diamondpumpkin

Game freezes when hitting max VRAM

Posted (edited)

Computer Specifications:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 - 3.5GHz 8 Cores
Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 500GB 7200RPM
2nd Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 1TB 7200RPM

3rd Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 500GB 7200 RPM (IDE > SATA Connection)
Video card: EVGA GTX 1060 - 3G GDDR5 Memory
Power supply: EVGA - 500W
Mother board: MSI 970A-G43 - 32GB Max. RAM
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400
Internet Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 - 450Mbit/s transfer

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm running lowest settings possible in game.

Windows 7 SP1 64bit

NVIDIA Driver Version: 391.35 (Likely going to update)

I have recently started playing squad and can play fine for about 10 minutes. I pulled up system usage using a third-party (OpenHardware Monitor) program to view my hardware usage and it maxed out my GPU's 3GB of VRAM. Forcing me to close the game. My memory hit about 9GB before it maxed out my VRAM. I'm not the only one who has been getting this error either, my brother who has 8GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM, his crashes only difference is the game doesn't freeze, rather closes it self and says out of VRAM. Is there an estimated update or a fix I haven't found?

Edited by diamondpumpkin

Both of you and your brother need to turn off Preload texture option 

On 6/25/2018 at 12:24 AM, samwiseOrigin said:

Both of you and your brother need to turn off Preload texture option 

I've never turned that on and after some hours, it'll still freeze up for me.

47 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

I've never turned that on and after some hours, it'll still freeze up for me.

I need to know your specs 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

@YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Your CPU is under the minimum requirement 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A10-6800K-APU-vs-Intel-i5-2500K/1935vs804

This might be the reason why your game freezes up

5a98e508f09fa_SteamRequirement.thumb.JPG.a0f3ea74c137d01f0474d9cdc9d630ec.JPG

Weird since this was never a problem before v11 and can run other games that require even higher "minimum requirements" without any freezing issues.

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, samwiseOrigin said:

This might be the reason why your game freezes up

No... very likely that it's not. Games/Programs don't "freeze up" after a few hours because a CPU doesn't meet some arbitrarily set spec definitions on a web page... unless they have spectacularly bad programming that I can't even imagine. If it was a 2002 Celeron single core processor, you might be able to argue that the CPU/Memory is thrashing (to put it in a single term, I know that's not technically correct for what would happen with the CPU) and it appears that it freezes, but a 2013 quad core would be very unlikely to run into those problems.

If you say that the low-end CPU is the cause of tragically low FPS, that's understandable. 

If you say that it's Offworld's official position not to provide forum/email support for systems with CPUs that score less than 1800 points on this chart, that's understandable. 

If you stand by your statement above, would you explain to me in technical terms how the CPU specs could possibly cause his game to freeze after hours of play without issue? I have previously been very wrong about things like how memory speed impacts CPU performance on single-thread bound processes, so I'm happy to learn if there was some technical reasoning behind what you said. But just asking for specs then blaming those for any and all problems because they don't meet the random CPU picked by the OWI devs and written on the Steam page seems disingenuous to me. 

Edit: This post is not written in isolation of this thread. I have noticed similar things being displayed on the forums for the better part of a year now and this specific instance was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. 

Edit 2: And I get that you and the other moderators are doing a great service to the community by volunteering and taking time out of your day to attempt to help people with their various issues. I highly appreciate it and I don't have the mental fortitude nor patience to do it myself. But in cases like this, I honestly believe that saying nothing at all would be more productive than randomly pointing to a CPU and saying "that might be the problem" because it kind of shuts down the conversation with a pseudo-conclusion from someone with a special forum tag. That's the only reason I jump on these kinds of things, because to me it's like someone saying:

A: Hey there's smoke coming out of the bonnet of my car!

B: It's probably your tires' fault, they look pretty old! 

Edited by Psyrus

On 23/06/2018 at 9:37 PM, diamondpumpkin said:

Computer Specifications:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 - 3.5GHz 8 Cores
Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 500GB 7200RPM
2nd Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 1TB 7200RPM

3rd Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 500GB 7200 RPM (IDE > SATA Connection)
Video card: EVGA GTX 1060 - 3G GDDR5 Memory
Power supply: EVGA - 500W
Mother board: MSI 970A-G43 - 32GB Max. RAM
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400
Internet Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 - 450Mbit/s transfer

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm running lowest settings possible in game.

Windows 7 SP1 64bit

NVIDIA Driver Version: 391.35 (Likely going to update)

I have recently started playing squad and can play fine for about 10 minutes. I pulled up system usage using a third-party (OpenHardware Monitor) program to view my hardware usage and it maxed out my GPU's 3GB of VRAM. Forcing me to close the game. My memory hit about 9GB before it maxed out my VRAM. I'm not the only one who has been getting this error either, my brother who has 8GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM, his crashes only difference is the game doesn't freeze, rather closes it self and says out of VRAM. Is there an estimated update or a fix I haven't found?

My daughters pc has a i5 6600k and 1060 6gb and runs Squad fine with no problems! Your problem is that useless AMD CPU and had one in 2015 and it was totally useless! It’s not really ment for gaming it’s more for light web browsing