Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2waETWO.png

 

 

SQUAD LEADER 101 is the complete manual to becoming an effective SL in SQUAD. It includes kit and role breakdown, leadership tips, infantry tactics, callouts, and much more. It's written to be the ultimate guide to Squad Leading and should help many aspiring SL's learn the ropes. If you like it, please upvote it and leave a comment on Steam.

 

GUIDE CONTENTS
i. Introduction

ii. Earning the Stripes

 

1. Squad Leader Basics

2. The Squad Leader

3. R.O.P.E.

4. Rallies and Fobs

5. Infantry Tactics

6. Squad Roles

7. Vehicles

8. Leadership I
9. Leadership II

10. Callouts

 

Link to the Steam Guide

Edited by Vance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to reading ready to point out your mistakes and I found none. Some of the very few things I might disagree with are largely subjective and/or situational, so why even bother. You've clearly put a lot of work into this guide and it shows, nice job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked the positive reinforcement paragraph. I think more SL's and even players in general should foster positive behavior as it increases the moral of the squad and people will naturally listen to what else the SL has to say if SL thanked them for a job well done. 

 

One thing I would've liked to see on the guide is communication with pubbies. Many players play public games with randoms, to complicate things even further some of those randoms have unpronounceable or too long nicknames. So what I do when I want to address them I find it much easier to use the kit/vehicle they're using instead. It's much easier for an SL to paint a mental image of his squad as kits/vehicles rather than people's names. It also doesn't hurt to confirm every now and then the kit a squad member is using because especially on public games some people switch in/out of kits and players tend to leave/join quite frequently. 

 

Overall I think the guide is rock solid. Nicely done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CptDirty said:

I really liked the positive reinforcement paragraph. I think more SL's and even players in general should foster positive behavior as it increases the moral of the squad and people will naturally listen to what else the SL has to say if SL thanked them for a job well done.  

2

Agreed! Gaming can be frustrating, so it can be tough to remember we're all doing it to feel good, have fun, and get a little better at the game. Heh, the cynical part of me always (mis)remembers the stat that just smiling at somebody in the hallway makes them, say, 20% more likely to help you in an emergency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the write-up, well written. Just a point:

Quote

In general, new SL's should stick with the Base of Fire, serving as the anchor point for their squad while the Flanking Element pivots around and goes in for the kill.

Disagree, I think that the SL should be with the maneuver group and lead the assault. This way they can use their smokes and be present to share the heavy casualties that accompany an assault. If the assault group isn't led, they'll hesitate and get into their own gunfight and not follow-through on the assault.

 

Edited by Comanche6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Comanche6 said:

Disagree, I think that the SL should be with the maneuver group and lead the assault. This way they can use their smokes and be present to share the heavy casualties that accompany an assault. If the assault group isn't led, they'll hesitate and get into their own gunfight and not follow-through on the assault.

 

As @MultiSquid said, it's all situational. A good SL will be able to decide on the spot if he should lead the assault or stay back to ensure rally is up if there's no FOB nearby to fall back to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Comanche6 said:

Thanks for the write-up, well written. Just a point:

Disagree, I think that the SL should be with the maneuver group and lead the assault. This way they can use their smokes and be present to share the heavy casualties that accompany an assault. If the assault group isn't led, they'll hesitate and get into their own gunfight and not follow-through on the assault.

 

I understand your point - the original version of the guide was longer and went into more depth on the subject - edited for brevity and clarity.

 

I do stand by the opinion that new SL's should definitely stick with the base of fire. SL's in the flanking element are committed to the fight and it's highly unlikely they will be able to withdraw with a squadmate if they need to place or refresh a rally. They are also not in a position to make use of their binoculars to survey the battlefield; i.e. spotting reinforcements entering a town attempting to attack the flanking element. SL's in the flanking element must also divert all their attention to attacking and it's near impossible to multitask - responding to other SL's talking in Command, placing map and unit markers on the contacts called out, and issuing accurate orders to the members of their squad. I trust randoms to be better at the run-and-gun tactics of taking a town than having the patience required to be an effective base of fire (most of us were raised on CoD4 anyway), so I don't feel I need to be there with them unless the squad completely lacks initiative. The flanking element can be stacked if heavy casualties are expected - the base of fire only needs 2-3 rifles, or one Autorifleman/MG, to do its job.

Lastly, it is U.S. Army doctrine that Squad Leaders stay with the base of fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vance

 

I am with you, almost every step of the way. Sometimes the SL has to take point to get the pendulum swinging. As soon as the squad is doing what it is supposed to, then SL can retreat and keep a rally going.

 

It's a delicate balance imo, but generally SL should stay back as much as possible. Too often you will see SLs running to their imminent death, and for no good reason. That's what the K/D king-rifleman is for.  

Edited by PuddleMurda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H.A.R.M. applicants were PM'ed today - check your inboxes and follow the instructions. Guide updated with minor fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best Squad lead guide I've ever seen and trust me I've read every single one of them because there aren't that many. I've got about 1000 hours in the game and I only play the SL kit. I can really tell you know what you are doing. Like multisquid said, the only things I would disagree with is situational. This is the most proper and complete guide and is probably good enough to be stickied.

Edited by Nossa
*agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
(3) OTHER SQUAD LEADERS

Players tend to get less talkative when things are going badly in a game of SQUAD, and start slowly tuning out - except for Squad Leaders. The verbal lashings that SL's bestow upon each other during a match of SQUAD is truly something to behold. Whenever negativity and blame starts being thrown around like a hot potato, people's first instinct is to shoot back. The problem is that if someone's blaming you for something - even if it's not your fault - trying to correct them is like putting out a fire with gasoline. Don't argue with other SL's. Even if you could crush his argument with logic so undeniable it would make Plato proud, don't argue with other SL's. Don't ever make anyone else wrong in this game. If someone's a bad SL, that's simply another factor in the situation you're dealing with. Don't call him out, and don't start a flame war in Command. He may be new, he may be having a bad day, he may not have read this guide - it doesn't matter. SL infighting just undermines the morale of your entire team. Your SL's may be bad, but they're what you've got to work with, and it's better to handle your corner of the war as best you can. If an SL is frothing at the mouth on Command, ordering you to pull your squad back to his position, either calmly explain your objective to him and carry on, or calmly relay the censored version of his request to your squad and start falling back. If you harbor doubts about the other squads, always keep them to yourself - never share them with your squad. Remember to compliment other SL's that are doing a good job and thank them when they come to your aid. Reprimands only get you an inch where positive reinforcement gets you a mile.

This is great advice, and so is the rest of the guide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nossa said:

The best Squad lead guide I've ever seen and trust me I've read every single one of them because there aren't that many. I've got about 1000 hours in the game and I only play the SL kit. I can really tell you know what you are doing. Like multisquid said, the only things I would disagree with is situational. This is the most proper and complete guide and is probably good enough to be stickied.

It got sticked on Squad's Steam forum around 24 hours after I posted it - link here

 

I'm planning to create an entire 101 series for Squad, partly to train my squad and partly because I think a lot of squad roles (Machine Gunner and Marksman especially) are not being used optimally by the average SQUAD player. (For all you Marksman haters, I love having a Marksman in my squad). If you have any special requests for guides (Mortar 101, SuperFOB 101) just let me know and I might work it in. Most of this info comes from notes I wrote for myself in Evernote while I was learning the game, so I have the foundations of all the guides ready to go.

 

Please upvote and comment on the guide if you liked it, it helps me by bringing the guide to the top of the list so people find it - and ensures more people read it so we start getting better SL's (and better games) in the SQUAD community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2018 at 9:35 AM, Vance said:

It got sticked on Squad's Steam forum around 24 hours after I posted it - link here

 

I'm planning to create an entire 101 series for Squad, partly to train my squad and partly because I think a lot of squad roles (Machine Gunner and Marksman especially) are not being used optimally by the average SQUAD player. (For all you Marksman haters, I love having a Marksman in my squad). If you have any special requests for guides (Mortar 101, SuperFOB 101) just let me know and I might work it in. Most of this info comes from notes I wrote for myself in Evernote while I was learning the game, so I have the foundations of all the guides ready to go.

 

Please upvote and comment on the guide if you liked it, it helps me by bringing the guide to the top of the list so people find it - and ensures more people read it so we start getting better SL's (and better games) in the SQUAD community.

Sometimes nobody replies in Forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×