Comm@ndo

Advice of settings for new rig

Hey all, new to the game and not sure what settings have a big impact. Can I please have some guidance or recommended settings;

1920 x 1080

NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
Intel Hexa Core i7-8700 
16GB DDR4 2400MHZ (1 x 16GB)
MX500 500GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD

Thanks in advance

The biggest killer of fps in Squad is shadows and resolution scaling. I would go for medium shadows and no more than 1.25 scaling. Turn off motion blur etc. Those will just pull down your overall fps. The best thing to do is go on Jensens (shooting) Range. Spawn up the hill overlooking the main area and mess with your settings to find your best quality/performance compromise. Be aware that the real game maps have different levels of optimisation (and vegetation) and will give more, but usually less, fps.

Just a little observation of your PC specs but I notice you have a single stick of ram. With that you're not taking advantage of dual channel capabilities of your motherboard for high ram throughput. Not sure I would choose the i7-8700 over the overclockable i5-8600k if it is a PC mainly for gaming. Did you miss the k off the 8700 or did you get it for core count and price?

It's a notebook so only had a number of choices for CPU, i7-8700 was probably the best choice. Looking to even add another 16gb stick in future so kept it to one 16gn stick.

Made the aforementioned changes, massive difference - now 60 to 80 fps.

5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

It's a notebook so only had a number of choices for CPU, i7-8700 was probably the best choice. Looking to even add another 16gb stick in future so kept it to one 16gn stick.

Made the aforementioned changes, massive difference - now 60 to 80 fps.

Glad to hear. You had me believing your PC was a desktop with those parts.