Gatzby

July 2018 Recap

45 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

Timestamped....

Maybe that could be a special feature for when the CAF comes into Squad :P 

This is called treading, it's only viable if your pack is packed correctly, and water-proofed, so it aids natural buoyancy in floating across bodies of water. It's extremely slow, tires you out - even more so, while wearing full kit.

The problem is, it's situational and you can guarantee, most, if not all soldiers that have been exposed to prolonged engagements, or been out of the wire for days, will have dug into their pack for food, water, reserve ammo, batteries etc on more than a single occasion, and would have not set up their pack correctly again lol Not to mention, crossing bodies of water while under fire is not something that will occur, unless it's one of those very rare occurrences, where there is no other choice.

5 minutes ago, Dubs said:

The problem is, it's situational and you can guarantee, most, if not all soldiers that have been exposed to prolonged engagements, or been out of the wire for days, will have dug into their pack for food, water, reserve ammo, batteries etc on more than a single occasion, and would have not set up their pack correctly again lol Not to mention, crossing bodies of water while under fire is not something that will occur, unless it's one of those very rare occurrences, where there is no other choice.

TLDR: It's not realistic CptDirty!

To that I'll say how is Rallypoint/Habs realistic? I mean we can dance circles around this realistic argument for days with things already implemented in game lol just look at the feedback section of the forums. I just think there's always a trade-off that can come with any suggestion for the sake of balance and FUN! 

Realism aspect aside, are there other reasons why devs wouldn't want it in?

2 hours ago, CptDirty said:

TLDR: It's not realistic CptDirty!

To that I'll say how is Rallypoint/Habs realistic? I mean we can dance circles around this realistic argument for days with things already implemented in game lol just look at the feedback section of the forums. I just think there's always a trade-off that can come with any suggestion for the sake of balance and FUN! 

Realism aspect aside, are there other reasons why devs wouldn't want it in?

Has to be a spawn mechanic, or game = running from main sim lel Rallypoints are sort of realistic, aside from the whole appearing out of thin air thing :P It represents an ORP, to regroup at a point outside an OBJ, to prepare before moving in. One of those things, implemented unrealistically, to gain a realistic result.

Who knows, maybe OWI plan to increase depth of all rivers on maps, so only Al Basrah isn't the only one - to give choke points strategic value. Maybe they have plans to add amphibious capabilities to certain APC's/IFV's, like their IRL counterparts.

From what I understand, proper water physics has been not an easy task to accomplish with out current dev kit.

I'm sure it will eventually happen, but previous attempts have been dead ends... 

Nevermind swimming for now, just having the ability to not allow player to go prone or crouch in water would be a great first stepping stone... Followed by amphibious vehicles and then, tackle the topic of "soldier swimming", which is the controversial bit...

There's alot of different approaches that could happen with soldier swimming from a design point of view. Allowing short, slow swims when the player is in water over this head, and then after that distance, player sinks like a rock... could be a way to create river barriers while keeping the player to make some risk/reward moments instead of the "sulfuric acid" water approach.

Another approach could be like ArmA: after set amount or time treading water (5-10 seconds?) Player loses all his kit, so when he gets to land, he has no weapon or items. This could also be coupled with a hard max limit (60 seconds?) That he would then sink to the bottom.

Key statement is that rivers/lakes/oceans is a big time obstacle and should be presented as such in game.

But the Basrah (and Narva has some) sulfuric rivers are obviously less than ideal. BF2 method of just freeform swimming no punishment is too far as well (and indeed actually it was used to break your fall jumping off cliffs or high rise buildings)

23 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Followed by amphibious vehicles

source.gif

2 hours ago, CptDirty said:

source.gif

likely will become a priority for 2019... obviously it would open up alot more mapping possibilities....

11 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

likely will become a priority for 2019... obviously it would open up alot more mapping possibilities....

Marines confirmed!

ShockingFirsthandAcaciarat-size_restrict

3 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

From what I understand, proper water physics has been not an easy task to accomplish with out current dev kit.

I'm sure it will eventually happen, but previous attempts have been dead ends... 

Nevermind swimming for now, just having the ability to not allow player to go prone or crouch in water would be a great first stepping stone... Followed by amphibious vehicles and then, tackle the topic of "soldier swimming", which is the controversial bit...

There's alot of different approaches that could happen with soldier swimming from a design point of view. Allowing short, slow swims when the player is in water over this head, and then after that distance, player sinks like a rock... could be a way to create river barriers while keeping the player to make some risk/reward moments instead of the "sulfuric acid" water approach.

Another approach could be like ArmA: after set amount or time treading water (5-10 seconds?) Player loses all his kit, so when he gets to land, he has no weapon or items. This could also be coupled with a hard max limit (60 seconds?) That he would then sink to the bottom.

Key statement is that rivers/lakes/oceans is a big time obstacle and should be presented as such in game.

But the Basrah (and Narva has some) sulfuric rivers are obviously less than ideal. BF2 method of just freeform swimming no punishment is too far as well (and indeed actually it was used to break your fall jumping off cliffs or high rise buildings)

I like this idea, leave it up to players to figure out if the risk of swimming is worth it. 

1 hour ago, fatalsushi said:

Ohh yes, amphibious assaults would be amazing.

Just a boat.... what's amazing about it? aav7-amphibious-assault-vehicle-09.jpg

And also we still can talk after getting killed...we can hear nothing when enemies are yelling... The local voice button is just inconvenient... Have these ever been discussed before? 

How is the local voice button inconvenient? Laying wounded on the ground, you can use the local voice to talk to a nearby medic who would otherwise not be able to find you as quick. Being incapacitated doesn't mean you're dead. As for not being able to hear enemies, it's done to encourage the use of the ingame comms. People would flock away from the ingame comes and use teamspeak and discord way more often if enemies could hear them talk.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jeffer7892 said:

It would be better if can talk freely without pressing that key...would that make the game jammed? 

Push-to-Talk button vs Voice Activated. 

I believe it would because already there's people with hot mics every now and then that becomes unbearable and everyone asks them to kindly fix their hot mic.

Edited by CptDirty

Ow maybe just let every voice from mouth be heard lol... Not everyone uses discord. Of course you can use discord if u r playing with friends why not? 

10 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

Push-to-Talk button vs Voice Activated. 

I believe it would because already there's people with hot mics every now and then that becomes unbearable and everyone asks them to kindly fix their hot mic.

Maybe just local voice not walkie talkie 

10 minutes ago, Jeffer7892 said:

Ow maybe just let every voice from mouth be heard lol... Not everyone uses discord. Of course you can use discord if u r playing with friends why not? 

1 minute ago, Jeffer7892 said:

Maybe just local voice not walkie talkie 

Not sure what you're asking but local voice in Squad's VOIP is not heard by others as being over the radio. Local voice is local, not broadcasted. 

25 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

How is the local voice button inconvenient? Laying wounded on the ground, you can use the local voice to talk to a nearby medic who would otherwise not be able to find you as quick. Being incapacitated doesn't mean you're dead. As for not being able to hear enemies, it's done to encourage the use of the ingame comms. People would flock away from the ingame comes and use teamspeak and discord way more often if enemies could hear them talk.

Why not? Not everyone uses discord, and u can only use it when playing with friends 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

Not sure what you're asking but local voice in Squad's VOIP is not heard by others as being over the radio. Local voice is local, not broadcasted. 

Ya I know, what I mean is if there is something emergency I can both inform mates around and take action immediately. Without affecting my movement.

Edited by Jeffer7892

4 minutes ago, Jeffer7892 said:

Ya I know, what I mean is if there is something emergency I can both inform mates around and take action immediately. Without affecting my movement.

Right...so what you're asking for is Voice Activation....

I would hate voice activation in Squad lol. People who have stuff on the background all the time will be so damn annoying.. In discord i always force people to have PTT enabled, will then have the same in my squad.