Sign in to follow this  
Stocke

graphic settings are getting abused hard

Hello everyone,

So im very excited about the game and really enjoy the good work u guys doing and i really love the community and had so many great moments in squad.

Now its coming the big **BUT***

BUT there is this little thing called Antialiasing and shadows which troubles me around. I've played the first 90 hours in Squad with TXAA and every setting on epic/ultra and i was just ****ing horrible at the game. Now im playing without distance shadows and low shadows not using any AA and i can see every single enemy it doesn't even matter if he hide in brush/tree or whatever u can see EVERYTHING and i transformed into a killermachine.
So the point i got here is that this game is so less fun playing it that way but its effective and everyone wants to be effective but i also want to play a great looking game without having such a huge disadvantage.

So can u please fix this abuse somehow. I know its almost impossible but u can force the players to play the settings u want. I mean i can understand that u want to deliver the game to everyone but we live in 2k18 and everyone should be able to play this on proper settings.

Anyway u might want to take a closer look into it because it effect so many parts of the game. I am very concerned about that. All the tree's,brushes,cliffs everything is useless when u can spot that fast.

I hope i didnt make the "shitty hardware hate train" rolin on me :)

Yeah i thought that was possible it happened to me a couple of times getting shot tru smoke getting shoot in a thick bush while waiting for the enemy to pass me by so i could kill him but somehow he saw me and got me and so on many examples like that.

I dont like it its like game exploiting or what ever people would call it.No skill in that or fun to play like that.

But what can you do for some people the game would not work on higher graphics settings.

You play competitive games on lowest graphic settings/highest resolution.

Edited by Sekonder

so does that mean if they fix it and you then have an advantage over players that cant run the game efficiently that you are abusing them?

I know what you mean that you want to run every game on highest and it look fantastic but reality is that most players wont have that sort of kit so do you develop for the minority of GTX 1080s there and put a high base on it, or allows slower rigs to get involved at the expense of graphical niceness, fact is you are at no disadvantage atm because you can turn the graphics down.  Those with not so good rigs are running low already so where is the problem?

Edited by embecmom

8 hours ago, Sekonder said:

You play competitive games on lowest graphic settings/highest resolution.

Lowest of low ways to play any game, not just Squad.

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Lowest of low ways to play any game, not just Squad.

agreed.

i still believe they should be locking out no-shadows (lowest setting), in particular. - if you can only run the game at 'lowest settings' you shouldn't be playing, or upgrade.

I actually got erroneously banned once because of it. When I first got Squad I had potato PC to play on and the only way I could get anywhere near 60fps is by playing on lowest settings possible. What not everyone knows and I did not know that low settings also on many maps make layering grass and bushes and rocks either move or disappear. My situation happened on Kamdesh invasion map, where I as insurgent managed to crawl behind US forces and began plinking at them from the hill with impunity. I was clearly able to see them all because of low settings which made placeholder bushes and foliage disappear. Imagine my surprise when I was banned from the server with short message saying Aimbot. I subsequently contacted server admins and they did investigation. Obviously it was found out I wasn't aimbotting and was cleared but the fact that how drastically the game changes the server manager made YouTube video about it.

Edited by Caliell

On 13/06/2018 at 11:26 AM, Caliell said:

the only way I could get anywhere near 60fps is by playing on lowest settings possible

why do peeps have potatos and expect 60fps in anything, new or old?

i know you upgraded, thats fine but seriously, for those still insisting on using spuds to play the latest games, try dropping your fps expectations - yes, you can play games at <60fps.

my old box for Squad> i7-920, HD4870, 2Gb ram - i could still play above "minimum" (ie: shadows ON) but it did get framey a fair bit, which is why i upgraded to new hardware.

i'm sure everyone knows about the benefits of playing at lowest settings - remove the Lowest settings altogheter.

also EU4 seems to have a severe and unexpected drop from 'medium'(?) to "low" in the engine quality settings; above Lowest is fine and looks good, considering. Lowest (low) settings revert the engine to some kind of mid-90's look.

Edited by LaughingJack

28 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

why do peeps have potatos and expect 60fps in anything, new or old?

i know you upgraded, thats fine but seriously, for those still insisting on using spuds to play the latest games, try dropping your fps expectations - yes, you can play games at <60fps.

my old box for Squad> i7-920, HD4870, 2Gb ram - i could still play above "minimum" (ie: shadows ON) but it did get framey a fair bit, which is why i upgraded to new hardware.

i'm sure everyone knows about the benefits of playing at lowest settings.

also EU4 seems to have a severe and unexpected drop from 'medium'(?) to "low" in the engine quality settings; above Lowest is fine and looks good, considering. Lowest (low) settings revert the engine to some kind of mid-90's look.

Well maybe because some of us unfortunately cannot afford to have nice things, so we do with what we can. The only way I can think of how to make "graphics abuse" fixed is by optimizing and upping the game minimum requirements where they are on par of the lowest settings. But as again, business wise you are cutting off quite a few customers who could otherwise afford the game to play.

Edited by Caliell

this argument is like telling everyone that drives that they can only drive £50,000 cars with a minimum speed of 120 mph or your not allowed on the roads, whilst it would be nice to go that fast the reality is car sales would die. 

I never ever look at my FPS, its like comparing my bank balance to that of Bill Gates, I would always be disappointed so Im happy with what ive got.

FSX is god knows how many years old, it is CPU intensive and running it on high end GPU doesnt really help,  fact is that when they developed it  was a struggle, only now are CPUs really managing it.  There are little enough players and those willing to SL in squad without becoming a PC snob and making it a 'pc boys club'.   sorry PC boys/girls & gender neutral  (for the snowflakes)

Edited by embecmom

it's the people with high end systems set to low to gain advantage that is the issue here.

I think 2 things should change.

1. Read system specs and force minimums of some settings if the system is capable, eg if processor and gfx can handle shadows on medium, grey out anything lower. If playes find a way to trick the system you can also cap their frames and view distance based onthe information reported by their system.
    This is alpha, if people have problems with minimums they can report it in an appropriate format and adjustments can be made.
  2. Either bring up minimum requirements, removing the low settings which increase visibility.
    OR reduce view distance to compensate for poor systems.
    Sell in game advertising space to hardware providers. 

an example.

my system is i5 2500k overclocked to something easy with a 970gtx graphics card, decent ram and a SSD

I can maintain 50 fps in most cases with default medium settings. I kill off blur and glow type stuff because it gives me nothing, i turn off anti-aliasing because I like squares :P and know it is costly to the system. I know I am playing a game.

I have I7 3.4 ghz with gtx 1050 and 16 gb ram.. it still sucks but why would I want to run it on highest settings if the game runs like its on a flipchart...

2 hours ago, suds said:

it's the people with high end systems set to low to gain advantage that is the issue here.

I think 2 things should change.

1. Read system specs and force minimums of some settings if the system is capable, eg if processor and gfx can handle shadows on medium, grey out anything lower. If playes find a way to trick the system you can also cap their frames and view distance based onthe information reported by their system.
    This is alpha, if people have problems with minimums they can report it in an appropriate format and adjustments can be made.
  2. Either bring up minimum requirements, removing the low settings which increase visibility.
    OR reduce view distance to compensate for poor systems.
    Sell in game advertising space to hardware providers. 

Thats some good points there. Would love to see devs. taking care of this problem.

33 minutes ago, embecmom said:

yea lifes a bitch then u die ...

Ey don't worry yet, shit will get better in the future for Squad's optimisation, at least i've still got my hopes up for the beta stage.

The graphics settings and LODs for low setting users are not final, that will happen in polishing stage and will become a priority at some point. I'm not apart of the optimization team but maybe we can find some interim solutions that counteract the "extreme PC user" dropping settings to gain advantage.

My initial reaction to tying the low setting to also cap the view distance, is a good idea tbh... As it is a cheap and easy way to make the "extreme PC user" that artificially gains advantage by turning everything off, second guess his decision since he now cannot engage long distance targets

22 hours ago, Caliell said:

-snip-

my point was: don't have a potato and expect to run The Latest Engine/Game on it at even a barely satisfactory framerate.

and it's not about "nice things", it's about accepting that your gear is not properly up to the task and if you really cannot possibly play at less than 60fps then you have to upgrade.

17 hours ago, embecmom said:

this argument is like telling everyone that drives that they can only drive £50,000 cars with a minimum speed of 120 mph or your not allowed on the roads, whilst it would be nice to go that fast the reality is car sales would die

how about: telling everyone that they need pneumatic-tyred wheels, not those old-style wooden chariot wheels, on their cars, if they wish to travel at more than jogging pace.

14 hours ago, suds said:

this is more the point. and the reason i suggested locking out all "Low" settings (ie; Shadows cannot be turned Off - the only thing i ask for) - don't have them and peeps can't take advantage of it. Medium is the new Low.

5 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

how about: telling everyone that they need pneumatic-tyred wheels, not those old-style wooden chariot wheels, on their cars, if they wish to travel at more than jogging pace.

if I put a race horse on my chariot vs a donkey the wooden wheels will still be faster than the pneumatic tires...

16 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

The graphics settings and LODs for low setting users are not final, that will happen in polishing stage and will become a priority at some point. I'm not apart of the optimization team but maybe we can find some interim solutions that counteract the "extreme PC user" dropping settings to gain advantage.

My initial reaction to tying the low setting to also cap the view distance, is a good idea tbh... As it is a cheap and easy way to make the "extreme PC user" that artificially gains advantage by turning everything off, second guess his decision since he now cannot engage long distance targets

Well thats sounds a bit weird. You're turning things around like "extreme pc users that artificially gains advantage by turning everything off" is wrong.
Fact is that low hardware -> low settings player got the advantage not the other way around. I AM THE VICTIM HERE STOP MAKE ME THE MURDERER.
to make things clear "extrem pc user" want to play on extrem settings but why should they when they got the disadvantage?

Your idea is kind of very old and i experienced that in battlefield before. They did it this way and it went beyond worse for the low setting/low hardware player. i know that because i was one of them. Also an interim solution on this specific topic might make things worse. I would recommend some pizza and an hours of talking with the optimization team to find the best solution for your game.

Thanks for your reply and may the debug with you xD

5 hours ago, Stocke said:

They did it this way and it went beyond worse for the low setting/low hardware player. i know that because i was one of them. 

I also was a low hardware user in battlefield 2 for the first 6 months or so.. can you expand why it went "beyond worse" for the low end hardware user?

Anyways the team is aware of this problem and won't be making any rash decision on it, I'm just engaging in the topic here, I don't have the expertise when it comes to optimizing, but I can tell you alot of work is being done to help make the engine run more efficiently!

"Seeing" an opposing player or vehicle at a particular distance due to LOD's is one thing. Being able to get an actual projectile to contact them is another issue entirely as the blocking collision of the mesh that's in front of them but invisible from your viewpoint still exists. At the close to medium ranges where most engagements occur in Squad the differences of what a player sees regarding foliage and other objects from Low to Epic is negligible in my opinion.

On 14/06/2018 at 6:19 PM, embecmom said:

if I put a race horse on my chariot vs a donkey the wooden wheels will still be faster than the pneumatic tires...

heheh! :)