chills when booting up these classic entries in the Battlefield franchise.

We need a favor though: we must ask that you stop throwing down Ammo Crates. In other, more legal-styled terms, please stop distributing copies of our game clients and using our trademarks, logos, and artwork on your sites. Thing is, your websites may easily mislead visitors to believe that you are associated or affiliated with EA - we're the only ones that get to wear the "Official EA" dog tag. Since you're Battlefield community members, we know that you are smart and helpful, and will respect that we must protect our intellectual property rights in the franchise.

Please drop us a line to let us know you're on board with this. Should you have any questions regarding all this, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at [REDACTED]@ea.com.

Thanks,

[REDACTED]
IP Counsel
Electronic Arts Inc.

Sent at: Oct 24, 2017, 06:03 UTC

https://revive.gg/notice/

giphy.gif

Cool xD !! 

I hope they will have enough talented men working on this , so we will have public alpha testing as soon as possible ! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CptDirty said:

I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to know if its the same bf3 maps but with customized buildings/emplacements? If so then meh...I would like to see confirmation that this team is working on completely new maps with tweaked game mechanics to bring things like squad role importance, voip (wasnt any in the original game) new vehicles etc...not just dinosaurs and bunnies....

Also let's not forget this:

https://revive.gg/notice/

I found some more information on Venice Unleashed itself in a Apr 2018 interview with two of the guys behind the project:

From what I understand, back in Apr they could take the existing maps in BF3 and reconfigure the objects and structures, expand playable area boundaries (even add in their own content and use single player maps in multiplayer) but the end goal of the project is to allow the implementation of completely new maps.  That's enough to peak my interest, though understandably not everyone will feel the same.

As for the whole Revive thing, they aren't distributing BF3 for free and don't allow cracked copies to utilize their system.  Even back in the version .8 that I have, you were required to legally own BF3 and had to link your Origin account to a VU account in order to play on their servers.  So it's not a complete free for all, like Revive was.  Could EA/Dice change their policies, of course, but these guys have been doing this for 5-6 years and have seemingly attempted to open lines of communication with EA.  So EA is fully aware of the project and could have sent a cease and desist at any point in the development.

Edited by Verdin

10 minutes ago, Verdin said:

I found some more information on Venice Unleashed itself in a Apr 2018 interview with two of the guys behind the project:

From what I understand, back in Apr they could take the existing maps in BF3 and reconfigure the objects and structures, expand playable area boundaries (even add in their own content and use single player maps in multiplayer) but the end goal of the project is to allow the implementation of completely new maps.  That's enough to peak my interest, though understandably not everyone will feel the same.

As for the whole Revive thing, they aren't distributing BF3 for free and don't allow cracked copies to utilize their system.  Even back in the version .8 that I have, you were required to legally own BF3 and had to link your Origin account to a VU account in order to play on their servers.  So it's not a complete free for all, like Revive was.  Could EA/Dice change their policies, of course, but these guys have been doing this for 5-6 years and have seemingly attempted to open lines of communication with EA.  So EA is fully aware of the project and could have sent a cease and desist at any point in the development.

I've played a couple of games on the VU servers about a year ago i think , the server was a 120hz tickrate + the somewhat annoying blue-ish filter of the game was removed ....it was a blast couple of games , no dying behind corners as far as i can tell . 

Its kinda hard for me to understand that BF3 is 7 years old already !! but in my opinion it has aged really really well , and to be honest .... Battlefield 3 is my favorite in the series ( besides BF2 ofcourse ) , and i would gladly support the mod developers with all my heart just to help them prove EA that modding IS benefical for the game xD . 

6 minutes ago, L0cation said:

I've played a couple of games on the VU servers about a year ago i think , the server was a 120hz tickrate + the somewhat annoying blue-ish filter of the game was removed ....it was a blast couple of games , no dying behind corners as far as i can tell . 

Its kinda hard for me to understand that BF3 is 7 years old already !! but in my opinion it has aged really really well , and to be honest .... Battlefield 3 is my favorite in the series ( besides BF2 ofcourse ) , and i would gladly support the mod developers with all my heart just to help them prove EA that modding IS benefical for the game xD . 

Aye, I was playing on the high tickrate servers with the blue filter removed as well.  It looked and felt much better than the official servers.  After the population completely dropped off (granted I never saw a huge player base  to begin with) I thought the project pretty much died.  Evidently I was quite wrong.  lol  I'm hopeful that it'll pick back up after the 1.0 release, because I think it could be a blast even with the limited capabilities as far as maps.  For example, I'd happily sink myself into PR-ish mod on Frostbite.  We  obviously don't know what (if anything)  will materialize, but I find even the idea to be interesting.

Hmmm I wonder if you inserted WW2 maps and vehicles and textures, props, guns....yes...another WW2 shooter!

I seen this too the other day. I've really wanted a game like project reality to manifest itself on a newer platform since the PR:BF2 servers started fading away. Maybe Project Reality can get a 2nd wind. I'm excited, but they're going to need people.

5 hours ago, Sokol said:

I seen this too the other day. I've really wanted a game like project reality to manifest itself on a newer platform since the PR:BF2 servers started fading away. Maybe Project Reality can get a 2nd wind. I'm excited, but they're going to need people.

PR BF2 is fading away for 10 years, I bet another 10 years and it probably won't finish fading away. 

damn... just played a couple of rounds on PR... amazing gameplay. Hope Squad gets there soon.

The internet doesn't seem to know much about this PR BF3 mod. I am shifting my feelings from hope to disbelief.

3 hours ago, Disco said:

damn... just played a couple of rounds on PR... amazing gameplay. Hope Squad gets there soon.

It really is still an awesome experience, glad you tried it out. The graphics might be aging but the pacing and gameplay is still top notch (pending if course good people to play with)

3 hours ago, wingman9 said:

The internet doesn't seem to know much about this PR BF3 mod. I am shifting my feelings from hope to disbelief.

The "venice unleashed" project was blowing up 2 years ago .... Every youtuber had atleast one video adressing the topic .... For some reason the hype died really fast ... I personally thought the project was dead until i saw the new update video . 

The project team is made up of a very small group ,they maybe might use some help . 

I think that we could help by asking some of the large youtubers to cover the topic again , to maybe bring up the hype again ....  This might pick the interest of more talented modders that might help them . 

And from the core team .... I expect them to realese everything they have as soon as possible for PUBLIC testing , even if it's broken as **** , this will keep people from feeling the project is dying .

If people enjoy working on and playing this Venice thingy then more power to them. However, considering all the new incredible titles dropping between now and the holidays even established games in this genre are going to have a rough time competing for players in such an already oversaturated market.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:48 AM, Rainmaker said:

If Project Reality BF3 becomes a reality I will be deleting many games from my steam library because this will satisfy my gaming needs.

Squad will be the first to go. Excited to see what happens