eggman

Invasion map design - last objective - important design point

Posted (edited)

The last objective in the Invasion game mode is frequently well fortified. On the Mestia layer (and a couple of others) the last objective is placed in a corner of the map. This makes it increasingly difficult to assault, and definitely becomes a meat grinder like game play.

In the particular match the screenshot captures, we won by 4 tickets - rare to see attacker win on ticket attrition in my experience. But the last 20 minutes of gameplay was a very repetitive meat grinder. We had assaults happening from all possible directions (a fob north, south and a mortar fob - not sure if the 20kb screenshot reflects that).

Any objective in corners of maps are often not fun for my taste (Papanov for example). But definitely the last objective in Invasion should be placed so that the attacker has multiple avenues of assault, and - imo - last objectives in corners of maps should be avoided especially with Invasion.

20180806161011_1.jpg

Edited by eggman

Maybe a larger last zone would be a good idea. 

Won't the new spawn mechanics make the "corner" final stands hard to defend as well? Sure there are less ways to assault from, but I feel like the last flag for the defenders should be a real bitch to take, but perhaps that's just me :) 

4 hours ago, Psyrus said:

feel like the last flag for the defenders should be a real bitch to take, but perhaps that's just me

+1 I'm with you on this one.

It makes sense that the attackers will have a harder time because they need to run supplies and ensure spawn points are up on the opposite corner of the map which...makes....sense....from...a...game....balance...perspective because the irregular forces (MIL/INS) are heavily under-powered against the onslaught of armored vehicles and optics. 

The last objective being hard to capture makes sense. That should not be through mono-syllabic approaches to map layout that limit options for the attacker. Pre-placed fortifications or other terrain features can assist with defensive capabilities but still keep the options open for attackers.