Z-trooper

Kalashnikovs are comin'

If we manage to finish the textures in time, there will be 4-6 new AKs next build you guys get your hands on.

If we manage to finish the textures in time, there will be 4-6 new AKs next build you guys get your hands on.

I can almost smell the Kalash's now..

What is the planned implementation of the new AKs?

Will a rifleman get to choose their AK or will the AKMs, AMDs and PM MD.65s be randomly chosen by the game?

What is the planned implementation of the new AKs?

Will a rifleman get to choose their AK or will the AKMs, AMDs and PM MD.65s be randomly chosen by the game?

Based on what Z-trooper has said in regards to handguns in the Russian Faction thread I would think that the player would be able to pick between several AK options.

Long term there will be some variations to pick between for the various classes, but that is in the far future.

For now they have been assigned to various kits, and some aren't being utilized yet, and a couple will likely be randomly assigned for purely cosmetic reasons.

And there will be other weapons than AKs for the insurgents to choose from.

Based on what Z-trooper has said in regards to handguns in the Russian Faction thread I would think that the player would be able to pick between several AK options.

Of course! From the variety of the different AK layouts it is most likely that you will have a few to choose from!

Pretty freakin' awesome!!!

Now, do we have clarity on the timing of whether or not a scope will be made available to insurgent classes or even possible?

WOW... don't know why i saw this as "Kardashians are coming"... wtf is wrong with me...

Lmao...Sir,you're staring at the screen for far to long!..Who the heck is a Kardashians,sounds like an alien!? *whistles*... :D

Pretty freakin' awesome!!!

Now, do we have clarity on the timing of whether or not a scope will be made available to insurgent classes or even possible?

This has been discussed a couple times on the forum. Short answer is yes but only for specific classes. At the soonest the end october update.

Automat-Kardashian. Truly a horrifying weapon of modern social media warfare.

ERMAGERD DEM AKS THO.

I'm way too excited about the variety of kalash, will be great to see the talibs with le AK classique! Plus looking forward to a bit more choice generally on the AK front. Not that I don't like the AK74, but there's something about 7.62mm that's comforting to me.

Finally, i've got some free time. Here is the translation that I have promised. 

АK74M. Reference material: how to identify right АК74М or it's maquette. Description and photographs.

This material was prepared by sAg.

Translation from Russian was done by FishMan.

Original is here

In this material I would like to tell about major aspects that are characterized for AK74M.

This material is designed for those people who want to buy authentic maquette, depending on the preferred time period or for those people who interested in AK history.

General View:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Receiver. 

What you should pay attention in the first place?
1. The presence of all the rivets and studs.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2. The presence of engraving "АВ" and "ОД", as well as the presence and proper form of "pits" for fixing safety lever.

5.jpg

3. The presence of the three axes.

6.jpg

4. The presence of punching on both sides of the receiver.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Note: "ММГ" means maquette.

5. The presence of the reinforcement plate for pistol grip. This is very important: this detail is missing on the AK-74 and AK-74N.

9.jpg

10.jpg

6. The presence of the stock lock. Honestly, I have never come across with such absence, however, I want to remind you how it should look.

11.jpg

7. The presence of proper mount plate ("dovetail"), which were of two types:

12.jpg

Produced from 1992 - 1994 (this AK-74M on the photo was produced in 1992)

13.jpg

Produced from 1994 - present

8. The presence / absence of the "rivets" (Hill), which locks the bolt to the desired position. That kind of rivets presumably done on all modern AK-100 series from late 90s - early 2000s. 

14.jpg

15.jpg

AK-103 produced in 2001 (photo by Karden), which has already installed modern type of rivet "hill".

9. The presence/absence of the stigma with manufactured date.

16.jpg

10. Magazine catch with a rectangular stamping (type 3), established since 1990.

17.jpg

11. Hole for magazine

18.jpg

It's simple. We need only remember that the width of the magazine hole in the receiver of AK-74 (n), AKS-74 (n), AK-74M is 24,5mm, and for AK-103 is 26mm.

12. Rear sight base has to be of type 3, that is produced since 1987 - present with the obligatory presence of a through pin that locks the barrel. Handguard latch should have the appropriate form. "Pit" for fixing handguard latch should be wide.
19.jpg

13. Welding is completely absent in the attachment point of the barrel and the barrel trunnion.

20.jpg

Receiver Cover

On AK74M establishes two types of receiver covers:

1. Cover with stiffeners third type, the so-called "lazy", produced from 1983-1993.
21.jpg

22.jpg

It should pay particular attention to the fact that the reinforcement ribs are not so pronounced as it was in the earlier samples. This type of receiver cover should have a visor and stamping (very often people install wrong receiver cover from AKM to AK74, which has no visor).

2. Reinforced receiver cover without stiffeners (smooth). There are three types.
1st type. The presence of additional stamping at the bottom and in the area of so-called "extraction window". Produced since 1992-1994.

23.jpg

Photo by Sergeant 87

2nd type. It differs from the first by absence of stamp in the area of so-called "extraction window". Produced since 1992-2000g.

24.jpg

3rd type. Completely smooth. Produced from 2000 - present.

25.jpg

Photo by ALEX_28

Gas block

26.jpg

Particular attention should be paid for marks after punching, and the corresponding transition between rack for mounting grenade launcher and the base of the gas block. On Ak-103 this transition is smoother.

27.jpg

Front sight base and muzzle brake-compensator

28.jpg

In this particular case, should be installed the fourth type of sight base that shouldn't be confused with any other, although, it can be confused with the sight base type 1.

29.jpg

For comparison - the sight base type 1 which was produced in 1974-1976 (photo by ALEX_28). Its main difference from the type 4 - general geometry, the presence of pins and absence of traces of punching.

According to preliminary information, AK-74M has 3 types of compensators.

30.jpg

1. The main and most common type of compensator.

31.jpg

2. This type most often found on the AK-103. From the rest of distinguished primarily by the presence of "shelf" for a ramrod. Worth noting that in this case it takes less effort to pull the ramrod.

Rear recoil spring guide

32.jpg

Varieties:

1. 1974-1986(87)
2. 1986(87)-1994
1994 - present.
On AK74M should be installed 2nd and 3rd type of the recoil spring. Third type of springs thanks to the locking button prevents the disruption of the receiver cover during firing from the grenade launcher.

Thats all for now.

Little bit later I will give you another translation of feedback that was given to some 3d modeller from AK owners, so you can avoid mistakes he made.

I have been dreaming at night... dreams of pkms in squad... just suppressing all night long. Morning wood has been stronger because of these dreams. Maybe one day

Fishman that is fantastic work on gathering those references. I might grab a copy of those, if you don't mind, for modelling practice down the road.

I might grab a copy of those, if you don't mind, for modelling practice down the road.

No! Put it back!

Just kidding :)

You're welcome, mate )

Also there is a site called "GrabCad" where you can find 3D Cad models of some AK parts (if you type "AK" in search), you can watch 3D models just right from your browser on this site, and you also can download them, cause they are free.

Link.

For exmaple AK bolt carrier:

picjpg_4106737_19076725.jpg

Also there is a site called "Avtomats in Action"

Previously, they was selling parts for Kalashnikov and it was full of different pictures, but for some reason they stopped doing it and now there are only stored articles with photos of different models of AK.

Also cool presentation from Red Storm Entartaiment about how they are doing their weapons in Tom Clancy's The Division

Worth noting that this method is ten times faster than the traditional way of modeling hard surfaces with the same quality.

The only disadvantage is a really high polycount (can be about 1-3 million polys per part) but the time you save is absolutely worth it.

I also can show you how you can reduce that polycount using Zremesher, if you interested - just tell me.

My 2 cents:

There are 2 types of stock on AK-74M. First one had being produced from the beginning till ~1994. This type lacks of socket for tube with maintenance kit:

l2PTc2o.jpg

jUexoDo.jpg

oMse05e.jpg

Second type (1994-now) with socket:

dUAOTC7.jpg

VTHT9FN.jpg

Ar497Jp.jpg