Baker1x

[Suggestion] Dynamic Weather

I believe by adding dynamic weather scenarios(rain, snow, ice, hail) and the desired effects(driving, lighting, sound) you would take the game's realism up 10000000%

6 hours ago, Baker1x said:

I believe by adding dynamic weather scenarios(rain, snow, ice, hail) and the desired effects(driving, lighting, sound) you would take the game's realism up 10000000%

In theory that sounds awesome however such things are performance killers.

Posted (edited)

It maybe possible that weather effects could be local to your computer, the network or server would just send out command to the client which weather and sky to project onto your map.  So, performance would be how good is your computer?

When you as a player can change something in the weather effects that has to be broadcast to other clients, then network performance gets a hit.

Edited by XRobinson
more info

10 hours ago, XRobinson said:

It maybe possible that weather effects could be local to your computer, the network or server would just send out command to the client which weather and sky to project onto your map.  So, performance would be how good is your computer?

+1 if possible hell yeah

would be awesome, we had it in a 2004 game, so i don't see why not, eventually.

It would be amazing yes for sure.

But i think it would cost us a lot us a lot in performance department.

While I don't know the complexities of a dynamic weather system, I know the mappers have been experimenting and tweaking weather effects on maps like Belaya. I suspect we'd ultimately love a full weather system, but that would absolutely be a post-launch thing, if it were possible. (And oh man,  can you imagine a squad rolling silently out of the fog and using thunder for cover?)

7 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

using thunder for cover

Confirmed Gatzby is an EA spy 

fog, rain are doable. Cloudy weather, doable. Falling Snow, doubt it (frames). Wind is doable. Whether the dev's think those are worth investing in is another matter. Pubg did it with the fog, wind and rain using the same engine...

1 hour ago, Minipops said:

fog, rain are doable. Cloudy weather, doable. Falling Snow, doubt it (frames). Wind is doable. Whether the dev's think those are worth investing in is another matter. Pubg did it with the fog, wind and rain using the same engine...

As pointed out by @Gatzby above, Squad has snow falling(Belaya) and the mappers are messing around and testing a few things.
2018-05-20_17_52_41-Squad_-_Unreal_Edito

Fog is on certain maps/layers - Sumari for example, to influence close quarter engagements, as well as the fog smartly hides the distant object culling.

Squad was looking into trueSKY a little while ago, and experimenting with it, which simulates dynamic real time weather and lighting - But unfortunately it had issues with UE4 and Squad, which needed addressing and fixing by the Devs of trueSKY before OWI will take another look at it.

Pubg is a different game, with different priorities set by the Devs. OWI ultimately has a lot more systems, mechanics and assets that they want in the base game of Squad before full release, and they base their priorities on that, what needs to be done. 

Posted (edited)

Yes absolutely. Im sure its safe to assume that when all the mechanical elements are in place and functioning correctly, that we can expect tweaking of the cosmetics down the road. We're all just super stoked about this game and impatient. We're like a junkie waiting for their dealer lol.

Edited by Minipops