Sign in to follow this  
Lastright

Quick Reload Feature

Would love to have the ability to maybe "double tap" R to function as a "quick load" with rifles and such.. I can't count the number of times I have to reload in mid combat and get picked off because my character wants to check his magazine and side of his rifle out before loading it in.

It would be awesome if you implemented a feature if we double tap the reload key, we gain say 30% faster reload with a small % chance of a malfunction or jam from doing this.

Just an idea! but sticking to the realism side of things would be a thought at least

Posted (edited)

Double tapping would be too easy.
A Gears of War style reload system would be better.

I do agree that reloads seem a bit slow, but I haven't been under the fatigue stress of combat before.

Perhaps it could be stamina based too.

Edited by Fosty

Posted (edited)

yea not a thing in combat... just watch some live fire vids... their not changing those mags in a 'double click' but its been discussed x no. of times on forums before....

Edited by embecmom

23 hours ago, embecmom said:

yea not a thing in combat... just watch some live fire vids... their not changing those mags in a 'double click' but its been discussed x no. of times on forums before....

It also depends on the situation. A soldier is trained to observe the proper reloading drill, in order to avoid jamming and such.

BUT it woud also be understandable in a situation of dire necessity -out of ammo and a hostile is mere metres away- to ditch the whole thing and try to reloadas quickly as possible, the alternative being a sure death. 
While I understand that proper gun handling is enforced in a trained army, I also see how the painstakingly slow process of reloading-switching a gun can sometimes be a problem in CQB combat.

reloading is not slow, what is slow and has been mentioned many  of times in other threads is the animations around putting away various weapons/implements/rpgs ... something they have attempted to improve... 

Well, that's what we mean. It doesn't matter if what is slow is the actual animation of putting the mag in a releasing the bolt, the fact remains that checking the chamber or engaging/disengaging the safety in extreme situations isn't very practical, and not that immersive.

In PR yes it took too much time to check the mag but not in this game. You can actually get caught while reloading in real life too, so no need for fast reloads.

It's not actually a bad idea if there was a penalty for doing so. Like a better chance of jamming perhaps. Adds a further dynamic to the game but not sure how a quick reload compared to a slow one would introduce a jamming risk in reality. 

I think it'd be nice if you hit R twice quickly which drops the mag to the ground and the character immediately shoves a fresh one in with the penalty of losing whatever was left in that mag.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, _FISCHER_ said:

I think it'd be nice if you hit R twice quickly which drops the mag to the ground and the character immediately shoves a fresh one in with the penalty of losing whatever was left in that mag.

Not a bad shout. Definitely would have to be some kind of penalty of time kind otherwise it would get abused.

Edited by Quadro

Agreed. Dropping the mag would be an appropriate penalty imo. The reload itself wouldn't be faster, but the overall animation would be slightly shorter.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:46 PM, DesertTigerTR said:

In PR yes it took too much time to check the mag but not in this game. You can actually get caught while reloading in real life too, so no need for fast reloads.

You are correct, you can get shot while you're reloading IRL. What we're suggesting is you probably won't be following all the safety steps if you have to reload in a hurry, for obvious reasons, be it IRL or in-game.

i would really love more animations for reloading.

They could each have their own duration even

On 01.08.2018 at 1:49 AM, Kiwik said:

Agreed. Dropping the mag would be an appropriate penalty imo. The reload itself wouldn't be faster, but the overall animation would be slightly shorter.

You are correct, you can get shot while you're reloading IRL. What we're suggesting is you probably won't be following all the safety steps if you have to reload in a hurry, for obvious reasons, be it IRL or in-game.

I was one of the few people supported it in PR times with % of reloading with empty mag but in this game reload time is not that much takes time.

the reload times are fine.. its bad enough you have a display that shows you when your ammo is low, now you want speed loading ... remove the hud for ammo display.. and lose your ammo..thats a big enough penalty 

10 hours ago, embecmom said:

the reload times are fine.. its bad enough you have a display that shows you when your ammo is low, now you want speed loading ... remove the hud for ammo display.. and lose your ammo..thats a big enough penalty 

The way ammo is displayed is near perfect in my opinion. It doesn't give you an exact amount but a colour code that represents the weight of magazine which the character would feel.

Speed loading as a mechanic could work if you lost the dropped magazine as a penalty so you didn't do it all the time.

5 hours ago, Stom said:

The way ammo is displayed is near perfect in my opinion. It doesn't give you an exact amount but a colour code that represents the weight of magazine which the character would feel.

Speed loading as a mechanic could work if you lost the dropped magazine as a penalty so you didn't do it all the time.

yes its fine atm if you dont have speed reload...why do you need speed reload when you can see when you are going to be low on ammo... the only reason people want speed reload is that they are trigger happy and want to run and gun and this game is not about that... having an indication when your ammo will be nearly empty i.e red just enhances the speed reload mechanic which is already gamey by having the hud there... 

9 minutes ago, embecmom said:

yes its fine atm if you dont have speed reload...why do you need speed reload when you can see when you are going to be low on ammo... the only reason people want speed reload is that they are trigger happy and want to run and gun and this game is not about that... having an indication when your ammo will be nearly empty i.e red just enhances the speed reload mechanic which is already gamey by having the hud there... 

The speed load is more for circumstances where you're holding or assaulting a position in close quarters and empty your magazine with point blank burst fire. Right now when that happens you can die when reloading and I understand how it can be frustrating when you're watching the animation of a clam reload as someone is rounding the corner.

I personally don't see the need for speed reloading but don't hate the idea either.

The mag indicator, as with nearly all hud elements, is to communicate to the player what the character knows or feels like stance or magazine weight. Going HUDless is an unattainable goal for a game like Squad in my opinion. Escape from Tarkov gets the closest but it still pops big text on screen when you check ammo and has a whole menu system to communicate health and magazine capacity.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stom said:

The speed load is more for circumstances where you're holding or assaulting a position in close quarters and empty your magazine with point blank burst fire. Right now when that happens you can die when reloading and I understand how it can be frustrating when you're watching the animation of a clam reload as someone is rounding the corner.

I personally don't see the need for speed reloading but don't hate the idea either.

The mag indicator, as with nearly all hud elements, is to communicate to the player what the character knows or feels like stance or magazine weight. Going HUDless is an unattainable goal for a game like Squad in my opinion. Escape from Tarkov gets the closest but it still pops big text on screen when you check ammo and has a whole menu system to communicate health and magazine capacity.

yup exactly , running and gunning doesnt matter where it happens or what your doing its the same thing ... so it actually then doesnt matter if you lose the mag because you are emptying the mag so there is no punishment for losing ammo is there?  People saying I would lose the ammo is just an excuse..the reason they want speed reloading is the one you talk about...  Let me keep quick reloading after Ive emptied each of my mags... nah gamified BS. ....   

there is no need for speed reloading... perhaps all the tilting and examing of the rifle bs could be removed ..whose going to do that every time... 

hud can be removed by the server btw but probably wont be a game thing... 

Edited by embecmom

Reloading an m4 would take 4 sec or so in real life if you are good if you drop the mag to the ground, so right now I think its spot on .