Gatzby

July 2018 Recap

+1 for voiceactivating option VOIP,

then i can use the extra mouse button for squad radio or something else

12 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I would hate voice activation in Squad lol. People who have stuff on the background all the time will be so damn annoying.. In discord i always force people to have PTT enabled, will then have the same in my squad.

Really that bad??? Lol just local voice dude u know like project reality 

On 8/2/2018 at 11:40 PM, Viper3369 said:

People won't lose ammo - they just cannot gain it by dying and respawning.

I believe the Rifleman without scope will have one (?) droppable ammo bag - so if you're running out of ammo, he can drop it and you can resupply, basically a limited ammo supply point that doesn't require FOB/deploy points. Not sure if he can pick it up again? I read also that it may be replenished somehow? 

The point of this change is to reward tactical/squad based game play - if you run off on your own, you'll likely either die or run out of ammo. That you respawn with the same amount of ammo (with minimum 2 mags, 2 bandages) means that front line squads will have to conserve ammo, and those with AT, HAT, or Grenadier can't use the old "die and respawn to get ammo" trick. Pushing hard through enemy lines without ammo supplies will not be long term viable, and probably will mean flag capture and holding will have more back and forth play. It will probably help mitigate squads that try to deny flags. It also balances out the fact that you probably will live a bit longer as now everyone can be revived (but to limited health) by anyone with a medic patch.

I definitely approve of this direction. Good job devs, this all looks excellent (and I know there's more we don't know yet - sheesh only 21 days to go (*))

Considering that several people worked on PR and now on Squad, there's bound to be some commonality, but experimenting and differences are a good idea. If something doesn't work, the next version will balance it out. Has happened before, will happen again.

(*) Meme alert: The next Squad version is always three weeks away, until it isn't.

I agree with what you said but 2 mags for a US rifleman is not realistic.

This system could work this way:

You spawn with everything your role should have. If you die and want to re-spawn you will have to wait quite some time if you want to spawn fully equipped. For instance, you can spawn when the timer ends but you will have 2 mags instead of 7, no grenades, 1 bandage, etc.

2 hours ago, Jeffer7892 said:

Really that bad??? Lol just local voice dude u know like project reality 

There are already tons of people with badly bound PTT keys or sticky keyboard that keep hotmic-ing constantly, I imagine it would be even worse with voice activation enabled. It's not that difficult to get used to PTT, plus there's usually much more players within local voice range in Squad than in most other games, so it's very important for people to be transmitting voice only when they actually mean to. Unfortunately with voice activation you usually pay for the comfort of usage by annoying others.

I find people that prefer voice activation over PTT usually like the sound of their own voice to much.

Could you guys work on the SL map marking tool. It's very frustrating trying to mark something on a map in its current state

1 hour ago, SonofMarsV said:

Could you guys work on the SL map marking tool. It's very frustrating trying to mark something on a map in its current state

Yes map marking tool will get a rework in v12 to be less frustrating

Regarding persistent Ammo:  this would make sense if you could scavage from the corpses of fallen team members not picked up on the battlefield for their remaining supplies.  It seemed with the previous system you were treated as a reinforcement, and thus, deployed with a fresh load.  If you wish to make the logistics part of SQUAD, then it makes sense that scavaging would be part of the equation.  The only restriction, I might put on scavaging would be that you cannot loot your own corpse and some cross-team savaging.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Will that postpone v12?

Map marking? Nope, it's been in progress as part of some UI updates for a bit. =)

Nice! Even more excited about v12!

Persistent ammo can be applicable for remote rally points and will be more meaningful. There is no gain applying this to forward operating base (FOB). FOBs are already maintained to be fully operational.

No news about Fallujah West? You started to create Kashan Desert copy before finishing it? Most of the Project Reality maps are cool Map List Here. We want to play Muttrah City, Lashkar Valley, Korrengal Valley(not as a mod map!), Karbala, Ramiel, Operation Archer, Kozelsk, Gaza, Dragon Fly, Assault on Grozny. You know the list guys. Just copy them in.

The thing is, as a free mod, Project Reality (which some of you part of it) done great things in faster pace and still doing with their, now small, team. When compared there is no diversity and richness in Squad as in PR. Also Squad cuildings are just there as a concrete jungle while in PR you can get the flavor of was once a living cities turned into battlezones.

I know I am referring PR much but much of the base people who supported Squad are people those come from PR. Because we know you. Because we know what you give us for free for a decade. So please dont push main things to modders, guys (original maps + helis, etc.).

4 hours ago, DesertTigerTR said:

Persistent ammo can be applicable for remote rally points and will be more meaningful. There is no gain applying this to forward operating base (FOB). FOBs are already maintained to be fully operational.

No news about Fallujah West? You started to create Kashan Desert copy before finishing it? Most of the Project Reality maps are cool Map List Here. We want to play Muttrah City, Lashkar Valley, Korrengal Valley(not as a mod map!), Karbala, Ramiel, Operation Archer, Kozelsk, Gaza, Dragon Fly, Assault on Grozny. You know the list guys. Just copy them in.

The thing is, as a free mod, Project Reality (which some of you part of it) done great things in faster pace and still doing with their, now small, team. When compared there is no diversity and richness in Squad as in PR. Also Squad cuildings are just there as a concrete jungle while in PR you can get the flavor of was once a living cities turned into battlezones.

I know I am referring PR much but much of the base people who supported Squad are people those come from PR. Because we know you. Because we know what you give us for free for a decade. So please dont push main things to modders, guys (original maps + helis, etc.).

Pretty sure that core features are the main things, not new maps. Also, PR's development has lasted for over 10 years, ofcourse they have more content, it's a mod for a game that was already finished. They didn't have to do as much from scratch. Falludjah west has been talked about in the latest developer chat. Squad so far has 5 factions, which is decent enough for early access (tho i do want at least one or two more for after the full release).

No news about Fallujah West? You started to create Kashan Desert copy before finishing it? 

Fallujah is going to be the crown jewel map, of Squad. It's taking so long, because the map is going to have a lot of detail to it, it also has a lot of custom assets being made for the multiple districts, specifically for that map. If you look at the screen shots of Kashan, you see the building and terrain details? Fullajah is going to have a lot of that, in terms of map detail. OWI want to get Fallujah right, so they're taking their time.

As pointed out above by @Guan_Yu007 PR has taken 10+ years to get to where it is, It was built on an already existing game(BF2), so the systems and mechanics were already there to tweak and build upon. Squad is being built from the ground up, everything is made from scratch. It takes time, a lot of time.

Patience is a virtue.

Like 3 years for a payed product is somewhat is fare to see some things in place I guess. They altered many things and introduced new ones for PR so its not something you just spending 1 hour to a thing because its a mod on complete game. Also when developping PR it was not their job but a hobby which they can not give all of their times to it. Now it is. So you can not say those years equal to this ones. They are far too slow and this is said not just by me but by many people.

Also about doing things "right" (perfection), many people do not care about it and there are many game play related problems need to be addressed (spg scope bug still did not fixed for months really?! " PERFECTION "). They have heightmaps for PR maps so they can easily create and alter terrain, rest is populating it which also can be copied from related PR maps. By doing it with small effort they can have 30+ maps instantly (most of them not made people leave the server like in squad ones).

If you say waiting 3 years is not enough to be called patient I dont now what else. I dont want to see this game in "right" state when I need help to walk.

2 hours ago, DesertTigerTR said:

Like 3 years for a payed product is somewhat is fare to see some things in place I guess. They altered many things and introduced new ones for PR so its not something you just spending 1 hour to a thing because its a mod on complete game. Also when developping PR it was not their job but a hobby which they can not give all of their times to it. Now it is. So you can not say those years equal to this ones. They are far too slow and this is said not just by me but by many people.

Also about doing things "right" (perfection), many people do not care about it and there are many game play related problems need to be addressed (spg scope bug still did not fixed for months really?! " PERFECTION "). They have heightmaps for PR maps so they can easily create and alter terrain, rest is populating it which also can be copied from related PR maps. By doing it with small effort they can have 30+ maps instantly (most of them not made people leave the server like in squad ones).

If you say waiting 3 years is not enough to be called patient I dont now what else. I dont want to see this game in "right" state when I need help to walk.

Three years is pretty normal for majority of game development. Even for AAA companies, it takes 3+ years(even more so, if they commit 1 - 2 years worth of DLC). With Squad, you don't miss out on the development cycle, you get to go through the whole process. With AAA games, you miss it all out and play from Beta or release. It makes games like Squad seem like it's taking a long time - but the reality is, it's around the same amount of time, you just are here for the whole ride with Squad.

In three years, since the first test to now, OWI has released
- 60+ patches(including hotfixes)
- 14 maps(soon to be 15 with Tallil) - (Will be 16 with Fallujah) and over 80 layers
- 5 factions
- 20+ vehicles(including variations of same vehicles)
- 40+ Weapons & explosives
- Multiple mechanic/system rewrites & updates, as well as completely new systems
- SDK + modding support(Soon to release modding 2.0)

That is impressive for a small team and budget, and is quite unheard of for a lot Indie games, let alone fancy AAA titles.

That's not how things work unfortunately, taking the height maps and using the footprints of the map layouts, doesn't = instant maps. There's a lot to do, from rescaling, asset creation, technical side of creating maps(foliage placement, splines, setting up road networks, integrating game modes to function etc etc) - and a tonne more. It's a lot more, than a simple copy + paste.

1 minute ago, Dubs said:

Three years is pretty normal for majority of game development. Even for AAA companies, it takes 3+ years(even more so, if they commit 1 - 2 years worth of DLC). With Squad, you don't miss out on the development cycle, you get to go through the whole process. With AAA games, you miss it all out and play from Beta or release. It makes games like Squad seem like it's taking a long time - but the reality is, it's around the same amount of time, you just are here for the whole ride with Squad.

In three years, since the first test to now, OWI has released
- 60+ patches(including hotfixes)
- 14 maps(soon to be 15 with Kashan) - (Will be 16 with Fallujah) and over 80 layers
- 5 factions
- 20+ vehicles(including variations of same vehicles)
- 40+ Weapons & explosives
- Multiple mechanic/system rewrites & updates, as well as completely new systems

That is impressive for a small team and budget, and is quite unheard of for a lot Indie games, let alone fancy AAA titles.

That's not how things work unfortunately, taking the height maps and using the footprints of the map layouts, doesn't = instant maps. There's a lot to do, from rescaling, asset creation, technical side of creating maps(foliage placement, splines, setting up road networks, integrating game modes to function etc etc) - and a tonne more. It's a lot more, than a simple copy + paste.

If you take what I said "just simple copy and paste" thats you understanding but it will way much faster copy those maps. Those things you mentioned are not rocket science where we are in game development today and we are talking about people who already have experience. What makes a map a complicated for those who are making it is preserving some kind of balance (acceptable for a game) for sides and optimization (which with 1080TI you can not get stable 60fps in max settings). Other things are fancy stuff to make it look like lively.

You have given numbers, nice thing but things like I mentioned (SPG Scope Bug) still there for months, also we played Belaya for months with broken textures, they implemented global fog for TOW but it only affected the opfor side, they couldnt even implemented effective suppression system which is the main thing of this game. They are working on modding tools and pushing modding community to do something even in this state of game.

As I said they are not newbies. They are capable of doing things but they are working very slow and thats not just my opinion. 3 years is enough to progress much of the game. According to your logic this game should already be in beta level which is still alpha! Sales of the game will not keep increasing constantly. If they postpone things and do it slow they will face empty wallets and I dont think they will continue it for free. When this happens, lets say 2-3 years after, there will be no way for players to make them finish their job and all we left will be modding community.

These guys part of the crew that created our dream game. I am writing these things not as a spoiled customer but as a hearth broken fan.

On 15.8.2018 at 10:25 AM, MultiSquid said:

There are already tons of people with badly bound PTT keys or sticky keyboard that keep hotmic-ing constantly, I imagine it would be even worse with voice activation enabled. It's not that difficult to get used to PTT, plus there's usually much more players within local voice range in Squad than in most other games, so it's very important for people to be transmitting voice only when they actually mean to. Unfortunately with voice activation you usually pay for the comfort of usage by annoying others.

The hot mic happen if you open map while talking on squad radio. Happens all the time for me as SL at I use map all the time.

13 hours ago, DesertTigerTR said:

If you take what I said "just simple copy and paste" thats you understanding but it will way much faster copy those maps. Those things you mentioned are not rocket science where we are in game development today and we are talking about people who already have experience. What makes a map a complicated for those who are making it is preserving some kind of balance (acceptable for a game) for sides and optimization (which with 1080TI you can not get stable 60fps in max settings). Other things are fancy stuff to make it look like lively.

You have given numbers, nice thing but things like I mentioned (SPG Scope Bug) still there for months, also we played Belaya for months with broken textures, they implemented global fog for TOW but it only affected the opfor side, they couldnt even implemented effective suppression system which is the main thing of this game. They are working on modding tools and pushing modding community to do something even in this state of game.

As I said they are not newbies. They are capable of doing things but they are working very slow and thats not just my opinion. 3 years is enough to progress much of the game. According to your logic this game should already be in beta level which is still alpha! Sales of the game will not keep increasing constantly. If they postpone things and do it slow they will face empty wallets and I dont think they will continue it for free. When this happens, lets say 2-3 years after, there will be no way for players to make them finish their job and all we left will be modding community.

These guys part of the crew that created our dream game. I am writing these things not as a spoiled customer but as a hearth broken fan.

It's not complete rocket science, yes, but it's time consuming to build a map. If maps could be made in a week, every FPS game would have 50 maps on release. But it's simply not the case, there's a process to making them, and that process is long, especially when priorities change and the development of the maps have to be put on hold to focus on something else that needs to be done(Like Artist being put onto upcoming patch content, and being moved off Map assets)

SPG scope bug is simply not a high priority compared to other things, it's a rare occurrence and has a workaround to get rid of it. When higher priority things are completed, we'll see the lower priority issues move up the ladder to be fixed, it's how things go. Suppression system has had a complete remake, and is in testing for V12 by the way ;)

You've misinterpreted my point. It does take 3+ years to make a game on average, yes. Generally for big companies with 300+ employees and 50+ million dollar budgets. OWI has taken around the same time, but has far more content than most games do on full release, while Squad still being alpha, with a far smaller team and budget to work with. While the game still has away to reach 1.0 release, the game is coming along nicely. 2018 has been OWI's faster year for content and system releases.

Just keep that patience up and you won't be disappointed. V12 is coming and it's going to be a game changer!

16 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

Yo, its been 3 weeks... :(

What are you waiting for?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Melbo said:

What are you waiting for?

I dunno, maybe tanks that were "pretty much almost ready" as said on stream almost a month ago (or a month ago). Pre-release testing of v12 or something? Something? :(

Edited by Mogwai

1 hour ago, Mogwai said:

I dunno, maybe tanks that were "pretty much almost ready" as said on stream almost a month ago (or a month ago). Pre-release testing of v12 or something? Something? :(

I think while the tanks might well be ready, there's other stuff to adjust and test with every edit. V12 comes with more than just tanks i'm sure.