ProjectRealityDude

AMD Freeze Issue - Kill Me Please

So, as title says. I am suffering from game breaking 2-8 second game freezes/hangups, some of which result in the game locking up and me having to force crash. It happens at random. Sometimes at the start, or sometimes when the game is near an end. However it really makes my blood boil when i am trying to squad lead with my clan and or do APC/Armor with my crew and i constantly am getting this problem. All of a sudden, bam I'm gone. No more squad lead i guess, or there goes the gunner/driver for APC. And everyone loves siting in a server quo that you just waited 20 minutes to join and instantly lagged out of. Is Squad or Post Scriptum's engine going to be adapted for compatibility with AMD software/hardware?, I played Project Reality for over a decade and was so excited to join the community here, and also was about to pre-order post scriptum. But it seems like i will need to build a whole new gaming PC just to play these two games. 

Audio is set to low, everything is on low for Pete's sake. I can post specs but i surpass even the Recommended, however i run AMD. Which your game engine seems to have clear problems with.

Edited by ProjectRealityDude

Yea AMD is generally not happy with UE4 engine... 
Please refer to the below post and go ahead and post specs and basic trouble-shooting guide 

I'd be glad to have a look at your case

Hello and welcome to Squad @ProjectRealityDude,

13 hours ago, ProjectRealityDude said:

[..] however i run AMD. Which your game engine seems to have clear problems with.

not necessarily. see clarification below.

8 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

Yea AMD is generally not happy with UE4 engine... 

this needs some clarification:

1. Squad (UE4) had (and has) performance issues with AMD Bulldozer (2011 - 2017) CPUs.

2. Squad (UE4) does not have performance issues with AMD GPUs.
  3. Squad (UE4) does not have performance issues with AMD Ryzen (2017 - present) CPUs.        

a bit background info:

Spoiler

Squad is a heavily single core (and high IPC) dependent game. - And this is unfortunately the weak spot of the AMD FX Bulldozer architecture.

Gaming Performance
AMD clearly states in its reviewer's guide that CPU bound gaming performance isn't going to be a strong point of the FX architecture, likely due to its poor single threaded performance.

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/8

The higher the single thread rating, the better for Squad (and games in general).

[...] The majority of consumer applications (MS World, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and most games), although multi threaded, rarely utilize more than one thread at a time, so this test can be seen a a reasonable real world test for typical consumer workloads.

source: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-the-PassMark-single-thread-score/51

Ryzen’s IPC nearly matches Kaby Lake but at worst lags by 9%.

source: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-does-IPC-compare-between-AMDs-Ryzen-and-Intels-Kaby-Lake/108

13 hours ago, ProjectRealityDude said:

I can post specs [...]

please do.