BlackDog1247

Welcome to Duty Commander

Yes this topic has been brought up before. However, I've been reading quite a bit of topics lately, and I see one big issue. With new players in, and V11 making it harder for one squad to carry the team anymore, I feel we need a definitive commander role talk again. The way it worked in PR wasn't bad, and could be elaborated on a bit, however we had missions and goals that were set by somebody, who typically knew the game well in PR. Of course we could have a certain squad or perhaps an admin on server make a "commander" squad. However they typically get backlash from others trying to set objectives for their Squad. I feel if we get this, it would bring clear concise objectives for other Squads not in the know how.

no

Squad leaders should always be top rank.

Intel = squad leader support, ranked lower than SL

No commanders. Intel support only.

Abilities of this intel position/vehicle/deployed asset can be identical to anything you come up with as "commander" without ruining the game.

Increased agro avoided. Thank me later.

5 hours ago, suds said:

no

Abilities of this intel position/vehicle/deployed asset can be identical to anything you come up with as "commander" without ruining the game.

Yep! 

+1 

6 hours ago, suds said:

no

too late, commander role has already been confirmed

24 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

But not it's abilities and/or limitations ;) 

I love your points guys, they are good ones! However maybe servers can have settings to function to set parameters like, have commander or no commander role.

Posted (edited)

I for one hate the idea of a commander, fire/supply support role yes..commander no...   ive said it before, why have some guy thinking he is Rommel or Patton telling squads where they can and cannot go when perhaps 2 or 3 squads at the most will listen ... SLs already are able to put markers on the map and communicate with one another, a commander role does nothing to help this other than confuse it.

Post Scriptum has a Commander role and is a benign fire support role... it breaks down the second an SL tells you to mind your own business.... 

Red Orchestra I think (or something like that) has a commander role that provides intel by flying spotter planes over the battlefield which offers something a little different and useable but feels gamey as it highlights all the enemies within the planes radius on the map.. 

if it was a true commander role half the time he would be speaking to lawyers to give you the ok to open fire!...

Edited by embecmom

lol @ legal :) 

You can have a commander. Just call it Intel service instead and all the problems go away. No one squad leads so they can have someone else tell them what to do.

if you want good squad leaders you can't have a commander f***ing it all up.

Posted (edited)

As a a PR vet I would sometimes take commander roles, I simply gave Intel with the UAV (which armor crews essentially loved), occasionally asked Squads not doing much to move to a different position or take out an enemy fob I spotted, drop the JDAM and arty. JDAM drops were the best ha. I would hope it would remain that way. Along with a mutiny and mute function to kick jackwagons or mute the CO if you don't wanna acknowledge him.

Edited by BlackDog1247

You sound like a perfect INTELLIGENCE OFFICER aka operator of the intel vehicle. 

Perhaps you are squad leader of the intel squad! Maybe your squad has access to manually piloted UAV and maybe you can access my squad leaders laser targeting device to make precision strikes occasionally or call in air support based on feedback from other squad leaders. 

All of your special abilities bar the UAV/Satellite imaging should require teamwork from another player, eg a target flare, laser designation or acceptance of a marker placed by a squad leader. No single handed decisions which allow mass destruction on a timer.

"Armour approaching on west squad 2. Recommend falling back to papanov to help squad 1"

Thanks for your suggestion :) I will take it into account when I decide what I will do next. 

"I have air support available Squad 2, please provide a target"

Thanks, I will do this because I want too. :)

Oh one other thing, youshould never be able to automatically show enemy targets on a map. If you see them via your UAV or satellite you should need to manually mark them.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:39 PM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

where?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, suds said:

You sound like a perfect INTELLIGENCE OFFICER aka operator of the intel vehicle. 

Perhaps you are squad leader of the intel squad! Maybe your squad has access to manually piloted UAV and maybe you can access my squad leaders laser targeting device to make precision strikes occasionally or call in air support based on feedback from other squad leaders. 

All of your special abilities bar the UAV/Satellite imaging should require teamwork from another player, eg a target flare, laser designation or acceptance of a marker placed by a squad leader. No single handed decisions which allow mass destruction on a timer.

"Armour approaching on west squad 2. Recommend falling back to papanov to help squad 1"

Thanks for your suggestion :) I will take it into account when I decide what I will do next. 

"I have air support available Squad 2, please provide a target"

Thanks, I will do this because I want too. :)

Oh one other thing, youshould never be able to automatically show enemy targets on a map. If you see them via your UAV or satellite you should need to manually mark them.

Manually doing that all would be awesome. That's why ArmA 3 stands out for sure. I just dont know if the dev's will have us in that sort of direction, however we are in early access and things are subject to change and or extreme change!

Edited by BlackDog1247