Gatzby

July 2018 Recap

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

Somewhat underwhelming recap for me, even though I'm not entirely sure why. It just seems... shorter? The persistent ammo thing is definitely food for thought, other than that I didn't really get the goosebumps like I used to with the previous recaps.

That's interesting....  I feel the opposite for some reason... This one was far more interesting or exciting for me to read than the last two, but I also can't put my finger on why.

Edit: I apparently lied. I went back and looked at the last 3 and I was equally excited about last month's one... because they're basically the same thing except with more detail in July's. May's one really didn't do it for me, probably because I don't do vehicles much. 

Edited by Psyrus

4 hours ago, Viper3369 said:

People won't lose ammo - they just cannot gain it by dying and respawning.

I believe the Rifleman without scope will have one (?) droppable ammo bag - so if you're running out of ammo, he can drop it and you can resupply, basically a limited ammo supply point that doesn't require FOB/deploy points. Not sure if he can pick it up again? I read also that it may be replenished somehow? 

The point of this change is to reward tactical/squad based game play - if you run off on your own, you'll likely either die or run out of ammo. That you respawn with the same amount of ammo (with minimum 2 mags, 2 bandages) means that front line squads will have to conserve ammo, and those with AT, HAT, or Grenadier can't use the old "die and respawn to get ammo" trick. Pushing hard through enemy lines without ammo supplies will not be long term viable, and probably will mean flag capture and holding will have more back and forth play. It will probably help mitigate squads that try to deny flags. It also balances out the fact that you probably will live a bit longer as now everyone can be revived (but to limited health) by anyone with a medic patch.

I definitely approve of this direction. Good job devs, this all looks excellent (and I know there's more we don't know yet - sheesh only 21 days to go (*))

Considering that several people worked on PR and now on Squad, there's bound to be some commonality, but experimenting and differences are a good idea. If something doesn't work, the next version will balance it out. Has happened before, will happen again.

(*) Meme alert: The next Squad version is always three weeks away, until it isn't.

Forcing people to do teamwork just for the sake of it makes no sense! Plus the fact that a newly spawned rifleman will have new ammo bags defeats the whole purpose entirely. Not to mention that this mechanism is extremely frustrating for the team that doesn't have enough experienced and team-oriented players! At present due to the lack of auto-balance mechanism we often see complete landsilde win/loss streak as veterans tend to aggregate, this ammo thing would only make things worse for the noob team.

Posted (edited)

First off I'm loving the Recap, but surprised they still haven't shown the Russian T72 and British Challenger to balance things out in Alpha 12. Also, still no love from Fallujah. Oh well... :( The M1A2 Abrams and Talill Outskirts is looking really brilliant though. :D

Edited by WarEagle751

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

Somewhat underwhelming recap for me, even though I'm not entirely sure why. It just seems... shorter? The persistent ammo thing is definitely food for thought, other than that I didn't really get the goosebumps like I used to with the previous recaps.

This recap combined with the last one represent a huge shift in the gameplay and meta. I've never been more excited for a Squad update than I am for v12 because of what it's going to mean for the gameplay. 

Gameplay improvements just don't translate into images/gifs as well.

Edited by wavefunction

Guys, I hate to be that guy that always bitches....But the new UI is going to be a real pain to get accustomed to. It feels as though the devs took too much time to work on something that honestly could've met the requests of the community by just adding the required info of kits on top of what it already was. 

I'm not bashing the UI for being ugly, it's not. I'm pointing out that it doesn't add anything to the game.

It's too over the top...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

Guys, I hate to be that guy that always bitches....But the new UI is going to be a real pain to get accustomed to. It feels as though the devs took too much time to work on something that honestly could've met the requests of the community by just adding the required info of kits on top of what it already was. 

I'm not bashing the UI for being ugly, it's not. I'm pointing out that it doesn't add anything to the game.

It's too over the top...

I actually kinda like it. It takes away the old fashioned PR/BF2 UI style that we're used to and not just gives Squad it's own identity, but an advanced and mature standard of UI as well.

Edited by WarEagle751

Very excited for the persistent ammo idea. I won't be able to simply get myself killed to respawn with a HAT in the middle of nowhere, which is good. 

Great job! I was wondering if there is anything new about fallujah and choppers?

10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

So now we're going to increase the need of logi runs to FOBs for ammo but add no reward to the actual players doing them.

GREAT

Fairly certain Squad has pursued a development style that rewards teamwork rather than arbitrary individual points on a scoreboard. 

This system should be fairly obvious to anyone that it's a huge boon to their teammates and therefore an important and valuable function to perform.

Wow this is amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on some of these toys and the tanks.

OK, I’m just going to ask what everyone wants to know.

Can you kill people with the hammer?

Nice update. Thanks Gatzby.

Not sure I like the idea of crewman only having access to the repair kits. Can we not have a kit on vehicles you can retrieve as a regular soldier. Vehicles are going to become very important due to the persistent ammo changes and having to rely on a crewman to come and fix up a vehicle is going to severely hamper teams.

It's a similar deal to how medics operate but with vehicles instead although crewmen will be much harder to find.

45 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Nice update. Thanks Gatzby.

Not sure I like the idea of crewman only having access to the repair kits. Can we not have a kit on vehicles you can retrieve as a regular soldier. Vehicles are going to become very important due to the persistent ammo changes and having to rely on a crewman to come and fix up a vehicle is going to severely hamper teams.

It's a similar deal to how medics operate but with vehicles instead although crewmen will be much harder to find.

Dedicated trans/amour squads will come into their own here. I just wish more people did it.

Posted (edited)

Love the impending changes, can't wait to see how they play out! Smoke generators got me hyped! Also gj on the UI, definitely feels like an improvement! The only thing I find a bit unclear at first glance is the "Click to join" - maybe it should be changed to "Switch to team" therefore.

Edited by sgt_froug

1 hour ago, Melbo said:

Dedicated trans/amour squads will come into their own here. I just wish more people did it.

You shouldn't go building a game on wishes though. They're more likely to play logistics if there is an incentive. Seeing a logi score and gauge how well you did compared to your last game and even letting other now how much of a contribution you've made to a team win are pretty strong incentives.

Those with potato PCs who have a hard time shooting can make a big difference playing logi.

love that you pushing on, wish you would fix the previous UI before pushing on.  Favourite servers and dodgy interface.   

Salty's here ;D

Droppable ammo bag sounds great, what would of been greater is ability to share mags (and gear) between individual soldiers.

Spawning with two mags .. - not a big fan of it.

Repair kit  (battlefield anyone?)- in battle they just tow off damaged vehicles, - (here's some reality to project to bright minds).

Tanks? - i don't want them , as some of You does, cause there's no destructibility in-game.

What I'm hoping from this update is few things :

Fix for text chat in a middle of a screen (can we have it on top? )

And heartbeat sound removal in incapacitated screen.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, H_8 said:

Tanks? - i don't want them , as some of You does, cause there's no destructibility in-game.

Then don't play on the maps that have them problem solved. Also, I believe after 1.0 that they might add in some light destruction like walls, a few bldgs, and door breaching. Project Reality has some destructibility in it's current BF2 engine. So I don't see why not have some in Squad later on when all of the priorities are finished. You can see a bit of destruction in this video below.

Edited by WarEagle751

Posted (edited)

Tanks!  yeah but what about these fellas?  And destructible  bridges is a must I think...

776_g.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

Am I the only one that vastly prefers the current UI over the one shown here? One thing I love about the current one is how simple it is. There's no fuss, you can see the map, your squad, and roles (and everything in them) all on one screen. This new version looks over-complicated for what it needs to be. Messing with drop-downs and different tabs rather than just one click and done to change roles seems like a step backwards to me.

Rest of the recap looks awesome though! Very excited for the new map!

7 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

You shouldn't go building a game on wishes though. They're more likely to play logistics if there is an incentive. Seeing a logi score and gauge how well you did compared to your last game and even letting other now how much of a contribution you've made to a team win are pretty strong incentives.

Those with potato PCs who have a hard time shooting can make a big difference playing logi.

Helping your team win the round should be enough instead of worrying about points that mean absolutey sod all and topping the score board :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Melbo said:

Helping your team win the round should be enough instead of worrying about points that mean absolutey sod all and topping the score board :ph34r:

Unfortunately most people dont load up squad and say "I cant wait to be forced to run logi", its such a pain in the ass even if it causes a win, in every game not just squad, its always Fun>Win I dont understand people that think Win>Score. Do I like to win? Yes. But if to win means for me to not enjoy myself, no thanks, I will take the loss. And this is coming from me, I have 1000 hours and I squad lead 75% of the time, I AM the guy that is generally the highest on the scoreboard by score or by kills. Typically if I join a squad and Im told to run logi, I can do it, Im a team player...but if they say some crazy nonsense along the lines of doing more runs, I leave the squad.

18 hours ago, Smee said:

love that you pushing on, wish you would fix the previous UI before pushing on.  Favourite servers and dodgy interface.   

I agree mate. Would love to be able to favorite a bunch of servers and not look through a huge list of random server names. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Melbo said:

Playing for the team and winning is ultimately the reason to play but you still need to judge your performance so you know if you've played well /improving. I don't remember the number of revives I've made in a round as medic but do enjoy knowing how much of a contribution I've made for the team in the end if I've had a busy round. It'll be the same for logistics drivers. They'll need some way of judging their performance or they just won't be bothered to do it and we'll all be wishing someone will.

Public games can also be very hit and miss with the quality of your team. Even if my team loses I take pleasure from seeing a good squad score and knowing we did our best.

Edited by Major Trouble
Add comment