Kiwik

More marker options for the Squad leaders

To make it simple, I think that Squad Leaders should have access to more markers, and that they should be able to use them with more flexibility.

This means, as I said, more markers (with maybe the ability to add some short text), and being able to choose who will be seeing them.
I'm thinking of:

-movement markers

-directional markers

-maybe text
Just as an example, imagine a squad leader planning their squad's movement, and placing incremental waypoints for it to follow, like WP1, WP2 and on.

That also means the addition of directional markers, maybe a wheel of eight different arrows. This would allow a leader to mark enemy troops but also the direction of their movement. That armor you marked is moving east on the road, converging on squad 4. Or maybe you're specifying that the .50 Cal you're marking is facing south-west. That full squad in the woods is moving North, trying to flank squad 3.
I know all of this can be achieved trhough radio communications, but the truth is, in coordinated operations, it is best to keep comms to a minimum. That, and permanent markers are way more reliable than a spoken comm.

I also think it would be nice to be able to specify who will see those markers, in order to avoid cluttering the map. A leader could choose to place markers only visible to his own squad, for instance.

-

Ideally, this suggestion should be considered together with my other thread, about having a better tactical map: 

So, what do you guys think?

Edited by Kiwik

Just bring this back:

Squad had it but was removed. I STILL TO THIS DAY think it should make a permanent return. 

That looks great indeed.

But my idea isn't limited to that: I'm suggesting the ability for Squad leaders to leave directional markers on the map, visible to the whole team, so to convey information to everyone. 

As I said, it happens quite often that soemone will spot an enemy squad, and place a marker on it to warn their teammates. The problem here is that if said enemy isn't staying still, the marker might not be accurate for long, and will probably become obsolete pretty quickly. 
Being able to place arrows to signify movement and the direction of it to other squads would greatly improve communication, as receiving teammates would now have a rough idea of where the spotted enemy is going to be when they approach.

Adding text would be nice to, as it would allow leaders to provide extra intel on their markers (Ex: A hostile marker on a building with the text "3rd floor left window").

3 hours ago, Kiwik said:

3rd floor left window

Won't that text flood the map? Especially with other enemy markers in and around the text?

4 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Won't that text flood the map? Especially with other enemy markers in and around the text?

It's a risk, but i'd say it depends on how the whole marker system is done.

One of my suggestions would be to toggle who can see the markers (make the intel only visible to the selected/relevant squads).
That wasn't much of an issue on Arma, but then again the map in that game is way bigger.
As always, it would also come down to how well squad leaders can use the tools they have. A trolling leader can already clutter the map with useless markers, just as some leaders would use the Draw tool in Arma to shape penises on the AO.

1 hour ago, Kiwik said:

just as some leaders would use the Draw tool in Arma to shape penises on the AO.

which is the reason it was removed from a very early version of SQUAD (V3-V4?). But devs AND community gotta realize that you can't have your cake and eat it. Draw tool is needed as well as moderators/admins on servers to see who's using it right and who isn't. Draw tool is available to SL's so that narrows down the suspects to all the SL's. An idea someone came up with in the forums would be to show the name/color of the SL that draws on the map while the pen is drawing so-to-speak. This way, when a troll SL draws profanities, someone just needs to grab a screenshot of it with that SL's name for kicking/banning.

Still would much rather have the draw tool back in the game :( 

ffs another thread just appeared on the very same subject.. anyone able to use search... as I said there...magic marker and teenagers will lead once again to the age old problem...*** pics everywhere...

I would like, as an SL, to use more than one green marker, say you have two fireteams, today I have to improvise with various markers or stop the entire Squad to read the map while I animate a route using green marker moving along a trail or whatnot.

Would be a valuable improvement to be able to use small markers, dots or equiv. , to support fireteams

Edited by Gleb

I'd love this too. Especially markers that can only be seen by your Squad, to avoid marker clutter for other SL's. I am often having to place obscure markers like skull and crossbones to indicate something important to my squad and tell other SL's to ignore my marker, not the best compromise at all.

This idea would particularly be great for organising complex perimeters and ambushes etc.

Actually drawing on the map could be tricky, but I don't see why the crudely drawn cocks by juvenile SL's couldn't be mitigated by a reasonably well-adminned server.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:39 PM, CptDirty said:

which is the reason it was removed from a very early version of SQUAD (V3-V4?). But devs AND community gotta realize that you can't have your cake and eat it. Draw tool is needed as well as moderators/admins on servers to see who's using it right and who isn't. Draw tool is available to SL's so that narrows down the suspects to all the SL's. An idea someone came up with in the forums would be to show the name/color of the SL that draws on the map while the pen is drawing so-to-speak. This way, when a troll SL draws profanities, someone just needs to grab a screenshot of it with that SL's name for kicking/banning.

Still would much rather have the draw tool back in the game :( 

Having a different color per SL -or even per Squad, could be another idea, yes :)
I'd say slightly different - not green blue and yellow, for instance, more like subtle variations of blue. Distinguishable but not overtly ragtag.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:09 AM, Kiwik said:

Having a different color per SL -or even per Squad, could be another idea, yes :)
I'd say slightly different - not green blue and yellow, for instance, more like subtle variations of blue. Distinguishable but not overtly ragtag.

I like this idea a lot, sort of like brigades that tie on headbands/armbands. I think having each team a predictable color scheme, like squad 1 is red, 2 is blue, 3 is yellow, 4 is green, etc. is a good idea to limit "colorful" diagrams being drawn.

I like your idea of no rainbow armies though. Maybe team one could be: 1=blue 2=purp 3=green etc and Team 2 would be Red scale, 1=red 2=orange etc.

That could even do away with "blueberries", instead squad 1 would all be "red-berries", squad 3 are "yellow-berries"etc

Added arrows are great improvement.
Besides others, would like to see zone markers, i.e. (front-)lines, circles / quadrangles to mark-fill territories