Noobtastic

Removal of marksmen from the game

On 7/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

What if the only Marksman was a Marksman SL class that got a drone?

No thanks!

I don’t know you and haven’t played with you and I’m sure my generalizations don’t apply to you, but I don’t see any kind of sniper or marksman being appropriate for a game like Squad.  At all.  It’s in the title: Squad.

Now, I’m not saying every player should be role playing as a soldier in the military, following orders to the letter and never giving back talk (as if that doesn’t really happen anyway...) but communication and cooperation are keystones of the game and in my 100 hours of Squad, 99% of the marksmen dingleberries would hop in that role, steal whatever vehicle they could (probably a logi with full ammo load), lose it in some corner of the map and proceed to Tom Berringer they’re way through the match using the drone for their own kill-count and never communicate bupkis to the rest of the team.

An alternative to removing marksmen completely would be to simply allow squad leaders to predetermine the kits they want in their squad, before and during matches.  If a new squad leader takes over and you’re a Machine Gunner he doesn’t want, you’re forced to switch kits at respawn.  Give them the ability to select from makeups they preset even, just to keep the game rolling.

Tbh on some maps i like to have a marksman in my squad, like Al Basrah. Fighting over suburbs i just put one in a tower, and a rifleman with acog in another tower to cover us from above.

24 minutes ago, Noobtastic said:

No thanks!

I don’t know you and haven’t played with you and I’m sure my generalizations don’t apply to you, but I don’t see any kind of sniper or marksman being appropriate for a game like Squad.  At all.  It’s in the title: Ssquad.

Now, I’m not saying every player should be role playing as a soldcsssier in the military, following orders to the letter and never giving back talk (as if that doesn’t really happen anyway...) but communication and cooperation are keystones of the game and in my 100 hours of Squad, 99% of the marksmen dingleberries would hop in that role, steal whatever vehicle they could (probably a logi with full ammo load), lose it in some corner of the map and proceed to Tom Berringer they’re way through the match using the drone for their own kill-count and never communicate bupkis to the rest of the team.

An alternative to removing marksmen completely would be to simply allow squad leaders to predetermine the kits they want in their squad, before and during matches.  If a new squad leader takes over and you’re a Machine Gunner he doesn’t want, you’re forced to switch kits at respawn.  Give them the ability to select from makeups they preset even, just to keep the game rolling.

SL's do already determine their squad composition as far as they simply can kick someone who doesn't comply with their kit selections. That said, since the Marksman kit has been in the game for ages and in any given match there already can potentially be several roaming around in the fashion you describe my idea is reducing it to one per team thus making it useful with Intel from the drone.

4 hours ago, Noobtastic said:

I don’t see any kind of sniper or marksman being appropriate for a game like Squad.  At all.  It’s in the title: Squad.

It's appropriate, as a marksman is a vital role in reality within a Squad/section. The issue is not the kit, but the average gamer mentality - They see a class/role with a long range rifle, and automatically go into lone wolf mode, on the side of the hill..Which isn't how a marksman functions at all.

The marksman if played correctly, can be beneficial to an extent, but it's existance is heavily over shadowed by other classes, such as LAT and GL which are much more beneficial, as they're more effective with Squads urban and vehicle threats.

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

It's appropriate, as a marksman is a vital role in reality within a Squad/section. The issue is not the kit, but the average gamer mentality - They see a class/role with a long range rifle, and automatically go into lone wolf mode, on the side of the hill..Which isn't how a marksman functions at all.

The marksman if played correctly, can be beneficial to an extent, but it's existance is heavily over shadowed by other classes, such as LAT and GL which are much more beneficial, as they're more effective with Squads urban and vehicle threats.

Preferred fire support: 2 LAT + Marksman for open areas; 1 LAT, 1 GL, 1 AR for urban areas. Less bipod options, less cover makes AR exposed in open field while Marksman can use ridge cover effectively. Marksman > GL at long range generally unless GL is OG super accurate.

I always laugh at players who choose marksman over scoped machinegunners, as it clearly displays that they are complete noobs who have no tactical understanding of the game.

17 hours ago, Dubs said:

Yes exactly!  But the developers have no control over the type of people who play their game, just the options available to them when they play.  It’s not that the kit is entirely useless, or unrealistic, or that removing the marksman class would even entirely prevent the problems I’ve pointed out (riflemen and LATs can and will frequently do the same dingleberry things that nearly all marksmen do).

It’s simply a cost-to-benefit analysis.  The marksman kit, due to the player base, simply creates more problems than it solves.  Will people stop playing Squad if you take away their sniper rifles?  Or will the wannabe snipers simply gravitate towards the rifleman kits with ACOG scopes?

3 hours ago, Noobtastic said:

It's simply a cost-to-benefit analysis.  The marksman kit, due to the player base, simply creates more problems than it solves.  Will people stop playing Squad if you take away their sniper rifles?  Or will the wannabe snipers simply gravitate towards the rifleman kits with ACOG scopes?

The Marksman rifles in Squad are so nerfed that they're quite disappointing to use. Players really have to work at getting 30-40 kills because it typically doesn't one shot anyone.

@Noobtastic 

Make a poll and see what people vote. 

Option 1 - Remove the Marksman from the game.

Option 2 - Keep Marksman in the game.

Option 3 - Allow SL to lock/unlock kits in accordance with squad objective & needs.

Simple...

11 hours ago, CptDirty said:

@Noobtastic 

Option 3 - Allow SL to lock/unlock kits in accordance with squad objective & needs.

SL control over kits would be helpful. Doesn't happen often for me but sometimes it's hard to get a player to switch, or they're damn slow about it.