Sign in to follow this  
wavefunction

Former PR dev's brilliant solution to Post Scriptum's gameplay/flow/spawn issues

It was posted in the /r/postscriptum subreddit but such a system could work in Squad as well, I think, because the layers are customizable and don't necessarily have to emphasize a WW2-style frontline in the same way. It's a long one, but it's well worth the read:

Squad must have less front line style WW2. They are different eras and modern war is fought with "smaller" units coordinated with each other. In Squad I love the possibility of attacking a flag from 3 different points with 3 different teams at the same time. Having only a front line to build Fob and Rally, you risk making the attack less tactical and less imaginative.

However, a good idea, although I believe I can be more effective and realistic in PS set in WW2

all good points and a well presented case but I think it will lead to the predictable and repetitive games he describes and wants to avoid.

I think the same can be achieved by requiring a minimum distance from a FOB to place a rally and a minimum distance from a FOB to place a new FOB. keeping a chain to the base or some other strategic point defined by the map designer.

The chain could require any or all of:

• a full connection to the main base
  • no main base connection but a minimum number of FOBs in the chain to allow placement of new FOBs (to allow for chains being broken a long way from the action).
  • a level of supplies within the chain before a new fob can be added.
  • a level of supplies to allow rally points to be placed with the extended FOB range.

29 minutes ago, suds said:

all good points and a well presented case but I think it will lead to the predictable and repetitive games he describes and wants to avoid.

I think the same can be achieved by requiring a minimum distance from a FOB to place a rally and a minimum distance from a FOB to place a new FOB. keeping a chain to the base or some other strategic point defined by the map designer.

The chain could require any or all of:

• a full connection to the main base
  • no main base connection but a minimum number of FOBs in the chain to allow placement of new FOBs (to allow for chains being broken a long way from the action).
  • a level of supplies within the chain before a new fob can be added.
  • a level of supplies to allow rally points to be placed with the extended FOB range.

I agree there should be some kind of mechanic simulation a supply line back to main. I dont like the idea of one player having to drive a logi back and forth. But something is needed.

I still you should be able to place rallies everywere. But they should disapeer eiter after 1-2 minutes or if SL leaves a 50 m radius. So they are used to rally squad and not a secondary spawn. 

I really hope the new teritory control gamemode makes it so that you can only place fobs in hexagons you control with a unbroken line back to main. If the line then later gets broken spawntime should increase on said FOB.

All i really want is main bases becoming much more important. In pr we would often spawn at main to grab a new transport truck with the squad and go at the enemy from new angles. This is the main thing i currently miss in Squad, that and transport squads.

Interesting...grand operations coming in bf5...lets you battle over days so to speak and you have objectives to take out first day and if you fail to take them out it makes it more difficult on second day and if taken out makes it easier, atleast that's what Im concieving from what I heard and seen about it so far.  So, there are objectives like flak guns, artillery, bunkers, assets that CAN'T get replaced...once they get taken out.  These are the kinds of objectives map designers should consider and locate on maps for teams to fight over, or let team commanders place on map at beginning of match. The terrain and roads should be considered for attacking team and defenders should set up barrier s based on terrain and defending assets.  Territory control is all good but what can you place in your territory that can be a defensive asset that the enemy can take out and you don't get it back?  And therefore weakens you and this is more like how war happens.  I think.

8 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

All i really want is main bases becoming much more important. In pr we would often spawn at main to grab a new transport truck with the squad and go at the enemy from new angles. This is the main thing i currently miss in Squad, that and transport squads.

I dont know what kind of servers you play on, but this happens in every match i join.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:21 PM, Sgt. Veld said:

I dont know what kind of servers you play on, but this happens in every match i join.

I don't see this in pub matches very often because vehicles are often just dumped across the map or flipped on a bush.

20 hours ago, Sparcany said:

I don't see this in pub matches very often because vehicles are often just dumped across the map or flipped on a bush.

Basically this. It's because there are no transport squads. Infantry squadleaders want all their players into the action (which is obvious) so there is no way for them to get the transport truck back to their main base for it to be used again. This atm is one of the larger issues that Squad has gameplay-wise.

I'm sure it will become somewhat better once helicopters are in (i don't see them dumping helicopters on random parts of the map).

Edited by Guan_Yu007

1 hour ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Basically this. It's because there are no transport squads. Infantry squadleaders want all their players into the action (which is obvious) so there is no way for them to get the transport truck back to their main base for it to be used again. This atm is one of the larger issues that Squad has gameplay-wise.

I'm sure it will become somewhat better once helicopters are in (i don't see them dumping helicopters on random parts of the map).

I think helicopters will be dumped all over the map if the pilot kit isn't approached properly. People  dump helis, jets, etc in BF and Arma all the time.

On 6/17/2018 at 12:48 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

One way to help incentivize returning tansports and logis to base is to give the driver a free spawn instead of a spawn penalty. 

Maybe the truck can drive itself back to base by using a NPC again just like an NPC doing tank loader position?

1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

TL;DR: Territory Control > AAS and it's variations in layers? 

Not quite. It would still be AAS except these "flags" have an area of dominance similar to territory controll. In this area on the map the team that holds it is able to build stuff.