long time pr player since 0.83 and i will be getting this game soon and I was wondering if they have said anything about when they will be adding air assets.

Time stamped at 39:40 

They will start with transport helicopters and expand eventually to different variations hopefully. Very soon it's on their high priority list right now.

I think the next patch (V12) is around 1-1,5 months away. Pretty sure the Patch after that will be helicopters. At first they only want to add transport helis. Later attack helicopter might be added. They will not be adding player controlled planes.

Folks here have ya covered, but just in case you want some official text: choppers are coming. =) Transport first, then we'll see.

I can't wait to take out a loaded Blackhawk with my PG-7VR Tandem.

14 minutes ago, CC-Marley said:

I can't wait to take out a loaded Blackhawk with my PG-7VR Tandem.

Don't forget to curve it like Beckham

From Kickstarter:

airvehicletypes.jpg

Keep in mind, thats what we backed and payed for.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

From Kickstarter:

airvehicletypes.jpg

Keep in mind, thats what we backed and payed for.

Q: Is there like a 10% chance we'll be getting player controlled planes, a10/f22 as shown in the kickstarter? - vishru601
A: I think to be honest it's something that we probably overpromised in the Kickstarter.
A: I would say, yes, there is a 10% chance, but it is likely a no. I definitely think air strikes and non-player controlled planes is something that is being much more heavily considered.
I personally would love to have jets in Squad myself, but I can't say that reflects what is practical for us to achieve well or figure out a good design for. It was actually one of my favorite parts of the "immersive factor" of Project Reality where you know there is a meta-battle in jets going on overhead with the occasional airstrike called in with a jet flyby to complement it. As a fun side note, once upon a time I flew jets during a PR Tournament campaign :-)

Source: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=262

Yup, still doesn't change the fact what we payed and backed SQ for.

The laser guided bombs satisfied me every time in the past, because i knew how much communication and dedication is needed to achieve this task.

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Agreed. Although I didn't pay then but I can see the conflict. :( 

16 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I wasn't around for the Kickstarter, I agree it sucks to have been promised a feature and then hear its been backed out down the line.

That being said, I think its better to be upfront with the current limitations of engine, then to mask the problem.

And I think if you stick around long enough, perhaps the engine will become robust enough to allow for a pilotable A10/SU25 in the future 3-5 years, even if its a modded asset. The trick is obviously making the asset alot more "cartoonish" and arcadey, as even an 8km map is extremely tiny for an A10, and an SU25 which flies at about 950kph, so in an 8km map (probably the largest map feasible in UE4), this jet would go corner to corner in about 30 seconds.

Alot of things didnt become possible in PR until prices of expensive PC parts went down, and newer graphics cards allowed us to push the envelope when it came to view distance and map size and density. it was just not possible at in 2005 with the Refractor 2 engine.

That being said, PR team was a dedicated group of volunteers making a free downloadable mod, Squad is a full paid game. OWI is in for the long haul though, so expect to see lots of cool QOL and content added in over the years :)

I mean... I also backed Squad, but i did realise that the plans could change at any time, which is the case for any indie developer that yet has to build more experience with creating an actual game from scratch. If you really thought the origional plans from the kickstarter were the final definitive plans, you've kind of played yourself.

That said, i still think backing Squad has been way more than worth it.

Having jets dogfighting overhead and dropping bombs on lazed targets was one of the coolest parts of PR, though. Some of the most memorable moments playing as infantry involved air assets.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fuzzhead said:

And I think if you stick around long enough, perhaps the engine will become robust enough to allow for a pilotable A10/SU25 in the future 3-5 years, even if its a modded asset. The trick is obviously making the asset alot more "cartoonish" and arcadey, as even an 8km map is extremely tiny for an A10, and an SU25 which flies at about 950kph, so in an 8km map (probably the largest map feasible in UE4), this jet would go corner to corner in about 30 seconds.

3-5 years would be completly fine for me, if we hit the mark anytime in the future

Edit:

1 minute ago, fatalsushi said:

Having jets dogfighting overhead and dropping bombs on lazed targets was one of the coolest parts of PR, though. Some of the most memorable moments playing as infantry involved air assets.

+1

Edited by Phoenixstorm

When i think back to PR plane flying, the best part was getting to know your jet (mainly how to land it with near 100% chance) and once you have achieved air superiority, helping your team with 20 mins of undisturbed close air support  (20 mins was the respawn time for planes). Especially the communication from infantry squadleader with their soflams to either the commander or CAS squadleader to the bomber pilots, was one of the jewels of PRs teamwork/communication.

The dogfighting itself unfortunately wasn't so glorious. You had no radar, so most of the times you would fly through dense fog (viewing distance was a real pain as a jet fighter). Then you hoped that by chance (or good pattern flying over the map) you would spot the enemy fighter before he spots you and get in a comfortable position behind him (which he wouldn't notice 95% of the time because no radar). Then you could either abusing the fact, that every missile fired after the first one had an autolock thanks to BF2s limited engine, or you kept a lock on him and followed him, until he wasted all of his flares. 

By this time the "chased fighter" usually had only two real choices. First was to fly full speed through the sky ceiling (which let you pass the "ceiling" but you and your chaser lost control over your planes and you hoped he didnt have you in his sights for a cannon run. Once you dropped below the ceiling you usually lost your opponent.

Or you could fly low over an area of the map, where you had anti air support and hoped either your ground forces or your partner jet pilot would help you, before you ran out of flares (which you had to constantly spam to avoid a missile lock).

Tbh i would really really love seeing jets in Squad at some time in the future, but they would have to put a lot of time in the flight model and the different jet systems to make it realistic, convincing and worthwhile.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

The trick is obviously making the asset alot more "cartoonish" and arcadey, as even an 8km map is extremely tiny for an A10, and an SU25 which flies at about 950kph, so in an 8km map (probably the largest map feasible in UE4), this jet would go corner to corner in about 30 seconds.

Surely this isn't a reason against adding jets right? I mean who really cares about this? This isn't DCS or another simulator where people expect to fly for hours. As Fatal said, let jets do their thing above the battle and occasionally come in for some rocket runs or to drop some bombs and then let them **** about over head.

I know there are other, more serious issues, preventing them from being added. But just saying that I really hope "jets wouldn't be believable in squad" isn't being used as reason to not add them.

Edited by Chompster

I'm pretty sure there's way more behind the reason than just that. The most important thing probably being that they have to create the code from scratch, like they'll do with helicopters and did with ground vehicles.

1 minute ago, Chompster said:

Surely this isn't a reason against adding jets right? I mean who really cares about this? This isn't DCS or another simulator where people expect to fly for hours. As you said, let jets do their thing above the battle and occasionally come in for some rocket runs or to drop some bombs and then let them **** about over head.

I know there are other, more serious issues, preventing them from being added. But just saying that I really hope "jets wouldn't be believable in squad" isn't being used as reason to not add them.

We will have aircraft, but they will not be player controlled and will be AI that will be called in by Squad Leader.

Just now, WarEagle751 said:

We will have aircraft, but they will not be player controlled and will be AI that will be called in by Squad Leader.

Where was this said?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Chompster said:

Where was this said?

It's been discussed multiple times throughout the years that the devs are considering having AI air support more than player controlled like in Post Scriptum. Now if this actually happens? Who knows, but personally I would rather have them player controlled, because I loved seeing them take off and land at the air base. I loved seeing them coordinate with the infantry and take out a few threats on ground or air. Also it gives us even more variety of assets to play with.

Edited by WarEagle751

7 minutes ago, WarEagle751 said:

We will have aircraft

Just now, WarEagle751 said:

It's been discussed multiple times throughout the years that the devs are considering having AI air support 

So it hasn't been confirmed then..

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chompster said:

So it hasn't been confirmed then..

It will probably be something that is added after 1.0, but is not a necessity. If not added by OWI, then it will probably be added by mods. I hope this gives you a better understanding of where aircraft stand in Squad. 

Edited by WarEagle751