Confiential

Radio Proximity Noise

I will definitely will receive negative comments but as much as realism for war games goes, I don't think this has EVER been implemented.

It's been implemented in the ArmA series via VON and later (And done better by) ACRE.

As for inter-team communication, I'm against it. There's another thread dealing with pretty much the same topic. 

Its really hard to tell....

You cant ban 3rd Party Voiceprogramms.

Technical view: people almost could use everthing: A Virtual Box, a different PC, their phones... you cant controll it

Gameplay view: You would destroy community if you dont allow these programms. Oh want to chat before playing or while your friends are playing? Not possible!

Admin discussions on the server - not possible.

This would destroy every process of community building, absolutly deadly for such a teamplay based game. Did you ever play with friends???

If you dont want dead people to give information about the enemy away simply make them blind and deaf instead of muting them. Much simpler, they cant give to much information away but can ask mates to revive them and speak with their squadmates or friends...

I can see everyones points about ppl using workarounds instead of local speech... but i think my idea can still be salvaged.

If we take things one step further and imagine the following:

• Local speech can be heard by enemies, but with some foreign-language-imitating voice scrambler.
  • Now, everytime players use their radio they also emit local speech, because a radio is, well, a device that you talk into and not some telepathic speech machine.
  • Additionally, we could have characters not wearing headsets, but having their radios emit its output for everyone closeby to hear, including a scrambled version for enemies (you'd have to be able to mute the radio though so you CAN stay silent for a while if you really really have to).
  • Also, we have S1newaves interesting idea that would include grunts in inter-squad communication to a certain degree.
  • Lastly, why even have an ingame chat for teams? One unobtrusive (in terms of screen space) global channel for admin purposes will suffice.

Add all of the above together and it would be almost impossible to circumvent the ingame comms system without seriously impairing yourself. You'd have to get your whole team into one TS and set up lots of whispers...

Ideas 2 and 3 outlined above have the additional advantage of giving feedback about ones comms situation to closeby players. So, for example, you won't be wondering why your SL isn't responding to you in local speech, because you can actually hear the strategy discussion he's having on the radio.

Apart from personal opinions if the game should work like this or not, have i missed anything in terms of the possibility to circumvent this system?

I can understand the reason to want this feature. I can also understand why it cannot work. I think you can let the OP down gently, though. We understand, it's not going to happen, case closed.

Having the whole team able to communicate globally takes away from the idea of having separate squads operating separately and will make lone-wolfing rampant.

There'd be hardly any reason to join a squad besides "lolkits"- Just like Battlefield at the moment.

And on top of that, from a realism standpoint, a whole platoon doesn't have individual level communication- Besides yelling.

I want to be able to hear enemies talking when they are close, or if they are yelling- Maybe in a 10-5m radius, but beyond that I don't think you should hear them, and there should be any radio sounds and stuff given off.

And on top of that, from a realism standpoint, a whole platoon doesn't have individual level communication- Besides yelling.

Situation, terrain and supply dependent, at least from a modern, well organised army's perspective.

You might want your troops to each have an SPR depending on their current task and role. Sentries, VCPs and urban clearances are three examples. In a perfect world, everyone has them so you've got the choice to dictate it in orders.

The downsides?

- Smack talk.

- Encryption.

- Logistic burden (those things burn through batteries).

I think it's a bad idea for opposing players within listening proximity to understand what your squad is saying. Now if the voices could be scrambled, but still heard for the opposing team, I would be all for it.

Edit: It makes sense since most US soldiers can't understand Pashto, and the Taliban fighters can't understand English. Also, if the Taliban speak Arabic in this game, I will face palm.

It's been implemented in the ArmA series via VON and later (And done better by) ACRE.

As for inter-team communication, I'm against it. There's another thread dealing with pretty much the same topic. 

It's also been implemented by task force radio.

Edit2:

Obviously the next step would be to provide everyone who's on the Taliban side with free Arabic language lessons. Maybe it can be a Kickstarter goal or something.

*sigh*

They do but they are more likely to speak their native languages.

You're thinking of al-Qaeda.

I don't like the idea of hearing everybody in local. I'd rather not hear the enemy, but when he would use his radio, I should be able to hear the little boop. :D

If you were sneaking around, it would stop you from potentially using your radio but still allow you to talk in local so comms don't completely go quiet. 

If it implements something like ACRE's volume control - you can whisper into your radio, your voice barely travels more than a meter - fine by me. The radio shouldn't be audible to anyone but the people receiving. The only problem I forsee with this kind of thing is people on opposite sides shit-talking each other. When PR Mumble was "global", it happened all the time.

It's impossible to distinguish the enemy voice to a friendly voice so I think this idea won't work the way the OP intended. Unless the server admins forced everyone on the US team to speak with exaggerated Texan accents and everyone on Taliban to speak with thick Arabic accents.

This voice over team lines are discussed in another thread a few weeks ago, the conglusion were something that it have been tested in PR at some point and it created a lots of childish voice spam.