IrOnTaXi

Afghan compounds

Working on some new blueprinted compounds tonight. Trying to get some stuff at a bit larger scale in a single blueprint to see how well they performLayout, terrain, grass, trees and painting took about 40-50minSquad static compound blueprints can be built in the editor and reused all over the map. If changes are made to the root pieces the compound can be regenerated via the blueprint will update all affected statics in all compounds. (bow down to mosquil for this wonderous system)Compound overviewPosted ImageNew arch entrancePosted ImageNew hole in wall (very fun to shoot people through!)Posted ImageNew small arch and low broken wallPosted Image

I jizzed my pantaloons. So does that blueprint script procedurally generate a compound based on a library of statics?

I understood it not to be procedurally generated, but I'd like to learn more about how the blueprints work, too, that's a really interesting feature of UE4.

Our current scripts let us build bigger compounds out of smaller static pieces. the engine then pieces them together to create one big mesh, combining all lods etc to. then you can place the bigger mesh anywhere on the map several times. if you change anything on one of the smaller pieces you can just regenerate the mesh and the large mesh is then automatically updated.

I see. That does sound like a very powerful tool, should make your life easier.

Breachable ? How are the destruction of statics like with this engine?

Totally doable but we aren't going there quite yet. the destruction is pretty cool actually. procedurally generated

Our current scripts let us build bigger compounds out of smaller static pieces. the engine then pieces them together to create one big mesh' date=' combining all lods etc to. then you can place the bigger mesh anywhere on the map several times. if you change anything on one of the smaller pieces you can just regenerate the mesh and the large mesh is then automatically updated.[/quote']How does this impact the drawcalls? Are they grouped into a single drawcall for mesh, each material and shaders, [which would be awesome!] or is it a drawcall for each submesh, each submaterial and each subshader?Just curious! We don't wanna see the fallujah CPU bound performance ever again, I assume :)

How does this impact the drawcalls? Are they grouped into a single drawcall for mesh' date=' each material and shaders, or is it a drawcall for each submesh, each submaterial and each subshader?Just curious! We don't wanna see the fallujah CPU bound performance ever again, I assume :)[/quote']Grouped into a single draw call for mesh, material and shader as you said. We reduced the draw calls by about 60-70% just by implementing it..

Grouped into a single draw call for mesh' date=' material and shader as you said. We reduced the draw calls by about 60-70% just by implementing it..[/quote']Wow, that's freaking awesome! I can't even imagine how this was done... But then again I suppose when it comes to Mosquil's work, I don't understand much of how he accomplished it anyway :)

imagine how this was done... But then again I suppose when it comes to Mosquil's work, I don't understand much of how he accomplished it anyway :)

Indeed. I share your bewilderment.. but not my skill set.. hehe

Will there be a Squad-Dev-team hosted CVS for map files? Would you be open to say ( a PR community / or group of recent UDK game design undergrad graduates) forming a small LLC/S Corp and creating a map on a freelance/subcontract basis?

Would you be open to say ( a PR community / or group of recent UDK game design undergrad graduates) forming a small LLC/S Corp and creating a map on a freelance/subcontract basis?

Not really considered it though we plan to have a lot of freelance/contract people on the team to accommodate the more part time nature of some people RL situation in terms of development. We would like to run a pretty serious mapping contest. One with a good cash prizes and sponsored products. All very much down the line though for sure.Mod community is something we will support as much as possible and I want to make it a big focus of my time once things are off the ground.

OK, wasn't sure how far along you are in figuring out all your business plans, was just wondering and wanted to put the idea out there. No worries.

OK' date=' wasn't sure how far along you are in figuring out all your business plans, was just wondering and wanted to put the idea out there. No worries.[/quote']No worries. good to plant seeds. Cheers!

Looking good. I don't specifically see doors, does that mean the doors would have to be placed afterwards with the statics? Which I assume would also leave the choice of whether to just make doors breachable or total building destruction.

Looking good.I don't specifically see doors' date=' does that mean the doors would have to be placed afterwards with the statics? Which I assume would also leave the choice of whether to just make doors breachable or total building destruction.[/quote']We do have some doors but holding them for the short term to decide fully what we want to do with them. adding them after would be a good way to vary the cloned compounds a bit more for sure. some closed doors and what not. Breachable wouldnt be a big challenge at all actually.

We do have some doors but holding them for the short term to decide fully what we want to do with them.adding them after would be a good way to vary the cloned compounds a bit more for sure. some closed doors and what not.Breachable wouldnt be a big challenge at all actually.

This stuff looks great Taxi, nice work mate.Yeah doors would be a great way to add variation. Openable/Closeable & Lockable. Variation in materials so wooden doors could be shot open/kicked or 'melee'd' open might be the easier animation route, metal more secure doors need something heavier if the defenders happen to lock it. Gives the team that happens to be defending the area more options and variety on how they go about it.

This stuff looks great Taxi' date=' nice work mate.Yeah doors would be a great way to add variation.Openable/Closeable & Lockable. Variation in materials so wooden doors could be shot open/kicked or 'melee'd' open might be the easier animation route, metal more secure doors need something heavier if the defenders happen to lock it. Gives the team that happens to be defending the area more options and variety on how they go about it.[/quote']Very good thoughts. has got me thinking about how we can do cheap but effective doors in short term and then leave the space to move into opening and closing doors later. Cheers

I know I talk about that game a lot, but SWAT 4 had intense co-op play specifically because doors played such a major role in it. I think it's possible to translate this to a Multiplayer game if the defending team can take advantage of doors by not having to breach them. It could make close quarter combat so much more satisfying if there was an option for defenders to move more freely around a structure than the attackers simply by having a button they can press to open a door, while the attackers have to breach it with force.Additionally, this slows down gameplay when entering buildings, making individual squad-on-squad encounters in tight areas more drawn out which, in my opinion, is a good thing.Do the doors right, and they can be the deciding factor for CQB. They also help with making the balance in a future insurgency mode less symmetrical, with one team having the better equipment and the other having the environment.

I know I talk about that game a lot' date=' but SWAT 4 had intense co-op play specifically because doors played such a major role in it. I think it's possible to translate this to a Multiplayer game if the defending team can take advantage of doors by not having to breach them. It could make close quarter combat so much more satisfying if there was an option for defenders to move more freely around a structure than the attackers simply by having a button they can press to open a door, while the attackers have to breach it with force.Additionally, this slows down gameplay when entering buildings, making individual squad-on-squad encounters in tight areas more drawn out which, in my opinion, is a good thing.Do the doors right, and they can be the deciding factor for CQB. They also help with making the balance in a future insurgency mode less symmetrical, with one team having the better equipment and the other having the environment.[/quote']Couldnt agree more.. the more you create a thinking mans game with short bursts of very intense action.. the more fun it becomes

I know I talk about that game a lot, but SWAT 4 had intense co-op play specifically because doors played such a major role in it. I think it's possible to translate this to a Multiplayer game if the defending team can take advantage of doors by not having to breach them. It could make close quarter combat so much more satisfying if there was an option for defenders to move more freely around a structure than the attackers simply by having a button they can press to open a door, while the attackers have to breach it with force.Additionally, this slows down gameplay when entering buildings, making individual squad-on-squad encounters in tight areas more drawn out which, in my opinion, is a good thing.Do the doors right, and they can be the deciding factor for CQB. They also help with making the balance in a future insurgency mode less symmetrical, with one team having the better equipment and the other having the environment.

Agree. Would add a huge amount tactics wise to have to deal with breaching doors. Would also encourage teamplay.