june2018_carousel_image.jpg

Hey Squaddies,

Welcome to the first official Recap of Summer! Up in the Northern hemisphere, things are more than a little toasty, so high command has issued the following advice: stay inside in the air conditioning and play video games, if you can! Otherwise, crank the logi fan to high and let's settle in for the goods.

middle_separator.png

Systems

Armor Components

vehicle_component1.jpg

Since the last Recap, we've been hard at work on the vehicle components system, finally integrating it into our armored vehicles This addition effectively gives them special target points that can potentially cripple a vehicle. The most common examples of internal components are ammunition storage and the engine compartment.

If you achieve penetration of the armor on the outside and score a hit on the ammunition storage compartment, depending on how much damage you do to it, it could trigger the complete destruction of the vehicle. Hitting the engine will severely handicap the vehicle's ability to move, and so forth. We'll continue to expand on this system in future iterations.

middle_separator.png

Suppression

A system that is known to be controversial among FPS games is suppression. We do feel that Squad's current suppression system is too lightweight and does not present a heavy enough penalty on players that are taking a large volume of fire, particularly from large caliber weapons.

We want the new system to lower the ability for suppressed players to effectively engage targets, but also to not be overbearing or annoying and not easily exploitable. Over the past month, we have been continuously playtesting and refining the new suppression system.
We have been playtesting and tweaking an aim-punch style mechanic that pushes your aim off target slightly when being fired upon, as well as a temporary increase in sway depending on how suppressed you are. Of course, bear in mind that this system subject to a lot of tweaking and further play-testing.

middle_separator.png

Spawn System Overhaul

The player spawn system is being given an overhaul - this includes Firebases, Rally Points and Revives. We will have a more detailed update with the changes coming, but here are some of the changes that we have been working on:
  • Firebase Overrun Mechanic: when enemies are close to a HAB, players cannot spawn at the HAB until enemies are killed or leave - aiming to dramatically cut down on the "meat grinder style" gameplay that can be seen in V11.
  • Rally Point wave spawn: squad members will now much more likely spawn in together rather than one by one.
  • Revive System: Bandage is the revive tool now, not the Medic Bag. Any Player can use one of their bandages to revive an incapacitated friendly player. Non-Medic bandage revives take a lot longer than medic revives. Revived Players do not regenerate stamina until healed by a Medic with their Medic Bag.
A lot of other changes are planned for the Spawn system and we will give a full rundown of them in a few weeks time. The goal and intention of these changes is to allow for squads to collaborate in closer proximity, more often, shifting the pacing of the combat.

middle_separator.png

User Interface

General Interface

ui_1.jpg

One area we've been hitting hard for the next release is a complete overhaul of the in-game deployment menu. We've streamlined the process to such a point where new players will be directed from one point to another (joining a team > joining a squad > selecting a role > selecting a spawn point) in a logical manner.
We've also integrated a system that allows you to see what is in each individual role as well as get detailed descriptions of each of the weapons and items contained within. (and as a bonus, what your character will even look like!)

middle_separator.png

Fireteams

We're also implementing the first iteration of Fireteams. Basically, this is a way for Squad Leaders to optionally subdivide their squad and assign Fireteam leaders, with their own order markers to facilitate on-screen communication. (However, no specific special role exists for FTLs).

Fireteams have been designed to be extremely flexible in their employment, so it ultimately will be down to the individual Squad Leader how they want to run their squad, and also to give players a chance to learn leadership positions just short of the big Squad Leader role.

middle_separator.png

Art and Environment

M1A2 Abrams, Tanks and Gunnery

abrams_1.jpg

abrams_2.jpg

We've put in a lot of work into the newest vehicle type to go into the game, and that type is Main Battle Tanks. The M1A2 Abrams while shown off last Recap in still shots is now finally moving around and properly dressed up for battle. The gunnery we have modeled does not include modern fire control systems yet, so we've opted for the use of the gunner's auxiliary sights to allow for manual adjustments at range.

abrams_3.jpg

The Abrams also has a vehicle commander and loader's seat, both with their own cupola machine guns. The vehicle commander has an M2A1 Browning .50cal heavy machine gun mounted on a remote weapons system allowing for full 360-degree traversal and zoom capability. The loader's seat (while not required to actually load the cannon) is an extra seat on the turret with its own M240 machine gun.

The Bradley has also undergone some changes with the inclusion of a ballistic reticle for the gunner, as well as a seat for the commander with access to a camera with powerful day optics.

middle_separator.png

Infantry-Deployed Ammunition Bags

ammobags.jpg

Another oft-requested bit of kit we have in the works are ammunition bags that can be deployed by the Riflemen role. These bags are deployed in order to quickly resupply their other squad mates in the field. Capable of being restocked from Main Base, FOB or vehicle-based ammunition sources, these bags will have a limited capacity for ammunition.

middle_separator.png

RPG-29

rpg29_1.jpg

The giant RPG-29 will make an appearance as a handheld Insurgent Heavy Anti-Tank weapon, complimenting the lighter RPG-7 system. It fires a huge 105mm tandem warhead projectile with more accuracy and out to further ranges (500m) than its RPG-7 counterpart (150m).

middle_separator.png

Mapping

Tallil Outskirts

tallil_1.jpg

tallil_minimap.jpg
One exciting new map in development is called Tallil Outskirts. It is a 4x4km map based in southern Iraq and features a massive airbase with large enterable concrete bunkers and defensive positions. Most of the terrain is open sandy desert, and while a few villages dot the region, the map will showcase vehicle-based combat. Infantry squads that work in conjunction with armored units will find success on the battlefields of Tallil.

tallil_2.jpg

tallil_3.jpg

tallil_4.jpg

tallil_5.jpg

middle_separator.png

Yehorivka Update

new_yeho_1.jpg

Yehorivka is undergoing a massive facelift, starting with expanding the playable area to 5x5 km, which will open up a lot of new possibilities for new layers and more variation in gameplay. We have also changed out the grass foliage to a new rendering method which will improve performance. The Storage Site area has been replaced with smaller profile villages and hamlets instead.

new_yeho_2.jpg

new_yeho_3.jpg

new_yeho_4.jpg

new_yeho_5.jpg

In addition to accommodating larger vehicles, we're providing more cover for infantry with new points of interest and better forests and ditches. We're also implementing a new water shader that should also vastly improve the look of our water.

new_yeho_6.jpg

middle_separator.png

We don't know about you, but the world always feels better with a few inches of Abrams armor around you. A big thank you to everyone that responded to the call for assistance from real-world tankers -- you've all gone above and beyond!

Offworld Out.

Posted (edited)

Everything looks fantastic. I wish suppression would obscure your vision a little more, but I could still be happy with what's presented. I'm definitely not a fan of everyone being able to revive people though. Too gamey imo.

Edited by Hundekuven2092

Posted (edited)

Wow! I'm really loving this recap! I was really surprised that we didn't see the addition of the T72B3 along side the Abrams and also no update on Fallujah. Anyways I'm loving Tallil Outskirts! It really has that Kashan feel to it. Also the new water shader really improves the water and makes it more realistic.

Edited by WarEagle751

Looking goood.  Curious just a tech artist point of view, what new 'rendering method' did you switch the Yehorivka grass to?

Loving the update, thanks! Not a fan of big, flat desert maps with one or two claustrophobic "infantry" areas where vehicles just sit on the outside and shoot in, but hey Kashan is still played in PR so I guess I'm in the minority ^_^ 

Also kudos to Gatsby (or whoever wrote it) for throwing in a bunch of the terms used in the forum titles/threads into the notes about spawn/suppression systems :)

Posted (edited)

Will some of the Bunkers be enterable? If so, that'll be awesome. Also, it would look great and add immersion if you put some plane and heli props to hide for cover on that map.

Edited by WarEagle751

Wave spawning on rally points! YES! I think this will have an awesome positive impact on teamwork within the squad, as will fireteams.

New map is definitely like Kashan which is awesome. Should be great on organized servers, but on pubs we'll see :D

Yehorivka update and Abrams have me most excited in terms of content. Hope we see some real armor squads with the heavy metal.

Seems like the devs are really going down the wishlist and doing a great job implementing. Awesome work!

1 hour ago, Hundekuven2092 said:

Everything looks fantastic. I wish suppression would obscure your vision a little more, but I could still be happy with what's presented. I'm definitely not a fan of everyone being able to revive people though. Too gamey imo.

Honestly i kinda like the friendly revive thing .... That will make waiting for a medic much less annoying.   

Posted (edited)

I remember Yehorivka when it first appeared, and this is light years ahead. It looks fantastic!

One of the best maps of the set because the different AAS layouts almost play like different maps (I also like Kohat for similar reasons). For a while I didn't actually realize I was on the same map - there's so much area and detail. Not sure how your artists can do so much detail and such large maps (I worked on 200+ people game teams at EA, so I know of what I speak).

Tallil Outskirts looks like a great desert/tank experience - it's somewhat like Kashan desert, though I'm guessing those mountains are not in the playable area given the map overview. I think some higher ground might be a good idea - I suspect however from the overhead map that this is at the same progress stage as when Yehorivka first appeared, so we shall wait and see how it progresses over the next while. Certainly I hope it has a few tanks and IFVs (and... ahem... things one might find at an active airfield?)

The rest of the changes seem to be a collective and holistic attempt to level up the game mechanics - supression, more ammo, more reviving, but more controlled waves of spawning - Squad has the ebb and flow of tense waiting/travelling and intense fire fights - I sense this will accentuate those more. It will however be quite a change from V11 - hopefully the pretty chill community will accept it quickly. Who am I kidding, we'll all hate it until V13 comes out and then complain that V13 ruined the perfection that was V12. ;-)

Was wondering why the IFV/Tank weapon stabilization system hinted at in some videos recently was not highlighted here - from what I saw it was working fairly well in prototype? Perhaps you are keeping some goodies for release hype?

Edited by Viper3369

Posted (edited)

this is YUGE! (love the Kashan Desert map throwback look, very welcomed!)

Edited by BlackDog1247

Posted (edited)

looks awesome.. im kinda torn on the new revive mechanic does that make the medic role even more redundant? or is just same thing with different animation?  Not many like playing medic anyway...

Suppression nice to see it beginning to make an appearance although I get that sway and jitter with a rifle atm .....

the tweak on the rallies is much needed and cant wait to see how it works out.

tanks...I dont do a lot of vehicle combat but they just look amazing.

Edited by embecmom

Awesome recap!! Just one thing... I don't know if the damage model is only an example, but, I think the ammo storage in the Abrams is located in the rear part of the turret, and it has been designed for a back blast in case of ammo ignition. The tank will be destroyed but the crew has "high chances" to get out alive. Maybe this is a lot to implement in a game such as this one but it terms of authenticity the component hitbox for ammo should be in the rear part of the turret.

Or maybe I'm just wrong :)

What a nice recap, I think my favourite in a long time. Cant wait for all this good stuff to be implemented...

Good work again everyone <3

Lots and lots and lots of saliva! Nice stuff there! 

Questions: 

How do we acheve that quality of colors and lighting to the game like the screenshots of the new map parts? 

Thx

Posted (edited)

Wow Vehicle Components, Tanks, Mechanics, Ammo bags ... keep it rocking :3

Edit: Also

The  Map Tallil Outskirts reminds me slightly of Khamisiyah :3

Edited by Phoenixstorm

10 minutes ago, embecmom said:

looks awesome.. im kinda torn on the new revive mechanic does that make the medic role even more redundant? or is just same thing with different animation?  Not many like playing medic anyway...

I think the logic is that this change makes the medic kit more attractive to most players. The pressure of being the only kit capable of reviving players, which can easily change the tide of a fight, is what drives players away from the role. If the kit is instead focused on bringing revived players back to full fighting strength it becomes more of a multiplying factor rather than necessity.

Posted (edited)

Love the new grass foliage to a new rendering method and water shader!

Is there anything in the way of optimisation?

Also I found a bug last night with the NSV Heavy Machine Gun on the Russian ground forces, it was self-destructing while firing using the scope in zoom, it kinda sounded like it was shooting itself, then boom it exploded, it didn't do any damage to me either which was even more suspicious!!

Edited by Cobiee

One of the best Recap ever! For me, v11 was just a small update ... with Brits and IFVs. The v12 instead will bring a radical change to the game mechanics (a bit like it was the v10) and the flow of the battle ... with the changes to the revive, the mechanics of spawn and (finally !!!) with a REAL system of suppression and aim punch!

Now the difficult will be waiting ... Devs, just a small thing .... before or after August? Plz !!!!! :)

very interesting recap. Really happy about changes to suppresion, spawn and medic. Not sure if all changes are correct but really happy to see they are working on it. 3 concerns though:

1. I really hope the disablet spawn when enemies are around has been added to the HAB and not Radio. This is the case with the current spawntime increase. When you attack a HAB currently often the spawn time for defenders doesn't increase because they placed the radio so far away.

2. Rally wave spawns is a good idea, but if the rally still stays up forever the constant attack on defenders will still happen. Also now everyone can quickly revive SL for a new rally.

3. The risk of being revived without stamina and health and having no medic around would probaly make many people instatly give up. Also wave spawning on rallies might mean you are lucky getting in the wave that spawns in 10 sec.

I really think rallies should only be up for limited time. But it will be interesting to see how it works out, when added to game or if feedback from Nordic makes them change system before we even get to test it.

Where does that leave bleeding ??  so its the choice of bleeding or reviving.