keajht

Can we have more weapon variety for rifleman?

Personally, I love playing the Insurgent faction because of its unique weapons. I have access to AK74, AKM, G3, PPSH, SKS, all feel very unique. Also they don't take up fire support roles so I can try them out without occupying the limited LAT, MG role. 

Now for US, British, Russian, their standard role usually only have access to one rifle and its variant: M4, AK74, L85. I would love to have more choice such as M16, SCAR, M416, etc. 

That is simply the difference between conventional and non-conventional forces. The militia simply use whatever is available to them, while the USA, Russia and Brits have standard gear.

Afaik Squad tries to stay authentic (within balance reasons).

Edited by Guan_Yu007

Regular factions will always have their standart rifles. 

But how about just give the player the choice between iron sight, red point or optic? Just as he sees fit. 

11 minutes ago, Axel said:

Regular factions will always have their standart rifles. 

But how about just give the player the choice between iron sight, red point or optic? Just as he sees fit. 

I personally prefer that optics remain limited but have those limits vary depending on the Faction. I hope that eventually, when balance allows, the British goes back to giving everyone an optic but I don't really want to see RU or even US have the same. These limitations can create more interesting dynamics than every conventional force having all optics available to everyone.

In terms of the OP though, I echo @Guan_Yu007. Irregular forces are the ones who get variety and choice of older weapons where the conventional forces get standard modern ones. It would be cool in the future to see some second world militaries that might get the choice between a couple of weapons systems but not as many as irregular forces.

I'd love to see a system like the one Insurgency has. You have limited gear points and you spend them to configure your entire equipment, not only your weapon, so, if you invest a lot of points in protection, then you have less points to customize your weapon or carry more frags; also, the weight is a variable to take into account in terms of mobility. I'm not saying that SQUAD has to be exactly the same but something in that direction could be cool.

Sorry if there's any typo or grammar error, english is not my first language.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that, of course, Soldiers/PMC operators and Insurgents have access to different weapons and equipment.

Edited by DuarthVader

I don't mind some limited customisation to a small degree regarding kits, but in short I think it should essentially reflect reality, as in - by and large, conventional forces would be limited to standard kit, overall, and others would still be limited by the kind of weaponry they can access and in the right kind of proportions.. so for example a WW2 game would, in my view, be ruined if German is allowed an StG 44. Yes, they existed, but should only be avaialble to the Germans and only for a select few in certain appropriate roles. Maybe they can get to choose an MP40 etc as well, but most people get the bolt actions, etc.

the chance of infantry squads getting their hands on the SCAR and HK416 is extremely unlikely IRL. As for that, it wont be seeing the light of day in Squad.

When casuals start playing Squad... meh. This is not COD or BF.

All conventional forces (GB, USA, RUS) use standard issue weapons. 

I casually play squad and have since Project Reality. There's nothing wrong with that. I like this more than CoD and Battlefield. No reason to be salty Gladi. 

Cosmetic changes don't change gameplay, so something like this is not likely going to make it into the development process. There also wouldn't be a reason for the base game to have things like the SCAR, or Hk416 ETC for US forces or others. 

However, mods would be great to have to change up cosmetics and even gameplay. Think of Squad as a big sandbox for you to play in and change how you would like. There's this squad ops mod that changes gameplay a lot, makes things a lot more interesting from what I have watched on youtube than normal squad games, but normal squad games are enjoyable for me.

This is a good idea for a mod though. 

In response to optics I like the balance that currently M4 with optic has high recoil Vs the forgrip iron sight .. so often I pick the iron sight for cqb .. and optic for long .. if all regular go scope then you will be at a disadvantage in close quarters 

On 14.7.2018 at 5:04 PM, GlaDi said:

All conventional forces (GB, USA, RUS) use standard issue weapons. 

The rifle is always standard in any given army, but what about the other gear?

I have never been in any military, so it's a honest questions. Scopes, grips, amount of nades/ammo etc. etc. Is there no modern army where the individual soldier can pick at least some of the gear?

2 minutes ago, Borsti said:

Is there no modern army where the individual soldier can pick at least some of the gear?

Depends on the unit you're in.

Personally I am mostly happy with where the game is in terms of weapon choices for each team. It would not be very realistic for a single force to have an array of different primary weapons, considering the theme of these forces is conventional military. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other rifles that are indeed standard issue gear worked into the loadouts...for example, for the US forces, possibly replacing the scoped rifleman with a M16A4 + Acog rather than the M4.

In a perfect world something I'd like is for each team to have the marksman class moved out of the fire support roles as one of them is on the British (Although I would remove its bipod and keep it limited to one per squad) then add in a fire support role of an actual "Sniper" like it was in PR. Maybe have it like the Heavy-AT where there is only one, maybe two for the entire team. But it would be a proper bolt gun with bipods. Something to give the edge to that class versus the marksman to make up for its slower fire rate. To me this wouldn't be totally unreasonable. I spent some time in a STA platoon, and it was common practice for the snipers to bring along their bolt-guns if the situation allowed.