Jump to content
MattyTee

Why is there "free weekends"

Recommended Posts

I just have a question for the owners from a kickstarter contributor. We gave you over twice the amount of money asked to make the game, I just wanted to know why you guys keep giving it away for free weekends. The whole community and game experience takes a massive dive during and for a period of time after each free weekend.
I understand you want people thus more money, I was under the impression this game was built around the PR/ARMA community.
I dont mean to offend or trigger anyone, just a genuine question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MattyTee said:

I just have a question for the owners from a kickstarter contributor. We gave you over twice the amount of money asked to make the game, I just wanted to know why you guys keep giving it away for free weekends. The whole community and game experience takes a massive dive during and for a period of time after each free weekend.
I understand you want people thus more money, I was under the impression this game was built around the PR/ARMA community.
I dont mean to offend or trigger anyone, just a genuine question.

My guess would be ....free weekend are offered for people in order to give more people a chance to try out the game without paying the full price ( even though there is steam refund ) maybe for a game like squad , it takes more time to get the hang of it , becuase it is so different from other games . 

I personally don't mind free weekends , everytime there is a free weekend i give my self a small mission to go and be the best squad leader i can be in order to give players the best expiernce possible ( even though i suck as squad lead ) , i try to answer as many questions as i can , and help people decide if the the game is really for them , so far i was mostly successful 9_9.

Also , founders from kickstarter , and people who paid full price for the game , did so becuase they wanted to help support the developers . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I question if a free weekend during Alpha provides a positive experience for the casual player. We all know and most of us accept that the game is far from finished, hell, they are still developing the meta and game modes, let alone the usual bugs and weirdness you experience with a game in this stage of development. If I just gave Squad a try on a lark, didn't enjoy it, I'd never even consider that it might change radically for the better over the next year and I'd be done. I'd save free weekends for when it's done, or the earliest in beta when all the goodies are in and the large decisions are made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 12:38 PM, LugNut said:

I question if a free weekend during Alpha provides a positive experience for the casual player. We all know and most of us accept that the game is far from finished, hell, they are still developing the meta and game modes, let alone the usual bugs and weirdness you experience with a game in this stage of development. If I just gave Squad a try on a lark, didn't enjoy it, I'd never even consider that it might change radically for the better over the next year and I'd be done. I'd save free weekends for when it's done, or the earliest in beta when all the goodies are in and the large decisions are made. 

During this last free weekend the peak player number was less than the peak player count for the v11.1 release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

During this last free weekend the peak player number was less than the peak player count for the v11.1 release.

Its becouse most of the pro players dont want to play at that time.To wase the time on potencial game buyer and guys that are in just to troll.The every new update brings back old players just so thy get to see whats new with the update is the game running better and so on.

You will see how many players will come when thy put in tanks.

The free weekend is a waste of time and effort.I think it has more down sides then up sides.

If anything the discount is the only way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 6:40 PM, Bahrein said:

Its becouse most of the pro players dont want to play at that time.To wase the time on potencial game buyer and guys that are in just to troll.The every new update brings back old players just so thy get to see whats new with the update is the game running better and so on.

You will see how many players will come when thy put in tanks.

The free weekend is a waste of time and effort.I think it has more down sides then up sides.

If anything the discount is the only way to go.

I agree with this.
The Australian servers are currently unplayable, its like the game was handed out in a special needs program.
zero coordination, heaps of trolls, Rambos everywhere and on and on. 

As I originally pointed out, we gave them multiple times the amount they asked to make the game.... At least being able to enjoy it before the floodgates of kids and arcade shooters fill the servers..
Dislike people pissing in the well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattyTee said:

The Australian servers are currently unplayable, its like the game was handed out in a special needs program.
zero coordination, heaps of trolls, Rambos everywhere and on and on. 

As I originally pointed out, we gave them multiple times the amount they asked to make the game.... At least being able to enjoy it before the floodgates of kids and arcade shooters fill the servers..
Dislike people pissing in the well.

free weekend worth it just for that so made me laugh>  Special needs program, can we get charity recognition and tax breaks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free weekends are not about money. It's more so about exposure - Sales are an extra.

Squad has never focused on a single target audience. One of it's main goals, is to be open to multiple target audiences and be more accessible, compared to it's predecessor game(well mod) - Project Reality.

Free weekends help spread the word of squad. They get people to tread in unknown waters and try out a pretty unexplored genre for most. A genre that sits in-between Arma & Battlefield. Something kind of serious, but not too serious. It also boosts population during the lulls, and it's helpful when big patches or a new hotfix comes out, helps test/stress test things on a larger scale.

While it can get very frustrating when quality of play dips, you have to remember it's only for a short time. Find a group of people to play with, and you'll notice you're having more fun. Give it time for people to learn, everyone starts off new at one point. The ones who don't adapt to this style of game, or don't want to learn and just muck around(trolls etc) eventually find themselves banned or just leave the game.

Also as an Oceanic player, I prefer 3 - 4 servers populated a night, compared to the past during lulls, where we have 1 full server nightly or two half full servers. Free weekends help the Oceanic community the most, as we are the smallest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dubs said:

While it can get very frustrating when quality of play dips, you have to remember it's only for a short time.

I used to completely share your viewpoint on this and I also thought that free weekends were a positive thing to grow the community. Instead though, now each time more and more veteran players step away longer and more trolls buy the game at half price and stick around longer bringing down the level of gameplay.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dubs said:

Free weekends are not about money. It's more so about exposure - Sales are an extra.

Squad has never focused on a single target audience. One of it's main goals, is to be open to multiple target audiences and be more accessible, compared to it's predecessor game(well mod) - Project Reality.

Free weekends help spread the word of squad. They get people to tread in unknown waters and try out a pretty unexplored genre for most. A genre that sits in-between Arma & Battlefield. Something kind of serious, but not too serious. It also boosts population during the lulls, and it's helpful when big patches or a new hotfix comes out, helps test/stress test things on a larger scale.

While it can get very frustrating when quality of play dips, you have to remember it's only for a short time. Find a group of people to play with, and you'll notice you're having more fun. Give it time for people to learn, everyone starts off new at one point. The ones who don't adapt to this style of game, or don't want to learn and just muck around(trolls etc) eventually find themselves banned or just leave the game.

Also as an Oceanic player, I prefer 3 - 4 servers populated a night, compared to the past during lulls, where we have 1 full server nightly or two half full servers. Free weekends help the Oceanic community the most, as we are the smallest.

Exposure money, money exposure. Same same to me. But I understand, you guys want to take some of those AAA titles player base as an upgrade to more arcade style fps shooters.

My 2 cents is perhaps approaching some more serious/analytical gaming or game review channels on youtube with viewer demos in a mature or at least late teenage and give them a couple keys just so they make a video review of the game after sometime playing it. Perhaps ask said people to make an instructional video for their viewers how to play properly as a team or something. I would imagine the quality of people joining our community would be far above the leaflet drop over fluoridated area give away. (excuse my dry wit.) After all steam offer their money back.


Ive played over 1000 hours now, so I love this game I want to see it developed to its full potential I can just not help but notice the changes in gameplay and how long it takes to recover. I guess I just see this compounding with exposure.
I play with a group of people, we hate it what happens to the game hence my making of this thread. We have ended up playing more other games, perhaps you notice this in your analytics since ive heard many others say the same over comms.

None the less thanks for your response Dubs.

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MattyTee said:

Exposure money, money exposure. Same same to me. But I understand, you guys want to take some of those AAA titles player base as an upgrade to more arcade style fps shooters.

My 2 cents is perhaps approaching some more serious/analytical gaming or game review channels on youtube with viewer demos in a mature or at least late teenage and give them a couple keys just so they make a video review of the game after sometime playing it. Perhaps ask said people to make an instructional video for their viewers how to play properly as a team or something. I would imagine the quality of people joining our community would be far above the leaflet drop over fluoridated area give away. (excuse my dry wit.) After all steam offer their money back.


Ive played over 1000 hours now, so I love this game I want to see it developed to its full potential I can just not help but notice the changes in gameplay and how long it takes to recover. I guess I just see this compounding with exposure.
I play with a group of people, we hate it what happens to the game hence my making of this thread. We have ended up playing more other games, perhaps you notice this in your analytics since ive heard many others say the same over comms.

None the less thanks for your response Dubs.

 

The issue with pursuing this more positive type of exposure is that the game is still in Early Access and most analytical channels won't touch a game until it is fully released. Tutorials also won't be valid for long, we've seen that happen already with OWI produced tutorial series.

 

Squad occupies a weird space since it's a purely multiplayer game that requires a fairly mature community yet is in Early Access and still lacks a lot of features. Veteran players are going to take breaks no matter what, that's fatigue and happens all the time with free weekends being a natural point to start a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Stom said:

 

The issue with pursuing this more positive type of exposure is that the game is still in Early Access and most analytical channels won't touch a game until it is fully released. Tutorials also won't be valid for long, we've seen that happen already with OWI produced tutorial series.

 

Squad occupies a weird space since it's a purely multiplayer game that requires a fairly mature community yet is in Early Access and still lacks a lot of features. Veteran players are going to take breaks no matter what, that's fatigue and happens all the time with free weekends being a natural point to start a break.

For the people who paid and waited for early access flooding it with trolls and morons is just a spit in the face.
Id say approaching people like Dyslexi or devildoggamer to make content rather then OWI themselves would be more effective since they have audiences in tactical gaming. 

 

" We want nothing less than to reclaim the genre of tactical shooters for the creators, modders and players who have waited a generation to get back to intelligent, satisfying gameplay. " - Squad kickstarter.


Once full saturation and exposure is achieved perhaps it will be a generation before the game gets back to intelligent and satisfying game play?
Maybe ill just be pushed towards clan vs clan Or if they implement some ranked server system with server options for a minimum rank. Then some servers could be filled with your "exposure" to slowly learn the game together then once they rank enough to play with others who dont screw around it will feel like an accomplishment and they will participate more so as their experience will increase too. Even a mandatory 'Americans Army' style boot camp before online playing is unlocked would help more then what is done.

I'm totally a pessimist I know this.... I just feel there is a better way to cultivate and grow the community as the game develops. 

Edited by MattyTee
Added a sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, Dubs said:

Free weekends are not about money. It's more so about exposure - Sales are an extra.

Squad has never focused on a single target audience. One of it's main goals, is to be open to multiple target audiences and be more accessible, compared to it's predecessor game(well mod) - Project Reality.

Free weekends help spread the word of squad. They get people to tread in unknown waters and try out a pretty unexplored genre for most. A genre that sits in-between Arma & Battlefield. Something kind of serious, but not too serious. It also boosts population during the lulls, and it's helpful when big patches or a new hotfix comes out, helps test/stress test things on a larger scale.

While it can get very frustrating when quality of play dips, you have to remember it's only for a short time. Find a group of people to play with, and you'll notice you're having more fun. Give it time for people to learn, everyone starts off new at one point. The ones who don't adapt to this style of game, or don't want to learn and just muck around(trolls etc) eventually find themselves banned or just leave the game.

Also as an Oceanic player, I prefer 3 - 4 servers populated a night, compared to the past during lulls, where we have 1 full server nightly or two half full servers. Free weekends help the Oceanic community the most, as we are the smallest.

We know its not for the money thats why its free.

I do hope you will understand this at one point.Free weekend will spread the word around that is true but the word will be more negative then positive because player needs to know this game and he cannot do that two or three days he will start to get it and love it in week or two maybe when he gets better and starts to listne and get in a squad with an sl that knows what to do which flags to attack which needs to be defended and so on then he will feel the full potential and how great this game of ours really is.

Weeks has passed since the free weekend and when a lot of new guys got in and you still have an SL and 7 out of 9 players in a squad i was in that did not know what the enemy's HAB was and how to destroy it.Then i needed to tell them but many just got away from there by simply walking tru the HAB untill one other squad member came and assisted me in diging it out.

 

If you want to make the game popular and more players to want it and buy it invest in a youtube channel or something like that.

Where the true gameplay could be seen and felt as best as it can not thru some short clips or short trailers or stuff like that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They tried the "slavery weekend" but it did not end well (they are still working on whip as a secondary weapon)

Edited by eagon89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×