Jump to content
Stocke

graphic settings are getting abused hard

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Sure, you might be able to see someone under a tree at a short range with a high end computer switched to low settings however by the same token without view distance set to high you still can't see enemy at medium  to far distance either.

No because if you set view distance to very far and foliage to very low, then you render the player but not the foliage at medium to far distances. It's absolutely not exaggerated because it ruins the game for everyone else.

 

7 hours ago, Virtue said:

- Seeing as squad is no where near as optimized as it eventually will be ( seeing as the engine it's built on is still in development ) making a high processing demand on the consumer would result in a low player-base, which would in turn result in a dead game...

You are right that in increasing the specs required would decrease the player base. But it's possible to decrease visibility on the lower settings without increasing the required specs, it's called optimization. Arma 2 handles this much better than this game and it's 9 years older. The developers for Squad can for example make the rendered foliage much uglier, but they will render for longer distances and cover more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Makiriv said:

No because if you set view distance to very far and foliage to very low, then you render the player but not the foliage at medium to far distances. It's absolutely not exaggerated because it ruins the game for everyone else.

 

You are right that in increasing the specs required would decrease the player base. But it's possible to decrease visibility on the lower settings without increasing the required specs, it's called optimization. Arma 2 handles this much better than this game and it's 9 years older. The developers for Squad can for example make the rendered foliage much uglier, but they will render for longer distances and cover more.

Exactly. Devs should put some love on this issue so everyone is happy. Since @Zylfrax791 don't think it's a problem he won't mind, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very important that you feel that you can trust the concealment, ie hiding behind grass etc really camouflages you properly, because otherwise you get that plastic fake quality feeling of the game. Feeling things arent really real. Very unsatisfying. Because of this, this issue is very important to fix. And all other reasons of course. 

 

Ugly grass and really basic shadows aren't expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irony here is four pages later neither Stocke or anyone else has ever offered up any visual proof. I just think there's a lot of misconceptions about UE and how it works plus what it's limitations are so get you and a friend into an empty server and post some images and videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

The irony here is four pages later neither Stocke or anyone else has ever offered up any visual proof. I just think there's a lot of misconceptions about UE and how it works plus what it's limitations are so get you and a friend into an empty server and post some images and videos.

I play alone. Is too old to play video games honestly, and have infants to take care of when I am not at work that is. Getting together with a friend playing I don't have and start comparing stuff at different settings and taking screenshots takes a whole lot of time actually. The small amount of spare time in front of the pc I want to play or do some programming or stuff. Discussions here are always via my smartphone when out of reach from my dear pc. Before kids I'd done it sure. Someone else can probably do it. There seems to be a lot of people unhappy with the current situation.

What are the misconceptions btw? 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

What are the misconceptions btw? 

If people want to take the time to download vanilla UE4 or the Squad SDK you can see all the intricacies of Foliage LOD's of etc. and how any game developers need to balance performance vs. beauty then it would be easier to understand why these guys do what they do. Remember, Unreal Engine is an Arena engine. I don't recall the actual post on the Epic forums but the Epic developers have always maintained it's primarily an arena designed for a maximum of 64 players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been an on-going topic since shadows were changed in the early days. Squad used to have quite in-depth shadow options, where the lowest settings and shadow resolution options were still quite heavy, that shadows didn't really disappear at any distances - but the cost was performance. With Squad being alpha, and patches having the ability to change client performance, Shadows were changed to a lesser intenser style.

The devs know shadows and other options can be abused to give viewing advantages at distances, but from what I remember reading, it won't be revisited until Squad becomes more stable in terms of client performance, when Squad is near full release.

Squad recently had distant shadows as an option added, which is quite cheap in terms of performance hit, and makes shadows stay at distance, no matter the option setting for shadows. Maybe in future the option to have it on or off will be removed, and be forced on by default. Who know's, but it will be revisited sometime in the future. The devs do know about it, there's been threads on this for years and all the discussions/threads on this topic have the same back and forth arguments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is very simple to solve or at least move toward a solution through a simple test:

 

 

If you slide various settings lower on a scale your pc is assumed to be low end, your view distance gets capped the lower you go (as less to render will be a benefit to low end anyway) the guy with the capability to have high settings can use this capped setting if he wants accept the penalty...simple and completely fair.

Edited by suds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Major thread necro but figured it was worth bumping because this low settings advantage seems to still be quite a prevalent issue.

Through most of my squad play time I've been utilizing high to epic settings. While I would be convinced I was hiding in adequate concealment, enemy players were seeing me as though I had a giant neon sign hovering over me. I was concerned there was some level of cheating going on, but since cheating tends to be fairly rare and the likelihood of someone cheating at this game due to it's premise seems foolish I decided to do some investigating.

That landed me among topics like this, and one suggestion was maxing out my gamma and setting everything else to low. Holy cow what a discernible difference it made. For the last two weeks I've been playing with these settings and have been able to see people that I can tell I would not have been able to while gaming with high settings. While I used to think I was crouching in a bush with moderate concealment, some other players were seeing some idiot crouching or laying prone in the open.

If you think people with a maxed out rig have some sort of advantage on maximum settings, you're sorely mistaken. I simply ask you give the low settings and max gamma a trial and you will notice a significant difference in being able to spot and engage enemies throughout the game. I've been reluctant to restore my settings to high because after even a short bit of game play last night, I noticed how ironically handicapped I was.

Personally I'm not extraordinarily savvy in the whole video game programming world to know what a viable solution would be to address this sort of issue, but it does remain a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're already removed the foilage setting from the options menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have found there are three cheating settings:

- ambient occlusion

- shadows

- effects

Reducing or switch off them makes game more contrast. It is a pity - reduce quality or die.

 

P. S. Any antialiasing setting blurs the picture. Switch off to get advantage. But I get headache if switch off TAA, too many shaking in picture.

Edited by Ruplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In both a13 & a14 I personally can't detect any discernible difference between textures set to low or epic with the exception of the character models, weapons and vehicles up close within 10-20 meters. Anywhere past that and you see the LOD's anyway.

 

That said, for the most part the textures on the landscape, buildings and foliage now all look low quality regardless of checking the "fully load textures" box, changing to epic and restarting the game.

 

Regarding the foliage the grass winks out around 100 meters, the bushes & trees billboard at around 200 meters and anything past that distance I only see 2D billboard trees that look like tree shaped blobs so yeah thinking you're hiding in a bush is just silly.

 

Honestly, Squad was a much better looking game v9 and below however it seems logical that the textures were nerfed and foliage LOD's were pushed in for overall performance reasons.

 

Regardless of whatever graphics settings you choose its my opinion that having a larger monitor and FOV zoomed in is going to absolutely give you the biggest advantage.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graphic settings requirements restrictions (as Tournament mode) should be extended to have different levels, servers owners should be able to select such restrictions for their public servers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2019 at 3:22 PM, MeAWarChild said:

Major thread necro but figured it was worth bumping because this low settings advantage seems to still be quite a prevalent issue.

Through most of my squad play time I've been utilizing high to epic settings. While I would be convinced I was hiding in adequate concealment, enemy players were seeing me as though I had a giant neon sign hovering over me. I was concerned there was some level of cheating going on, but since cheating tends to be fairly rare and the likelihood of someone cheating at this game due to it's premise seems foolish I decided to do some investigating.

That landed me among topics like this, and one suggestion was maxing out my gamma and setting everything else to low. Holy cow what a discernible difference it made. For the last two weeks I've been playing with these settings and have been able to see people that I can tell I would not have been able to while gaming with high settings. While I used to think I was crouching in a bush with moderate concealment, some other players were seeing some idiot crouching or laying prone in the open.

If you think people with a maxed out rig have some sort of advantage on maximum settings, you're sorely mistaken. I simply ask you give the low settings and max gamma a trial and you will notice a significant difference in being able to spot and engage enemies throughout the game. I've been reluctant to restore my settings to high because after even a short bit of game play last night, I noticed how ironically handicapped I was.

Personally I'm not extraordinarily savvy in the whole video game programming world to know what a viable solution would be to address this sort of issue, but it does remain a problem. 

This guy nailed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well i am sure a lot of us here would like to know whats being done about this problem?

I will say this is the biggest problem in game now.And it seems its spreading rapidly.

Developers maybe we can get some info about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bahrein said:

 

Well i am sure a lot of us here would like to know whats being done about this problem?

I will say this is the biggest problem in game now.And it seems its spreading rapidly.

Developers maybe we can get some info about that?

 

I just switched from low to high since i have a new gpu and have not noticed much difference.

 

Btw, the biggest problem?

 

- Shoddy hit detection

- Vehicles still flip over small obstacles

- Ragdolls are still twitching and now even possessed flying in the air

- Still managing to fall through the map

 

...

Edited by oTec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oTec said:

 

I just switched from low to high since i have a new gpu and have not noticed much difference.

 

Honestly since the switch to UE4.21 from what I can tell a bunch of the landscape, buildings and foliage textures in the game got heavily reduced in quality almost to the point of being stylized. Obviously for performance reasons.

 

Personally I'm not complaining at all and it wouldn't bother me one bit if all the textures in the entire game were switched to over to stylized if it resulted in a performance increase. However, it seems a bit disingenuous to have low, medium, high and epic settings in the game when you can clearly look at a tree or the landscape in low, switch to epic and see zero difference in the texture.

 

Btw, thats looking at the same thing with NVIDIA GTX 960, 965M, 970, 1080ti & 2080 video cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a suspicion that the higher detail levels are mostly visible in short range. This is probably the reason i can play fine with a nVidia 750 1GB which is below specs. I have texture preload disabled, so the game loads textures whenever my PC can spare the resources. The opposite also happens, it automatically downgrades the detail when too many things are happening on the screen (if it can't fit everything in the card's VRAM, it switches to a lower detail texture).

 

Well, apart from a few times where i might see a couple of trees at the lowest detail level (the "cardboard cut-out" version that is used for long range) in medium range, it is no big deal at all for anything 100-200 meters away from me. The only thing where i can easily spot a downgrade to lower detail is effects (mainly smoke and explosions) and the detail on camo patterns on my character and any other players close to me. If there is not too much processing load i get the full detail version with the stitches on the gloves and the detailed camo patterns, if there is a lot happening it just automatically turns to a blended/blurred version of the camouflage that is used to render people further away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burningbeard80 said:

I have a suspicion that the higher detail levels are mostly visible in short range. This is probably the reason i can play fine with a nVidia 750 1GB which is below specs. I have texture preload disabled, so the game loads textures whenever my PC can spare the resources. The opposite also happens, it automatically downgrades the detail when too many things are happening on the screen (if it can't fit everything in the card's VRAM, it switches to a lower detail texture).

 

Well, apart from a few times where i might see a couple of trees at the lowest detail level (the "cardboard cut-out" version that is used for long range) in medium range, it is no big deal at all for anything 100-200 meters away from me. The only thing where i can easily spot a downgrade to lower detail is effects (mainly smoke and explosions) and the detail on camo patterns on my character and any other players close to me. If there is not too much processing load i get the full detail version with the stitches on the gloves and the detailed camo patterns, if there is a lot happening it just automatically turns to a blended/blurred version of the camouflage that is used to render people further away.

The vehicle and character models in Squad look incredible especially on epic settings. I wasn't talking about those textures though only the environment itself.

 

Back to ancient point started by the OP regardless of graphics settings nothing gives you more of an advantage than a larger hd monitor in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, maybe the reason i haven't seen a difference is because despite my low-end GPU i have shadows enabled. Maybe it's smoothing things out somewhat, by "hiding" things from being rendered.

 

The larger monitor definitely makes sense though. If you have a large monitor, you can increase the field of view a bit without losing too much in terms of zoom, since everything looks bigger to begin with. You get a better peripheral vision without making everything look too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Burningbeard80 said:

Hmm, maybe the reason i haven't seen a difference is because despite my low-end GPU i have shadows enabled. Maybe it's smoothing things out somewhat, by "hiding" things from being rendered.

 

The larger monitor definitely makes sense though. If you have a large monitor, you can increase the field of view a bit without losing too much in terms of zoom, since everything looks bigger to begin with. You get a better peripheral vision without making everything look too small.

So now we should try to do a "Trump" and force tax returns out of people, so we can see who is rich and can afford an big ass monitor? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really. I play on a 21 inch 1680x1050 monitor myself that i've had for over a decade (i'd have to drastically change my desk setup to get a bigger one). I also play regularly on servers where i have a ping up to 200 msec or so.

 

Sure, i often play at a disadvantage, but the good thing about this game and PR before it is that you can work around your setup's limitations with some teamwork and a good squad, and you can still be useful. Then when you do upgrade your system things are suddenly a lot easier for you, because you're used to playing at a disadvantage. I think a lot of gamers in general focus too much on maximizing performance in every possible way and in the process forget to actually play the game and have fun.

 

Sure, some people will be seeing better graphics than me or spot me from further away, but as long as it's not an insurmountable handicap, such as massive stuttering, i'm fine with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shadows off is still like playing on easy mode.

shadows on gives you a very false impression of what others can see.

 

the only engagement winning benefit I can gather from shadows is the cqb warning from a shadow appearing before a person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×