JDNezat

Visibility at distance is a problem for me

I'll basically keep this short, hopefully I'm not the only one turned off by this.

Before telling me I'm blind and stupid:

1.My fov is as low as possible.

2. I have 20/15 vision in both eyes. This is quite a bit better than the standard for "good" eyesight of 20/20.

3. My face is generally about 2-3 feet from the screen at any given time. I'm playing on a 24 inch 1080p, 75hz IPS monitor.

My problem is that I can't see ANYTHING in front of me outside of about 150 yards unless the soldier is in an open field or against a bright object. It often seems like aliasing creates artificial movement that hides whatever I'm tracking. This has really stopped me from enjoying the game unless I'm using a scoped weapon.

Has this ever been discussed? I remember when the alpha was first released the fov could be lowered to 80 which was a small improvement over the minimum of 90 now.

I can think of a few possible solutions.

1. Reworked lighting

2. A better temporal aliasing solution that retains clarity. The Witcher 3 has a very good solution that almost removes shimmering and crawling without smudging the image.

3. I know allowing a lower fov has been discussed, but still.

4. I don't think it is far fetched to say that zoomed/advanced optics are underrepresented in this game. Even when compared to what insurgent groups are armed with. Maybe make them more standardized?

Thanks for reading

5 hours ago, JDNezat said:

Has this ever been discussed?

You ask if this has been discussed before? HAHAHA

I'm surprised no one posted a response for you yet. I'll also keep this short: Yeah, it's one of the problems with this game. Everyone has this issue, except rich bastards who own 4k monitors.

People got used to it after playing a bunch, even though it still sucks. You seem to have some game time, you speak of A8. Haven't you got used to it somehow?

Best advice I have for you is:

- Disable all anti aliasing

- Turn sharpening to 50% 

10 hours ago, Vegetal said:

I'm surprised no one posted a response for you yet. I'll also keep this short: Yeah, it's one of the problems with this game. Everyone has this issue, except rich bastards who own 4k monitors.

People got used to it after playing a bunch, even though it still sucks. You seem to have some game time, you speak of A8. Haven't you got used to it somehow?

I've owned it since launch day, devs seem hell bent on never addressing the issue and actually making it worse. So I take long breaks from the game because of this and see if its fixed.

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Best advice I have for you is:

- Disable all anti aliasing

- Turn sharpening to 50% 

I've tried all sorts of combinations like this. Nothing really makes it significantly better.

2 hours ago, JDNezat said:

devs seem hell bent on never addressing the issue and actually making it worse. 

This is untrue, this is definitely a major issue that is brought up constantly within the team. There's been Significant time sunk into developing AA methods and other ways to solve this UE4 engine issue, and ALOT of dead ends...

It's an issue with other UE4 games, unfortunately Squad is one of the few games that has engagement distances common @ 100-200 meters and sometimes much farther, which means the issue is much more dramatic in Squad than in other UE4 games.

Hoping eventually a solution can be found that allows most players to see distant targets more clearly, without needing 4k monitors.

I play @ 1080p on 24" monitor and constantly have issue with seeing distant targets as well, I hear your pain man.

I have a 27 inch monitor at 1440p and it's still a major issue for me. Squad has literally given me middle back pain from hunching into the screen trying to spot the pixels that are distant enemies. 

Update: I'm going to try to play using my 55 year old stepmom's readers lol

15 hours ago, Vegetal said:

1 hour ago, Stabby Joe said:

I have a 27 inch monitor at 1440p and it's still a major issue for me. Squad has literally given me middle back pain from hunching into the screen trying to spot the pixels that are distant enemies. 

Even high resolutions like 1440/4k have issues with viewing player models at range. A friend of mine actually downgraded his 4k monitor for a 2k because the "Dancing Pixel Soldiers" off in the distance were driving him insane.

2 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

This is untrue, this is definitely a major issue that is brought up constantly within the team. There's been Significant time sunk into developing AA methods and other ways to solve this UE4 engine issue, and ALOT of dead ends...

It's an issue with other UE4 games, unfortunately Squad is one of the few games that has engagement distances common @ 100-200 meters and sometimes much farther, which means the issue is much more dramatic in Squad than in other UE4 games.

Hoping eventually a solution can be found that allows most players to see distant targets more clearly, without needing 4k monitors.

I play @ 1080p on 24" monitor and constantly have issue with seeing distant targets as well, I hear your pain man.

Maybe Epic will spend some of their Fortnite money on fixing UE4 for squad :P

45 minutes ago, JDNezat said:

Update: I'm going to try to play using my 55 year old stepmom's readers lol

I've got a 27" 1440p and I found cheaters help xD

Both of my eyes are 55 though, so there's that

I'm paraphrasing here but I've seen numerous posts by the Unreal Engine devs in the Epic forums where they flat out tell people it's an Arena engine with a suggestion of a maximum 64 replication.

That said, with my setup I have zero problem seeing people across pretty much any of the maps where the view is unobstructed by foliage. I can certainly see players way out of the maximum range of any of the weapons in the game and with the TOW optics I can sit on the overpass on Yeho and see individuals get into a Warrior at British main for example. Save up and buy a big 4k monitor, you won't regret it.

Zylfrax, those posts by Unreal Engine devs might be outdated with the advent of Fortnite's success and continued development

2 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I'm paraphrasing here but I've seen numerous posts by the Unreal Engine devs in the Epic forums where they flat out tell people it's an Arena engine with a suggestion of a maximum 64 replication.

That said, with my setup I have zero problem seeing people across pretty much any of the maps where the view is unobstructed by foliage. I can certainly see players way out of the maximum range of any of the weapons in the game and with the TOW optics I can sit on the overpass on Yeho and see individuals get into a Warrior at British main for example. Save up and buy a big 4k monitor, you won't regret it.

Engines can be tweaked to do more... :)

2 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

Zylfrax, those posts by Unreal Engine devs might be outdated with the advent of Fortnite's success and continued development

Agreed. Seeing as UE 4.20 is intrinsically Fortnite at this point and has also become their go to cash cow they certainly have optimized it for that purpose.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:51 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Problem is, you save up all that money to buy a 4k monitor only to realise you'll need to head out and buy a 1080ti to run the game at any decent scale :D

On 8/3/2018 at 4:51 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

I come from a counterstrike background, I just cannot give up this 144 hz refresh rate monitor. Everything feels off and blurry at under 120 frames now. If there was an affordable 4k 144 hz monitor I would buy it, but for 2k+ I'll just wait.