Ridoc

Petition to Limit Server Licences

48 minutes ago, FrankyGER said:

I disagree. 

As complex as a game as Squad and it's mechanics are there will always be a need for "helicopter parenting" by admins on servers. The game relies heavily(!) on team play and quote: "[...]organized tactical multi-squad planning" (OWI). Even the license application terms say that the admins are to make sure that no players harm the gameflow and the intigrity of the gameplay as a whole. 

While the game itself has made progress regarding the implementation of restrictions that limit the players to take certain actions that would harm the team on a grand scale we are far from having achieved a standard if that is even possible.

The very soul of Squad and also it's predecessor Project Reality was the aspect to have as much freedom in making descisions as you possibly could (which is exactly how it should be unlike PostScriptum). That however has the complete opposite effect on team play mechanics as there will always be new players not wanting to read rules or players in general disturbing the flow of any round to a point where it's actually game breaking and no matter how much work the team puts in the game will be unable to reward any actions they take.

While you could argue that of course the better team wins and pre planning and communication is everything I'd still say that there are so many special cases when it comes to human failure and in many cases toxic behaviour or trolling that YES of course active admins on game servers are very much needed in order to sustain a player base.

You're still not getting my point. 2+ years into the game and at last count in May close to 3/4 of a million concurrent owners and yet during normal non patch and non free weekends the daily peaks player counts are less than 3000. Repeating the same behavior and expecting different results is the true definition of insanity as the saying goes.

In this case you need to take a good hard look at the reasons why the community isn't growing. You can't blame the game! Every patch increases the playability and value of the users purchase so what does that leave? That's right: THE FRONT END. 

You see, I believe you treat people like adults and make a robust game that serious people will play then that's the community you're going to get. On the other hand if you continue to go down the path of snowflake preservation where there are complex sets of inconsistent rules that vary from server and worry about every little case of "Hey Admin xxxJohnnyxxx called me a slur" etc. and subsequently treat everyone like children then that's community you'll get.

@Zylfrax791 I think you are making an assumption here. I'd argue the exact opposite is the case. While I cannot say I have experienced childish behaviour the way you describe it a lot I can report I have experienced lots of simple game rule breaking which no one seemed to care about when no admin was present.

May it be a missing link, missing core mechanic features, game design flaws or an administrative issue. Who knows?! Something is at fault and it must be solved! After all making games is a high risk business and you may have the best game designers in the world and still fail. 

Sometimes it's just forever beyonds anybody's understanding why a title failed at the end.

However the essence of this thread is to raise voices and point out an issue that's more than likely to be one of those reasons why concurrent player counts haven't gone up. You were making a point earlier in which you completely deny ANY need for admins on gameservers and this just ain't true. They are part of the problem. Can it be solved with new mechanics to support teamplay even more? Probably. Will the community be dead by than? Maybe. People here point this out NOW so we do not go silently into that good night of empty servers. I appreciate the discussion though.

FrankGER,

Interestingly enough, another coparticipant in this discussion (CptDirty) and I have both had a less than satisfactory experience on a particular server with it's extremely verbally abusive owner/admin. What tools were in place to stop this unhinged person when all he needed was a single server license to run roughshod over us and many many other normal sane people? I know for a fact that numerous complaints were lodged against this person with OWI and yet he still has a license albeit for his empty server because he ran everyone off eventually.

On the other hand, I continue to play on servers that typically have admin on and yet they are typically unable to stop the few remaining issues that don't have built in fail-safes like for instance players destroying their own Fob's or hindering vehicles.

The reason Squad has a large sale count yet small active player community, and this is my opinion based on experience with friends who I've talked into buying the game but don't play it, is that,

1. The game is too slow and boring (first impressions)

2. "I can't spot the enemies" (frustrated and too hard)

3. Game is too buggy (Alpha released)

Yes, i know, and I say again, those are not opinions that I share. Those are the perspective's of new player's that buy Squad and try it for the first time. Yes, it is Alpha and there will be bugs. People don't care. They want a game that works and if it doesn't they write it off. A player's first impressions of Squad is as follows.

1. Long staging time (bored)

2. Drive to location in a vehicle or run on foot (on foot often is what a new Squad player does. (tedious and boring)

3. Get to location, have SL barking for things to get done, and the noob has no clue what to do. And if they do, they are shoveling (which is boring for them).

4. After running across the map to find some action they get picked off by an enemy they can't see. (frustrating after running for 3 minutes straight)

5. Constantly getting destroyed by the enemies because they aren't able to see them. (frustrated)

That's your typical first experience . And given that type of first experience, can you blame them for not returning and just chalking up their purchase of Squad as a write-off? Yes, they need to give it more of a chance than that, but they don't. People want instant gratification these days and if they don't get that they aren't willing to put in the time and work it takes to master the game. That's the hard truth of it.

We as experienced players need to mentor new players and help them as much as we can. Otherwise this game won't take off. And that would be a real shame.

57 minutes ago, Minipops said:

The reason Squad has a large sale count yet small active player community, and this is my opinion based on experience with friends who I've talked into buying the game but don't play it, is that,

1. The game is too slow and boring (first impressions)

2. "I can't spot the enemies" (frustrated and too hard)

3. Game is too buggy (Alpha released)

Yes, i know, and I say again, those are not opinions that I share. Those are the perspective's of new player's that buy Squad and try it for the first time. Yes, it is Alpha and there will be bugs. People don't care. They want a game that works and if it doesn't they write it off. A player's first impressions of Squad is as follows.

1. Long staging time (bored)

2. Drive to location in a vehicle or run on foot (on foot often is what a new Squad player does. (tedious and boring)

3. Get to location, have SL barking for things to get done, and the noob has no clue what to do. And if they do, they are shoveling (which is boring for them).

4. After running across the map to find some action they get picked off by an enemy they can't see. (frustrating after running for 3 minutes straight)

5. Constantly getting destroyed by the enemies because they aren't able to see them. (frustrated)

That's your typical first experience . And given that type of first experience, can you blame them for not returning and just chalking up their purchase of Squad as a write-off? Yes, they need to give it more of a chance than that, but they don't. People want instant gratification these days and if they don't get that they aren't willing to put in the time and work it takes to master the game. That's the hard truth of it.

We as experienced players need to mentor new players and help them as much as we can. Otherwise this game won't take off. And that would be a real shame.

These are all valid points and I seriously doubt limiting the amount of servers a particular group or individual can host would have any effect on them. At roughly $100 a month for a 80 slot server I can't see anyone hosting more than 2 servers anyway especially considering the lack of demand and the sheer amount of empty servers already.

You've already got people in Discord begging everyone for "seeding" on a daily basis which in of itself is quite abysmal...

1 hour ago, FifthYangPro said:

How about an option to 'quick join' a game instead of searching through the browser each time? 

There are some servers you may not necessarily want to join because of bad experiences? #Badmins 

On 8/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, CptDirty said:

There are some servers you may not necessarily want to join because of bad experiences? #Badmins 

Ha "Badmins"...i see what you did there.  I could agree with that, though it wouldnt take the option away to connect using the browser as you can now.

On 8/23/2018 at 1:40 PM, CptDirty said:

Be careful, he's out there watching... 

Image result for say his name meme

On 9/11/2018 at 6:34 PM, PROTOCOL said:

Be careful, he's out there watching...

giphy.gif