thenotoriousPJ

Bought new gaming laptop – 30 FPS?!

Hi,

I just spent my last money on an ASUS ROG GL752VW in order to be able to pay Squad. I know nothing about computers.

I updated the drivers and everything and the game still runs with around 30 FPS whenever I'm not looking at my freakin' toes – that's with the lowest graphic settings / resolution and the video card settings adjusted to prioritize performance rather than video quality.

The specs seem to be almost as good as the recommended specs for squad too;

IntelCore i7 67000HQ.
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

(Like I said I know nothing about this shiet but I think these are the important specs?)

The computer is reformated and Squad is the only game downloaded.

WHY ISN'T THIS GAME RUNNING SMOOTHLY, and could buying more RAM fix the problem?

I appreciate any help!

I think the problem lies with that graphics card, the GTX 960M is sadly not that fast of a card. Test some other games if you can.

EDT: Oh and welcome to the forum!

11 minutes ago, thenotoriousPJ said:

Battalion: Thank you! I wanted to get into this game but it seems harder now. I suppose it's not possible to upgrade the card either since it's a laptop? I'm basically f**ked?

Correct, you cant upgrade notebook cards, if you can I would return the notebook and look for one with a current GTX 1050 / gtx 1050 TI or GTX 1060. Those cards are a lot stronger then your current gtx 960M and should run Squad at a stable framerate with and I5 or I7 cpu.

There is also always hope for more optimization in the game itself, but I dont think you will ever reach high FPS with the 960M.

EDT: Typo

the 960m is roughly the equivalent to a 750ti IIRC in which might be the cause of your FPS issue....

All I can advise is to Put power performance setting to ‘high performance’

So you guys are saying that the RAM definetely won't have an impact? I read this post about upgrading ram for Squad and it made me hopeful, that's why I'm asking. I could upgrade it from 8 GB to 16....

1 minute ago, thenotoriousPJ said:

So you guys are saying that the RAM definetely won't have an impact? I read this post about upgrading ram for Squad and it made me hopeful, that's why I'm asking. I could upgrade it from 8 GB to 16....

Going to 16G RAM from 8G RAM would boost your Performance well. However, given the fact that your GPU is lacking on parts, I doubt this will "solve" the problem on your hand imo

Yeah, laptops are much more expensive for what they offer. Quite obviously since theyre transportable and much smaller than an actual desktop.

If you really need a laptop make sure you have a 1060 or 1070 inside. Those should cost around 1500€.

Edit: Ram wont do anything for you at all. Its memory, you suffer greatly when you dont have enough but having more wont make you have any benefits. Apart from being able to use RAM drives and such things but you dont need that.

If you really need a laptop save up for a while, if not try to find someone who can help you build a pc (even if hes just on discord or skype talking to you). A decent pc that will run squad without any issues will cost you around 950 Dollars (without monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset/sound-system+microphone).

If youre going to build one feel free to ask here for advice on what hardware you could get im sure people enjoy this stuff.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

30 FPS should be a "ok" experience in Squad.

Everything below 25FPS you should be worryed, because you getting realy close to the magic 23FPS mark.

If you want to start now with your laptop trying VR. I don`t think so tahts working for you with actual 30 FPS.

The Human Eye is capable to see 23FPS smothly, everything below 23FPS ends up in a PowerPointPresentation (with pictures).

Waht i want to say is below 23FPS you starting to see the classic slideshow of pictures.

That´s the reason why a discussion over a 12ms or 5ms Monitor is realy pointless (in my opinion), because your Eyes are

not realy able to see the difference. There are people out there, they can see the difference... i can`t. 

Edited by Wammbo