Sign in to follow this  
PuddleMurda

A small recommendation to all SLs

Posted (edited)

As SL, at the start of each game I instruct the squad to more or less stay of comms completely, unless we are widely separated and it is an absolute emergency, and to use local voice communication only. This has a real game changing effect on how the squad works together.

As you call out enemy contact, often you do not even have to call out directions as the guys around you will hear where you are, and where shots are coming from, and the brain will work the rest out by itself. It feels like there is more camaraderie in the squad, and more joking around between the guys without it cluttering comms. Even assigning logi runs and such is more intuitive and is not questioned or ignored as often when you are telling one of your guys locally, which I guess is making it more personal and therefore the player is not questioning my "authority". 

The best part about it is that the squad is working closely together as a unit, and this without you having you tell the squad to do so. They have to, as they need to be not more than 20-30 meters away from the next guy in the squad to be able to communicate. From my experience, the squad is performing a hell of a lot better this way. 

If, after some time, squad members start to use comms for small-talk again, just remind them to stay off comms and they will do so. I have on several occasions heard my squad members in local voice tell the guy on comms to stay off it, as they too see the benefits of not cluttering comms. 

Naturally, this also makes my job as SL a lot easier, as communication with other SLs is not disrupted by chatty squad members. 

Get on it, SLs. 

Edit; If you have two guys in a BTR or equivalent, comms with them and coordinating attacks is also much more effective, and it gives the comms a more purposeful meaning. 

Edited by PuddleMurda

TLDR: Use local voice.

I'm unsure about the claim that using local voice to ask squad members for logi runs yields any difference than squad voice chat. Odd because I also tell my squad mates, as SL, to use local when they can so I could be on command channel. The less yapping in my ear from my guys the better off I'll be communicating with fellow SL's. 

For the most part, as a full-time SL myself. I can agree with him. Sometimes it's not always practical though especially at a SuperFOB where there are multiple heavy machine guns firing off and mortars landing to hear anything.