YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

The Free Weekend Will Only Attract new Players if you, Experienced Players, Create Squads

To get the best first impression of what kind of game this is, you experienced SL's and even players with higher experience in general must be leaders for these ducklings. If they are left with other free weekend beginners making squads and not communicating, they will think of this as little more than Battlefield with more restrictions.

Actually....without those things you mentioned...its way worse than battlefield. 

I agree.

I will make Noob Filter squads but expect other squads to play ball and help by playing the slow game rather than rushing off to the middle flag then complaining when the noob squad fails to cap the back flags....bad shit is going to happen, if we are prepared we will have a much better chance of success.

I wrote many times that a vree weekend or big discount deals are no good for the game or the community.

Most of us are cool people always willing to help and talk with a new guy and the community is great i would say.You always have bad examples of some haters or trolls but all in all i would say the community is not toxic.

But (there is always a but) with free weekends and big discounts you will not gain much naither money nor long term players that will get thear friends in game as well.But you will make more XP players just not play the game when the free weekend is on the free weekend guys will come to play CoD or BF thinking this game is just a simple arcade type of shooter withought a mic withought the team play just wanting to spray with AR use the IFW getting tandemed and dying and crying how the game is bad and posting a bad comments about the game,how its to slow too stpid,community is toxic,its a walking simulator and so on.You get the picture.

I will maybe be on for the free weekend and maybe even be a SL but when new players dot listen or want to listen and start trolling i will kick them and then thy out of revolt come and shoot me then half of my squad shoots him and this can go a long time i happened a bunch of times.

So dont hate me if i an XP player with more then 1,100 hours dont play on a free weekend. 

@everyone please also constantly remind people about left click right click with the shovel....losing 500 build points to a right clicker is traumatic for everyone.

Free weekend = influx of newbies = fresh pray for experienced teams/clans = bad experience = Back to square one. 

Posted (edited)

Free weekends are really painful for normal players. I found it soo annoying that i actually went through the trouble of writing an entire beginner guide, hoping people would read it to avoid those annoying mistakes like spawning in without being told so, not knowing how rallies and logistics work etc.

Edited by oTec

The main problem I see is that there flat out aren't enough experienced players in game on free weekends, so instead of a couple of new players on a squad where they can learn from others, you only have a handful of experienced players per team. Which leads to not only bad experiences, but people not even getting a fair evaluation of what the game can and should be like. Just a bunch of randoms running around for a few hours doing whatever they want and figuring it out (or not) as they go. 

I'm unsure free weekends don't do more harm than good tbh. Sales are slightly better. 

As a full time SL with 800+ hrs, I did my duty and lead the n00bies. 

Last night was hard work. Not fun,  lots of 2 men squads, not in a good way .  

9 man squads will drain you instantly, id settle for 5 or 6 man. I could have super rookies with me then without issue.

Posted (edited)

I got burned out pretty quickly this weekend. SL chat was crazy toxic today, people were yelling at each other in local. A lot of the freebies didn't even have mics. Closest game was around a 200 ticket difference, most were 350 to 450. It was rough.

Edited by Sparcany

I have supported the game from inception, but only started toplay this year due to life. I am now playing almost daily and love the game. way better than any other be it Arma or BF or insurgency. Its  a temperament  thing i guess. Yesterday i encountered a couple of toxic guys, just on par with childish and boorish. But by and large the SL guided and gamers educated as much they could with patience and fun. Might have been draining, But man the freebee guys left when the game slowed down and the action was , just about  moving repositioning, small firefight  hard team work etc.... They'll try  the game but if they are arcade FPS lovers they wont stay.

Some new players were amazing and took to it like a duck to water. They were asking for help in understanding the game and receiving it. All in all its OK  Free week end will yield some very good recruits .

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 2:21 PM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

To get the best first impression of what kind of game this is, you experienced SL's and even players with higher experience in general must be leaders for these ducklings. If they are left with other free weekend beginners making squads and not communicating, they will think of this as little more than Battlefield with more restrictions.

but then nobody plays because the game isnt fun during free weekend, its true and I imagine this will become true once free weekend ends and we have players returning and have the people who bought the game

Edited by OVKHuman

Posted (edited)

Played some hours yesterday, 3 games as squad lead. Had some new players in my squad whom stated it as soon as they entered the squad so me and my mates learned them up a bit. Just kept reinviting the same new guys into my squad after i got my clan mates in.

They learned and acted as best as they could. But for the 2 "good attitude" new guys i played with, i must have kicked 6 or more out of my squad over those 3 games due to no mic/not staying near squad/taking the wrong kit and refuse to switch/spawning in on main and spamming vehicle approval etc.

Both of the new players whom i played with did not purchase the game yet on sunday night, so these are the guys we could lose if we don't have a free weekend. (I don't know if they bought it after though :/)

Edited by oTec

same here... played Sunday night as SL for 3 or 4 hours. I only had to do one kick. Most of the new players did well... although i couldn't play more over weekend, overall experience was much better then last free weekend.

Finished sl ing on Sunday and thought the noobs were really good, a bit like herding cats at times but overall enjoyed it.. the biggest problem as per usual was new Sls and lack of communication, but have to live with that and do what you can.   Hope the guys in my squads enjoyed themselves and I wasnt to much of a ****!  I did kick a few for having no mic and not communicating or going off rogue but overall was good.

Overall it was a pretty good weekend. Only had one accident: There was a friendly BTR nearby, i was defending a cap with an MTLB, shot a few enemy soldiers and was really focused on finding more. Suddenly my squadmates started yelling about a Stryker coming right at me from the front no nametags, smoke prevented me from seeing what it was, so i empied an entire mag on it in panic lol. Turned out to be that friendly BTR.... Partially my fault for not listening to the sounds carefully enough but still lol... Other than that, pretty good weekend!

I and the guys I played with talked about the free weekend last night.

General feeling was that it was far less traumatic than previous weekends. We put this down to the game design and rules now in place. Crewman kit being  a big block to asset waste.

When a group of us 9-15 people) are playing we tend to dominate in pub game mainly through aggressive pushing and knowing we can rely on enough time to either cap the next flag or fall back in time in case this fails.

For the free weekend we stopped pushing. We chose the middle flag and held it. We let the new squads push but held the important points ourselves and sat back to defend. The result was some very long games (with disappointingly close tickets considering our easy area/flag domination, should be some bleed...) but these were enjoyable for both teams and there were very few disconnects between rounds.

Later each night we changed back to the standard tactics of pound them back into their main. This consistently killed servers after 2 rounds.

hello there,

I played for the first time before buying it. I play PR so I already know some stuff and I watched some videos as well + read the manual.

I really enjoyed it, but the coordination to me did not seem that good. Is it only because of free weekend or how is it generally? Also I found the combat to be really fast paced with rally points being able to be placed anywhere and almost anytime. I love PR due to the fact it's slower paced so this is the only thing that disappointed me a little bit, sometimes I felt like I am playing BF or CoD, but again it might be because of the free weekend so I am looking for responses as how it is outside of free weekends.

Also any tips for me never seeing enemy that killed me? I know I need to play more, but seriously the first hour or so I did not see anyone at all, I always got killed and never knew where from, it got a bit better after but still, people around me were  shooting at something and I did not see anyone, am I just a noob or what is going on?

42 minutes ago, -kloti- said:

I really enjoyed it, but the coordination to me did not seem that good. Is it only because of free weekend or how is it generally? Also I found the combat to be really fast paced with rally points being able to be placed anywhere and almost anytime. I love PR due to the fact it's slower paced so this is the only thing that disappointed me a little bit, sometimes I felt like I am playing BF or CoD, but again it might be because of the free weekend so I am looking for responses as how it is outside of free weekends.

Squad is indeed much faster than PR in it's current state, this is not exclusive to free weekends. This might change further down the way during the developement, but right now it is what it is. The same goes for (un-)willingness to coordinate with other players, but that can be remedied if you're willing to delve into the clan scene and find yourself some proper teammates. Playing Squad alone in public server and playing Squad with clanmates you know and trust are pretty much two different games entirely. Also some servers enforce cooperation more than the others, it's up to you to find out which ones best suit your style of playing. Once you find a server that suits you, hang around, get to know some of the regular players and you'll have a better experience even without having to join a clan.

42 minutes ago, -kloti- said:

Also any tips for me never seeing enemy that killed me? I know I need to play more, but seriously the first hour or so I did not see anyone at all, I always got killed and never knew where from, it got a bit better after but still, people around me were  shooting at something and I did not see anyone, am I just a noob or what is going on?

Being able to predict where the enemies are coming from comes with experience, there is no workaround there. Some players seem to think that lowering your graphics settings helps with spotting enemies, and it might on some maps and some cases, but I can tell you from experience that it's not universally true and many times having lower settings actually works to your disadvantage. Once you play more you'll realise that people generally tend to go to the same exact spots all the time and once you get to that stage it's really easy to anticipate them. Since you say you've played PR I'd wager you've already experienced the same there as a new player.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, -kloti- said:

hello there,

I played for the first time before buying it. I play PR so I already know some stuff and I watched some videos as well + read the manual.

they are trying to slow it down but its still a bit frenetic at times but this comes from trying to please two different types of gamers vs concentrating on what you want to be...

as for seeing enemy .. experience really and always expect someone to be watching you, also others should be calling out their targets with compass direction that will give you an idea where they are.  After firing 360 look around as there is normally someone sneaking up.  As others have said think about where the opposition may be coming from if you were on the other team 

Edited by embecmom

yeah I guess it comes with experience, but for some reason I never become a very good player in any game, I can be average to above average but I wish I could be better, I really envy the people who can react so fast, it's very hard for me to orientate myself, I have to check the map every few seconds and still not sure sometimes who is friendly and who is foe.

So which server would you guys suggest for best teamplay?

As for clans, I would love to experience something like that but I think those are professional players that have their schedule for playing and I don't think I can commit to that. I would love to find some casual players to play with, I posted in the New Players section as well to look for people, hopefully I find someone but I am very shy, I do not talk much when in squad, although I follow orders of course but I don't speak a lot, I need to know people before I feel comfortable and sometimes SL can be quite nasty to new people

Hey all,

Just wanted to offer some thank yous for going out of your way to make sure so many people had a good weekend. We know it can be crazy out there, especially for squad leaders, but it's really a testament to how awesome you guys are that so many people come away praising their first leaders.

If this was your first weekend, thanks for sticking around, learning the ropes, and using your microphones. Squad has a learning curve and you should be proud for taking it on and learning so quickly! For a game where many players spend thousands of hours learning everything, being a solid squaddie so quickly is remarkable. =)

So, cheers to everyone who went above and beyond this weekend. We love ya!