Hello there! Have been getting into Squad lately more than it is healthy, but my almost 10years old 21" 1080p monitor feels, well, old. To the point of hurting my eyes after gaming a couple of hours... Thus I came to the conclusion of finally upgrading to something with higher refresh rate and possibly higher resolution as well.

My rig currently is made up of:

Intel i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2ghz (though this setting is not final, I might opt for a better cooler and higher speeds)

gtx 1070

16gb ram

Usually I'm getting smooth performance but obviously in a game like Squad and its massive maps, smoothness is not a requirement all of the time. I've been generally aiming for a fps average of 60 so far, raising the graphics settings just as much allowed before taking a hit in performance.

So here is where you guys can help me out to my eternal gratitude!

Considering my current setup what kind of monitor do you think is best suited for games like squad/post scriptum and other similar large-distance FPS's? My first thought was to go for a 144hz 1080p (karmakut's ASUS VG248QE has been on my sights and have tried it once at a friend's). On the other hand, I'm also considering going for a 2k 144hz monitor (eg ASUS PG279Q) as an improvement over the pixel hunting that often takes place in realistic engagement distances as well as offering the smoothness of the increased refresh rate. Does anyone has any thoughts on how a gtx 1070 will handle Squad on a 2k monitor? Will medium-high graphics be achievable or will shadows etc take a severe hit due to the higher resolution and refresh rate?

Mind you I wouldn't say no to an expensive monitor (~600euros) if it's gonna last me almost a decade like my current one has, just as long as I am not forced to downgrade the visual aspect too much. Furthermore, a possible gpu upgrade might also be an options in a few months after buying the monitor, but unfortunately selling 2nd hand stuff in Greece is not that prompt as it can be in America, so it might take a while to get a gtx 1080ti or similar that will guarantee taking full advantage of a 144hz IPS monitor.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text!

tldr: 2k 144hz monitor on a gtx1070 possible or should stick with 1080p?

Once you move away from 1080p you wont want to go back.   Measure your desk space and figure what size monitor you want .  Plan for your next graphic card update not the one you have now. Your monitor will more than likely be with your longer than the pc you have.  1070 shoudl be able to handle it. You may have to lowere a setting or two.

Im using a LG Flatron 34UM95-P 34" and it's a delight not just squad but everything.  The price of monitors are dropping all the time. 

Posted (edited)

Can really recommend my Dell, it doesnt look like a 12yr old transformers fan`s TV (this gamer-style like ASUS or Acer) and picture quality is the best from what ive seen.

Ive also tested another Acer (TN-Panel, 1080p 27 inch and 144hz g-Sync BUT with horrible colors) and two ASUS ROG 27 inch 1440p 144hz G-Sync ones. Dont know which ones exactly but the they had backlight and color issues on TN-Panels.

It halso had the best viewing angle stability, you will need to adjust the colors though like you have to with every monitor.

Review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm

I also recommend purchasing a Monitor from Amazon/Internet-Vendor, this way you can send it back in case you have dead pixels or something else. Here in germany if you buy stuff in a shop they dont have to take it back if theres just one single dead pixel/backlight bleed or anything. You gotta hope they do but on the internet you always have 30 days money back guarantee since you couldnt test and touch it yourself in a shop.

Yeah, thats why i purchase all Screens on the internet, test them and if im not satisfied - send them back. Im sure Amazon is still mad that i purchased 4 monitors at once and sent 3 back xD.

Idgaf

Edit: Im also running the thing with only a 970, have to put most games on low but im confident a 1070 would be perfectly fine. Ima wait for the next gen, get a 1180ti and will be settled.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Also i forgot to say, if you dont mind dropping a bit more money i would recommend an IPS-Panel. Surely the Dell has good picture for a TN-Screen but still, would rather get an IPS one with even better colors and enhanced viewing angle stability now than having that lower latency.

Thats personal preference though.

38 minutes ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

Also i forgot to say, if you dont mind dropping a bit more money i would recommend an IPS-Panel. Surely the Dell has good picture for a TN-Screen but still, would rather get an IPS one with even better colors and enhanced viewing angle stability now than having that lower latency.

Thats personal preference though.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Was browsing through the site you linked above and when I used their recommendation feature the Asus PG279Q IPS still came up first on the list. Only problem is the low QC of IPS panels and the need to purchase from shops where replacing a defective model must be easy... That asus is almost 200€ more expensive in Greece than Germany or Amazon :(

Will still go for it thought, thanks for the top notch recommendations guys! Making a future-proof purchase seems the best thing to do, I'll just have to wait for the next-gen gpu's for optimal performance

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, doomis said:

Hello there! Have been getting into Squad lately more than it is healthy, but my almost 10years old 21" 1080p monitor feels, well, old. To the point of hurting my eyes after gaming a couple of hours... Thus I came to the conclusion of finally upgrading to something with higher refresh rate and possibly higher resolution as well.

My rig currently is made up of:

Intel i5 6600k overclocked to 4.2ghz (though this setting is not final, I might opt for a better cooler and higher speeds)

gtx 1070

16gb ram

Usually I'm getting smooth performance but obviously in a game like Squad and its massive maps, smoothness is not a requirement all of the time. I've been generally aiming for a fps average of 60 so far, raising the graphics settings just as much allowed before taking a hit in performance.

So here is where you guys can help me out to my eternal gratitude!

Considering my current setup what kind of monitor do you think is best suited for games like squad/post scriptum and other similar large-distance FPS's? My first thought was to go for a 144hz 1080p (karmakut's ASUS VG248QE has been on my sights and have tried it once at a friend's). On the other hand, I'm also considering going for a 2k 144hz monitor (eg ASUS PG279Q) as an improvement over the pixel hunting that often takes place in realistic engagement distances as well as offering the smoothness of the increased refresh rate. Does anyone has any thoughts on how a gtx 1070 will handle Squad on a 2k monitor? Will medium-high graphics be achievable or will shadows etc take a severe hit due to the higher resolution and refresh rate?

Mind you I wouldn't say no to an expensive monitor (~600euros) if it's gonna last me almost a decade like my current one has, just as long as I am not forced to downgrade the visual aspect too much. Furthermore, a possible gpu upgrade might also be an options in a few months after buying the monitor, but unfortunately selling 2nd hand stuff in Greece is not that prompt as it can be in America, so it might take a while to get a gtx 1080ti or similar that will guarantee taking full advantage of a 144hz IPS monitor.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text!

tldr: 2k 144hz monitor on a gtx1070 possible or should stick with 1080p?

I bought a 27" acer TN panel 2560*1440 with G sync. I also have a 1070 and play everything maxed out except supersampling which is off (if I turn it on I don't really see things getting better much anyway) and get around 55-60 FPS which is really very good enough at least if you have g sync which I'd really recommend. The thing with g sync is that you don't really need that super high refresh rate anymore. Things look and feel good anyway... Anyway this would be the monitor of choice if you'd ask me. Don't waste money on an IPS panel unless you feel like it. Colors on my Acer are very good. Only thing that isn't great are viewing angles but that doesn't matter on a stationary computer anyway. You always sit in the same spot anyway. For tablets it makes sense but gaming computers it is overrated. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Posted (edited)

I dont feel this way about g-sync at all, 60 fps still sucks. Especially in some games where you get input lag on top aswell with low fps.

Its only a bit better, the only thing i REALLY notice is the lack of screen tearing.

It depends on the game though, in BF4 for example it does make a bigger difference. In Siege for example 90 fps is still piss poor and makes me wanna cry.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

I dont feel this way about g-sync at all, 60 fps still sucks. Especially in some games where you get input lag on top aswell with low fps.

Its only a bit better, the only thing i REALLY notice is the lack of screen tearing.

It depends on the game though, in BF4 for example it does make a bigger difference. In Siege for example 90 fps is still piss poor and makes me wanna cry.

It makes a bigger difference at the lower end of the fps rate scale. When you are at 90 fps you probably wont even need g-sync. But ok. I have a hard time seeing 60 fps sucking that hard in Squad, but maybe I just haven played much at 90 fps(?) For me it's good enough though. :-) Squad is kind of a slow shooter though.

Yeah i know how it works, i still dont feel that its a huge difference. 35 fps is 35 fps after all. Try CSGO its easy to get 144 fps there and then limit fps to 30 with riva tuner as comparison. Its a WORLD of difference.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

Yeah i know how it works, i still dont feel that its a huge difference. 35 fps is 35 fps after all. Try CSGO its easy to get 144 fps there and then limit fps to 30 with riva tuner as comparison. Its a WORLD of difference.

You could be right. I only ever play Squad at all, and I know 30 fps + screen tearing sucked before, so when I got 60 fps and no screen tearing I was perfectly happy! On the other hand, CSGO I would presume, is jump-and-shoot kinda of style game with super fast reactions "meaning everything", vs Squad being a slightly more strategic shooter.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:27 PM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

You could be right. I only ever play Squad at all, and I know 30 fps + screen tearing sucked before, so when I got 60 fps and no screen tearing I was perfectly happy! On the other hand, CSGO I would presume, is jump-and-shoot kinda of style game with super fast reactions "meaning everything", vs Squad being a slightly more strategic shooter.

Yes this is true, the thing is with PC Gaming - there is nearly almost always a better option.................so we make our choices.

Also the technical upgrades relate to each of us differently. And then there's the cost.

I am fortunate, part of my PC gaming enthusiasm is based on getting all the best gear I can, literally trying everything and working it all out, nerd style.

Cost is very secondary to me. Not because I am rich (I am not) - it's just how I am. I buy, test, sell, swap stuff all the time.

With Squad, based on what gear I have tried (which is alot!) the sweet spot for monitor performance/value is a 27 inch, 1440p, 60Hz (or OC to say 70) TN monitor IMO. If you have and can drive that, your well set to play the game to a very decent level technically.

Personally I use a 32, 1440p, 144hz, VA panel at 90fps locked. And it is glorious, but my rig inc all the obvious bits is around £4,0000! I also need all this stuff as I am relatively new to gaming (5 years only), older, slower, struggle with eyesight, hearing and am very competitive...................put me down now right. LOL.