Gatzby

July 2018 Recap

july2018recap_carousel.jpg

Hey Squaddies,

Callooh! Callay! O frabjous Recap day! It's time for another dose of what's been happening behind the scenes in Squad. From mechanics to user experience, the team has been full steam ahead as we make the push towards Alpha 12 -- let's grab a looking glass and see what they've been working on!

middle_separator.png

SquadChat with Drav, Fuzzhead, and Merlin

What are SquadChats? Glad you asked! They're a more casual opportunity to sit down with the developers behind Squad, learn about who they are, what they do, and how they do it. In this edition, we have our Drav, our Lead Producer, Fuzzhead, beloved game designer, and last, but not least, Merlin, CEO of Offworld Industries.

Over the course of an hour and a half, we talked about the current status of Squad, our plans to get to launch, and how we're going to support Squad into the future. Heck, they even worked in some answers to community questions. Worth a watch, eh? Don't forget to check out the rest of the SquadChat archive here.

middle_separator.png

Systems

The new user interface is continuing to receive a facelift as we work through each element, one at a time. The updated team screen allows you to get a feel for the map, read up on the game mode and lore, as well as seeing which factions are in play.

The Deploy screen allows you to see your squad, as well as the entire team, organize your squad into fireteams, select your role via a quick select panel, and, most importantly, set your spawn point options. The map here has been expanded slightly given the new dimensions.

The new Role Loadout screen is an optional page that allows you to access more information on what roles are available to you, as well as get in-depth information on what each weapon and piece of equipment does. Knowledge is power!

middle_separator.png

Persistent Ammo

The Infantry Rearm System will be undergoing some significant changes. As per the June Recap, Squads will now have access to the Infantry-deployed Ammunition Bags carried by the Non-Scope Rifleman role. The following changes are working in conjunction with the Ammo Bags to create a more teamwork focused Rearm system.

We are implementing the concept of "Persistent Ammunition". It is designed to further place importance on logistics and to make ammunition scarcity a real consideration on the battlefield. Squad Leaders will need to factor in their Logistics and Ammo Sources when deciding where and when to assault.

Additionally, we're experimenting with the concept of having player spawns on Rally Points and FOBs spawn with the same amount of ammunition that they had when they died. Players will always spawn with a minimum of at least 2 magazines for their primary weapon and will always spawn with 2 field dressings.

Players changing roles after being killed will respawn with the minimum kit loadout (2 primary magazines and 2 field dressings) and will need to seek out resupply.

Deploying at the Main Base will always give a player a fully-loaded kit.

middle_separator.png

Ammunition Resupply Granularity

Another change to the Infantry Rearm System is adding a level of granularity to the way players rearm. Rather than a role costing a fixed ammo point value to rearm, each magazine and/or consumable inventory item will have its own associated ammunition cost. This provides a much more accurate representation of how much ammunition resources you are using when it comes to rearming and will make it easier to balance one weapon over another.

Ammunition point values will be tweaked to reflect these new changes, especially as testing and feedback continue to develop.

middle_separator.png

Art

Smoke Generators

https://streamable.com/p7h03

One upgrade that will be coming to all our APC, IFV, and (future) Tank drivers is the ability to deploy a smokescreen from the exhaust ports. The smoke generator is a continuously channeling effect that deploys an extremely large screen that can be used to cover a retreat, advancing infantry in an assault, or enjoy a break from the Tallil sunshine. In addition to the turret mounted smoke grenade launchers, vehicles will now have a multitude of screening options available to them.

https://streamable.com/8347b

middle_separator.png

Repair Tools

repairtools.jpg
Over the course of battle, your vehicles will take damage to its components (for this first iteration it will primarily be your engine), so in order to get back to a minimum level of usability we've given all crewman roles a toolkit used to repair these components, as well as bring up hull health above a minimum threshold. We're still balancing this mechanic, but this should give another level to the meta gameplay of vehicle combat.

middle_separator.png

RPG-7V2

rpg7v2.jpg

Coming soon to all Russian rocket launcher, the RPG-7V2 package adds the PGO-7 2.8x optic to the launcher. This allows Russian anti-tank gunners to better acquire targets and account for distance with the built-in projectile drop compensator reticle. This reticle accounts for all ammunition types.

rpg7v2_2.jpg

middle_separator.png

Kornet

kornet_1.jpg

The finishing touches on the 9M113 Kornet have been added and it's flying high in testing now. One advantage this system has over the TOW is the ability for the gunner to be behind cover and still have the ability to fire, making it a little more operator-friendly.

kornet_2.jpg

middle_separator.png

Mapping

Tallil Outskirts

https://streamable.com/bz37j

tallil_1.jpg

The whole team is working hard on finishing up Tallil Outskirts. Not only will the map be a new location to fight over but it will showcase some new mapping technology. The terrain will be the most realistic we've seen in Squad up to this point, and with the advent of new structures, foliage and visual effects, we hope to ramp up the immersiveness to a whole new level.

tallil_2.jpg

tallil_3.jpg

tallil_4.jpg

As stated in last month's recap, Tallil Outskirts' predominant feature will be an airfield with a long history of conflict. From the Russian influence in the 1980s to the U.S. bombing of the Iraqi hangars at the start of the Gulf War, to its more recent use as a U.S. Air Force airbase and Army barracks, the history will be visible no matter what corner you're fighting over.

tallil_5.jpg

tallil_6.jpg

And let's not forget about tanks! Tallil will be our first armor-focused map, so we're as excited as you are to see columns of tanks duking it out across the open desert!

tallil_7.jpg

tallil_8.jpg

middle_separator.png

Jensens Range Overhaul

jensens_1.jpg

We've managed to give Jensens Range another big facelift, this time taking advantage of the desert biome work we've been doing on Tallil and bringing it into the training range, giving it a very distinct feel now.

jensens_2.jpg

jensens_3.jpg

The most notable change is the addition of surrounding terrain as a backdrop, but also we've added a number of additional ranges to the map, including a MOUT training field with multi-story buildings, an indoor kill-house with a linear path to work those CQB skills, a new driving track and a 1.5km open range with elevation for vehicles.

jensens_4.jpg

jensens_5.jpg

jensens_0.jpg

middle_separator.png

And there you have it! Some big changes coming up, so we'd like to remind you to shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with a dra... ah, well, maybe just the first two. Thanks for joining us for another Recap! We'll see you next month.

Offworld Out.

Note: Check the blog post for embedded videos; they were not rendering well in the forums.

Can you guys make the recap videos available on YouTube? I don't know how it is for other people, but Streamable takes too long to load here, and video quality is often poor and I can't change it to a higher quality.

3 minutes ago, SShadowFox said:

Can you guys make the recap videos available on YouTube? I don't know how it is for other people, but Streamable takes too long to load here, and video quality is often poor and I can't change it to a higher quality.

Will look into it. We're not entirely enamored of Streamable, but it has been the... hmm... least resistant solution so far.

24 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Persistent Ammo

Bla bla bla

So you take away ammo from people.

And give it to the Rifleman Without Scope.

What's the point? You artificially force people to rearm after spawn. Noone will do that.

How is it in terms with "Persistent Ammo"?

Two years after Steam release you eventually came up with an idea that Project Reality formula is superior to the Squad's one...

Shall we expect kit switching too then?

Love the Persistent Ammo idea. Hopefully it will get rid of the "Just die and respawn" and will add usefulness to the non-scoped solider.Will it be a Pain in the ass, yep...and thats good.

Def looking forward to the new mapping tech!

Whats about the russian tank?

We want all of this yet already, give us the v12 beta access :o 

Posted (edited)

Great recap as always! Thanks for making this happen as quick as possible, Gatzby and Chuck!

Hmmm... mixed feelings about persistent ammo... I always thought FOB and rally system is there to hide the fact that we have limited numbers of players on server. I kinda felt that people who are respawning on rally represents reinforcements/reserve with their fresh kit (and ammo). Can't wait to see it how it goes! Cool idea nevertheless!

Geezzz... tank looks very mighty! Sound of engine is amazing! And Tallil! Oh boy, even more sexy this time!

PS. Long live Shadowrun!!! Heck, yeah! Never ever ever cut deal with Dragon!!! And never call him worm! It's rule to follow in any lore! Even ones without dragons!

Edited by Disco

So now we're going to increase the need of logi runs to FOBs for ammo but add no reward to the actual players doing them.

GREAT

Looking forward to trying out the changes in v12. Hope the new realistic map art styles make it in the older maps, if possible. 

Posted (edited)

Some UI feedback;

1. Team > Squad > Role > Spawn point, this is the normal sequence when joining a game. In this new UI, the Spawn section comes before/above the Role section which seems counterintuitive.

2. Quick Role Select is actually slower, in the old UI you could see if a role had scope/iron/reflex sight immediately, now you have to click on each of the icons to check.

3. There's a large empty space below the Quick Role Select, what's this for? Commander stuff?

4. Charlie fireteam is blue, like the rest of the team. How about variations of green?

N5y9eIH.jpg

5. Since Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta etc. are usually Squad names, maybe Fireteam names should start with Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu or something.

Edited by cribbaaa

1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

So now we're going to increase the need of logi runs to FOBs for ammo but add no reward to the actual players doing them.

GREAT

Is winning the match and getting player's gratitude not a reward? People always just want to get the kills without putting any effort into winning the match, this is a completely backwards mentality of players these days in any game.

2 hours ago, Monk said:

So you take away ammo from people.

And give it to the Rifleman Without Scope.

What's the point? You artificially force people to rearm after spawn. Noone will do that.

How is it in terms with "Persistent Ammo"?

Two years after Steam release you eventually came up with an idea that Project Reality formula is superior to the Squad's one...

Shall we expect kit switching too then?

People won't lose ammo - they just cannot gain it by dying and respawning.

I believe the Rifleman without scope will have one (?) droppable ammo bag - so if you're running out of ammo, he can drop it and you can resupply, basically a limited ammo supply point that doesn't require FOB/deploy points. Not sure if he can pick it up again? I read also that it may be replenished somehow? 

The point of this change is to reward tactical/squad based game play - if you run off on your own, you'll likely either die or run out of ammo. That you respawn with the same amount of ammo (with minimum 2 mags, 2 bandages) means that front line squads will have to conserve ammo, and those with AT, HAT, or Grenadier can't use the old "die and respawn to get ammo" trick. Pushing hard through enemy lines without ammo supplies will not be long term viable, and probably will mean flag capture and holding will have more back and forth play. It will probably help mitigate squads that try to deny flags. It also balances out the fact that you probably will live a bit longer as now everyone can be revived (but to limited health) by anyone with a medic patch.

I definitely approve of this direction. Good job devs, this all looks excellent (and I know there's more we don't know yet - sheesh only 21 days to go (*))

Considering that several people worked on PR and now on Squad, there's bound to be some commonality, but experimenting and differences are a good idea. If something doesn't work, the next version will balance it out. Has happened before, will happen again.

(*) Meme alert: The next Squad version is always three weeks away, until it isn't.

40 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Is winning the match and getting player's gratitude not a reward?

Not to most people. Besides, during the round I'm the only person (as an SL) thanking the person doing logi runs which is rare to begin with. Additionally at the end of a round the players don't thank the person doing logi runs, they rather spam local voice with "MINE" and other dead memes. 

That's the reality whether you like it or not...

44 minutes ago, Viper3369 said:

Considering that several people worked on PR and now on Squad, there's bound to be some commonality, but experimenting and differences are a good idea. If something doesn't work, the next version will balance it out. Has happened before, will happen again.

Yep! Bring on the hotfixes! Don't be shy on them!

39 minutes ago, Viper3369 said:

Not sure if he can pick it up again? I read also that it may be replenished somehow? 

yeah rifleman can pickup the ammo bag and it will retain whatever ammo point value it was at, and yes they can be replenished at ammo crates or vehicle ammo supply (cannot rearm an ammo bag with another ammo bag)

18 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

thanking the person doing logi runs is rare to begin with. Additionally at the end of a round the players don't thank the person doing logi runs, they rather spam local voice

Agreed this is an area that needs to be improved upon.... some scoreboard changes would help with this, along with some rework on the "After Action Report"...

off topic but a few ways to mitigate these things at end of the round:

* remove the After Action/End of Round "Local voip" or allow an easy access button to mute it (could be muted by default), which would be to encourage squad members to chat to each other more readily on a more detailed level, SL to SL radio still functions allowing a more coherent After Action Report than the droning of mindlessness that often occurs.

* add some of the functionality of "End of Round acheivements" like other games, such as highlighting support roles IE: "Best Logistics Player" "Best Medic" etc etc etc. no need to highlight players with most kills, as players always gravitate towards KDR so it does not need to be emphasized any further.

* add some point value in the scoreboard for Logistics, many ways to do this

these are stuff we have all talked about on the dev team, but not got to integrate yet....

the team is focused on support role prevalence though and will continue to add systems that support and encourage this type of play, thank you for raising the awareness and please continue to advocate for these features that help support role players

Nice UPDATE Boyz! I was really hoping to of seen some progress on Faluja West though non the less I'll take what I can get.

50 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

off topic but a few ways to mitigate these things at end of the round:

Even the "best team" at the end of the round will be beautiful. I remember PR, the pride of being the best squad in the whole faaaction was the best reward a Squad leader could dream of.

Posted (edited)

Fuzzhead, off topic but has the dev team talked about changing the zoom system for the iron sights? An Arma-style zoom or at least an unlimited zoom for iron sights has been suggested many times and there seem to be quite a few people in favor of it but I’ve never seen a dev comment on this topic.

To go back on topic, persistent ammo sounds great and I’m looking forward to the new spawn mechanics as well. Also, Outskirts is my new favorite map even though I have yet to play it :P

Edited by fatalsushi

1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

yeah rifleman can pickup the ammo bag and it will retain whatever ammo point value it was at, and yes they can be replenished at ammo crates or vehicle ammo supply (cannot rearm an ammo bag with another ammo bag)

Will it contain ALL types of ammo? Rockets for example? 

Somewhat underwhelming recap for me, even though I'm not entirely sure why. It just seems... shorter? The persistent ammo thing is definitely food for thought, other than that I didn't really get the goosebumps like I used to with the previous recaps.