Sign in to follow this  
SERGEANT ANDREWS

Logi truck lacks horse power

Posted (edited)

i played with a Veteran who said in real life logi trucks could haul metric tons up hill with ease. he said they were beasts. it would be nice to be able drive them uphill 

Edited by SERGEANT ANDREWS

13 hours ago, SERGEANT ANDREWS said:

i played with a Veteran who said in real life logi trucks could haul metric tons up hill with ease. he said they were beasts. it would be nice to be able drive them uphill 

I am currently in the army and i can confirm :P , they do take some time to get to a decent speed though .

Inclines can be deceiving in games. Sometimes you are going up a 30 degree or more hill, there's no truck I know that does this fast. Heck, there's no vehicle, apart from competition ones, that can go uphill like that very fast.

In the end, it's all about the power to weight ratio, and trucks don't excel at that.

Posted (edited)

on some maps, even on roads hills are so steep that the logi stops completely. even if it goes 5 miles per hour i would be happy lol. but the trucks are always completely stopping while trying to drive uphill 

Edited by SERGEANT ANDREWS

3 hours ago, SERGEANT ANDREWS said:

on some maps, even on roads hills are so steep that the logi stops completely. even if it goes 5 miles per hour i would be happy lol. but the trucks are always completely stopping while trying to drive uphill 

left shift is your friend

I think a lot of this problem has to do with level design more then just the logi trucks being underpowered. 

Many of the maps seem to not have been designed with vehicles in mind and probably need some tweaks for them.

For instance, the afghan maps have a lot of short walls that easily get vehicles stuck.  You could avoid them but there are no obvious routes to points and roads often meander into enemy territory.  Main bases can also be laid out in less then ideal layouts.

Squad could do a lot to help out in the logi game and make it more interesting.

Logi runs are already a job no one wants to do, the map shouldn't punish players for doing them.

Thy are monsters thy need to be.Thy take a loot of stuff on them and tow stuff with the load in them.

And not to mention that thy have all wheel drive.As thy are not made for speed but for hauling big loads.

They were made slower, or some of the torque got lost. I used to go up everything, always called it climbing to the squad so they knew what kinda speeds and direction we were going. Now its just the piss poor way stright into mine hell.

A lot of the maps wasnt made with vehicles in mind, its infuriating to drive on them already.

On 01/07/2018 at 8:26 PM, SERGEANT ANDREWS said:

In my experience, they do climb the hills, albeit slowly. I've tackled almost 45 degree slopes with logis, but you have to be patient.

Max carry is 10k lbs you arent going to be fast with a full load irl. I see can it being faster empty and that would be pretty cool.

the logi and all vehics are underpowered against little hills. IMO its redicoulous...

I don't know the answer, but part of me feels like they will never make them to regular speed in real life because climbing difficult hills is a great time for enemies to engage logis as they present an easy target. 

The problem I have is we can't control what gear we're in while driving, there's no way I'd hit a hill in 3rd+.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:18 AM, Vegetal said:

Inclines can be deceiving in games. Sometimes you are going up a 30 degree or more hill, there's no truck I know that does this fast. Heck, there's no vehicle, apart from competition ones, that can go uphill like that very fast.

This is a lot of it! It's pretty deceptive in Squad; according to the developers working on the system, it's already right around the point that adding more torque would allow them to climb nearly 90-degree angles, heh. This is partially due to the super steepness of the maps, as others have mentioned. The combination of revisiting those maps, tweaking the physics, and other bits and pieces should generally help as we move closer towards release.

The designers are thinking throttle control may be a useful tool here as well. We're going to continue working on it. =)

On 7/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, Gatzby said:

This is a lot of it! It's pretty deceptive in Squad; according to the developers working on the system, it's already right around the point that adding more torque would allow them to climb nearly 90-degree angles, heh. This is partially due to the super steepness of the maps, as others have mentioned. The combination of revisiting those maps, tweaking the physics, and other bits and pieces should generally help as we move closer towards release.

The designers are thinking throttle control may be a useful tool here as well. We're going to continue working on it. =)

Will there be an Arma style vehicle health/collision system to penalize players for hitting trees and rocks? I think a large part of the perception of vehicles being bad is that they're used in places that just aren't suitable for driving across at full speed.

12 hours ago, Sparcany said:

Will there be an Arma style vehicle health/collision system to penalize players for hitting trees and rocks? I think a large part of the perception of vehicles being bad is that they're used in places that just aren't suitable for driving across at full speed.

Definitely agree with this one

21 hours ago, Sparcany said:

Probably not until they're a bit more stable overall, but that's a possibility.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, CC-Marley said:

left shift is your friend

For real?

this sounds wild but any support for mapping to pedal sets if you have a steering wheel? not the wheel nessarlly for driving input but the pedals would be nice to free up those fingers when driving long ways.

also if possible can you get the engine sounds sync'd to the engine RPMs? the sound files seem to just play as if they are being played without any sync with the game events going on......shifting etc. you can see the red RPM gauge going up and shifting gears but its not syncd to the sound being played. and when u reach a plateau in RPM the sound file continues to sound as if you have about 24 gears. these trucks have the 7 spd allison if i remember off top of my head from my wrench military days.

but nice game so far. 11/10 do like.

I think the bigger problem is taht the Logi Trucks jumping like a "Ping Pong Ball".^^

The Mass of the vehicle is defently to light and not correct.

Am a Truck Driver and my Truck is realy heavy wehn he is loaded.

Also the Truck is low on acceleration wehn loaded.

In compersion the APC or BTR feels right. (slow acceleration because of his heavynes)

Edited by Wammbo