Posted (edited)

Lock & Unlock / Enable & Disable “Give Up” Button on the go.

141to4o.jpg

Majority people on this site and I presume dev team are in favor of adding and improving quality of life components to the game. I might be wrong, please do disagree with me, if I'm. But giving the player options in the way they want to play is never a bad thing.

As a community of squad players, we already have lock and unlock feature for squads. I would like to make a humble suggestion to extend that aspect to counter act the reckless habit and careless behavior of majority player in squad right now, that are pressing the “GIVE UP” button as soon as they are in a down state.

It saddens me to say this, but the “Give Up” feature has become an epidemic and needs to be managed, on squad to squad bases. I would strongly advice the devs to impower SL’s, who want their squad members to learn to play correctly and wait for medics until their bleed timer is up.

I would like the developers to explore the idea and test the waters, find out if a tiny change like managing to enable and disable the “Give Up” button for SLs and let them choose when its the right time or practical to activiate squad members spawn in.

A good example for why implementing a “lock & unlock” feature to the “Give Up” button is a good idea. Would be in game modes like invasion or insurgency where ticket management is a win or lose situation. 

Something I see 100% of the time in publics, is squad members pressing "give up” and respawning on rally point, charge into enemy solo, die and rinse and repeat.

I personally am interested in having a group ready to spawn in, rather then seeing my squad members trickling into a assault area like a ivdrop. Having said that, I understand you can tell your squad to wait for each other at a rally, but its not a effective tool in pubs. As a SL It's time consuming to constantly keep an eye out on who and how many are respawning.

A solution to this ineffective habit of assaulting a point would be for SL’s to have the option for their squad members hold off on respawning until 3 or 4 ppl are ready. Please let me make a strong reminder this is only for people that want to play in a more efficient way and more organized.

There is always an option for having the “Give Up” button enabled to accommodate Rambo style of behavior. I’m just stressing the fact that there is no option for the audience that want to play more conservatively and keeping their squad members together.

What I’m suggesting, and requesting is a UI feature that’s already implemented and doesn’t take development time away to implement as it’s something that’s already ingame menu. All I’m asking is please try it out see how it works out.

As such, I would like to request to expend the management tools for SLs, or more accurately have the choice to lock and unlock, the infamous “GIVE UP” button on the go.  

Thank you for reading my suggestion. Let me know if this is a functionality or life improvement to squad leading you would like to see?

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

Though I can understand your frustration I really don't like this idea for the possible work load that it would create for the SL. Maybe if it was the Medic who got to  choose to release the soul of the  person, give the person a give up button, when  close. To the medic , or a 2min wait.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for responding Smee, I’m affirmed its already a work load not having this kind of feature in place as I’m referencing from experience.

Keeping an continues eye out for players giving up is a workload, having lock and unlock is to easy that workload for SL's, My suggestion is having the option for ppl that want to conserve tickets and have a more organized spawn.

And if you don't like it, you don't need to use it, its just there...if you do.

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

dont like locking (hate the locking squads thing, that should have minimum players in it but anyway thats another thread)... TBH I think all this would do is just make people create one man squads or squads that they would call 'no locking give up'.. 

its unfortunately the downside to a ticket based attrition game, same as numpties taking vehicles and getting them blown up right away without a care int he world... again those that dont care about ticket loss have more impact on the game than those that do....

Not sure what the solution is... as it appears many are willing to wait for the timer to run down on pressing give up vs waiting to see if a medic will get them up...   which suggests the wait time is too short ...

perhaps players cant give up with a medic within x metres of them from any squad?

so it just greys out the giveup button until the medic heals them/they move out the vicinity/they die/player bleeds out.  This might slow down the immediate giveup ...

Increase spawn times and display them to wounded players. There is no reason to give up if you know won't be able to spawn for a few minutes anyway. 

Disabling the "Give Up" might be an option to be coded into the blueprint however the console command "Respawn" is part of the architecture of the game I'm reasonably certain.

Again though, there are already enough factors present in the game that make a player wait in limbo so I certainly wouldn't condone more. Especially when the main problem is the science fiction Jesus Christ caves that resurrect you from the dead in the first place.

Instead, giving up should take you straight back to main where there would be a much larger pool of transport vehicles that cost zero tickets.

Posted (edited)

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts and options!

I’m not a fan of locking things either. However, humans by nature choose the path of least resisting and the “give up” button is no exception to that rule. In fact, its radically over used in almost all situations, even with a medic few meters away people are using the “give up” button.

Reason for this in my humble opinion is because, the consequences for using the “give up” button are not serious enough, so either the “give up” button needs to be managed or the aftereffect of carless use of your “give up” button should be increased to 2 tickets per death instead of 1.

I love the idea of having your “give up” button not available until your bleed out timer hits a certain stage, let say at 60% bleed time the “give up” button become available to the player. I would like to see the “give up” button be unavailable for the downed player, giving the medic the time to deal with multiple casualties and at the same time holster that muscle memory of the player to instantly press the give up button.

Everyone agrees in the community that “give up” button needs to be nerfed. Part of the problem is that the “give up” button is so accessible unlike typing “respawn” in the console.

Most of us would agree that the commend “respawn” is used extremely rare compared to the “give up” button, it feels like two extremes at each end, we need to find a middle ground. One is over used (Give up) the other is hidden and almost never used, (Respawn) unless you get bugged or glitched.

I don’t think anyone in the squad community would come out and say that the “give up” button is not impacting the matches in a negative way.

Because it is, I think there is a need to step back and take a look at the “give up” button and rethink its usefulness and minimise the impact its having on the outcome of the game.

To some degree I think having the “give up” button available to such an extent is also feeding into teaching public players bad habits, these behaviour patterns are to some extent blamed on the game design, as it’s a freebie for all to abuse the availability of the “give up” button.

2s8qyky.png

What do you think !?

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

I agree i made a topic on making the tickets be 2 or more when you give up. We need to find a salution to the problem.

22 minutes ago, BatSithCrazy. said:

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts and options!

I’m not a fan of locking things either. However, humans by nature choose the path of least resisting and the “give up” button is no exception to that rule. In fact, its radically over used in almost all situations, even with a medic few meters away people are using the “give up” button.

Reason for this in my humble opinion is because, the consequences for using the “give up” button are not serious enough, so either the “give up” button needs to be managed or the aftereffect of carless use of your “give up” button should be increased to 2 tickets per death instead of 1.

I love the idea of having your “give up” button not available until your bleed out timer hits a certain stage, let say at 60% bleed time the “give up” button become available to the player. I would like to see the “give up” button be unavailable for the downed player, giving the medic the time to deal with multiple casualties and at the same time holster that muscle memory of the player to instantly press the give up button.

Everyone agrees in the community that “give up” button needs to be nerfed. Part of the problem is that the “give up” button is so accessible unlike typing “respawn” in the console.

Most of us would agree that the commend “respawn” is used extremely rare compared to the “give up” button, it feels like two extremes at each end, we need to find a middle ground. One is over used (Give up) the other is hidden and almost never used, (Respawn) unless you get bugged or glitched.

I don’t think anyone in the squad community would come out and say that the “give up” button is not impacting the matches in a negative way.

Because it is, I think there is a need to step back and take a look at the “give up” button and rethink its usefulness and minimise the impact its having on the outcome of the game.

To some degree I think having the “give up” button available to such an extent is also feeding into teaching public player bad habits, these behaviour patterns are to some extent blamed on the game design, as it’s a freebie for all to abuse the availability of the “give up” button.

What do you think !?

Well I'm pretty sure the narrative for some future patch is group respawning and if you choose to give up and not get revived then respawn on a rally/hab you get the same amount of ammo as when you died. This is to incentivize waiting for the revive I guess.

increasing the ticket cost is not going to deter those that want to give up ... it just means the round will be over more quickly and again.. it punishes everyone that preserves tickets and does nothing to those that dont care.

Im not sure the ammo incentive is going to make that much difference ... I wait for medic to get me up.. I have same ammo... i respawn with same ammo but can resupply at fob ... what are you going to do?  

yup true respawn in console would be an issue never thought about that... so just send them back to base with that command and increase the time limit to 5 mins ... or could you not disable console commands when dead???? i.e respawn can only be used when alive/stuck...

The rally changes in next update (wave timers) should help with spawning squad cohesion. As for giving up, I feel it should be disabled until the next rally wave is up. The wave timer should be displayed on the fade-to-black screen, with a hotkey to respawn on rally that is only enabled when the wave timer reaches zero. HAB timers should be higher than rally waves so this wouldn't cut into to HAB respawn times, and this would discourage players from spawning on the HAB instead of with their squad.

Incap screen also has new feature, next to Give up button, will be listed the nearest players name and how many meter they are away (50+m it will say no one nearby)

Also when pressing giveup it will give a yes no dialog confirmation, asking "Are you sure? Giving up will cost your team 1 ticket"

1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

Also when pressing giveup it will give a yes no dialog confirmation, asking "Are you sure? Giving up will cost your team 1 ticket"

A gentle nudge in the right direction :) Hopefully this works

a question which has been asked before:

Why can't you see a respawn timer until you give up?

If you could see the timer you might hold off giving up at least until you knew you could respawn.