Sign in to follow this  
Mr.kongo

In game Map improvement(?)

Posted (edited)

So I have been wondering about it for quite some time now..

Is it possible to add these tactical "circle" like lines on the map that indicates the height of the land ? 

like the example I added  in the link below.

https://ibb.co/kz9dXT          *****The smaller the and tighter the "circles" are the higher the land is.***

Could be great addition the the tactical gameplay in my opinion.

Edited by Mr.kongo
added information

I don't think the circles being closer together means the land is higher, it simply means a steeper slope.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I don't think the circles being closer together means the land is higher, it simply means a steeper slope.

I am saying that this means that the land in higher because I know, I'm not guessing.

I have a militarily experience :)

Which is the reason I think the addition will be great for tactical gameplay.

Edited by Mr.kongo

Yeah i can see why you would want such a thing in it. It makes sense. Tho personally i don't like my map too cluttered with lines and stuff, it gets harsh on the eye.

Posted (edited)

It was requested earlier. I think they might do that later, when maps are closer to final versions. If they try it now, they will have to reiterate every update, which is time consuming.

interesting link for getting height info (probably would be best when combined with isolines):

https://squadmc.ende.pro/

Edited by Disco

20 minutes ago, Disco said:

It was requested earlier. I think they might do that later, when maps are closer to final versions. If they try it now, they will have to reiterate every update, which is time consuming.

interesting link for getting height info (probably would be best when combined with isolines):

https://squadmc.ende.pro/

Ohh I didnt know it was asked here before.

Term you're looking for here is contour lines. ARMA III has this in addition to height information when mouse hovers over the spot. Definitely a good information to have once helicopters get introduced or even tanks. It shouldn't clutter the map unless all 40 team mates are on/around the same hill....

P.S. If all 40 teammates are within a confined area of the map hiding the contour lines, you're either doing something wrong or it's a bad map/layer/GUI design :P 

Some map improvements are being planned for the future. Especially the never-ending quest for the perfect grid lines, hehe.

I work in GIS (geographic information systems) and creating maps is my bread and butter. 

One way to get around the cluttering issue is to have several layers. In our systems we can turn on and off the contour lines, water bodies, roads, assets, etc.

Maybe on each zoom level the devs can have some of this info turning on and off automatically or somehow have the map layer selection in the UI.

I remember that someone had a mod for PR to replace the default maps with one with contours. Maybe he can have the same in the Squad workshop. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:16 PM, Gatzby said:

Some map improvements are being planned for the future. Especially the never-ending quest for the perfect grid lines, hehe.

Out of curiosity, what makes the grid lines difficult. Military standard is 1000m grid squares, Measuring devices are in 50, 100, and 1000m Increments. I'm not judging i am simply curios what led to the 33m system currently being used.