Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Elvin

No optics/periscope on non-russian APC/IFV

Recommended Posts

With the release of Warrior for the British and Bradley for the US I have been missing a vital piece of equipment and that is the commander's/driver's periscope. As if the driver's role wasn't already "boring" enough. I still enjoy it but let's be real here, sitting in a steel box with a restricted vision for the duration of the whole match is not the most pleasurable gaming experience. As a driver, I can't see anything nor I can do anything when we stop and wait in an ambush position or just covering infantry's advancement. Sometimes I am forced to go out of the vehicle and use my SL binoculars to help my gunner cover the side and increase our spotting capabilities.

 

Is the addition of periscopes/any vision improvement for the mentioned vehicles (+ Stryker) something the devs are working on? I know that in Alpha 10 the Russian BTR-80 and BTR-82A received periscopes as the F3 seat. Is something similar planned for the BLUFOR counterparts?

A10 excerpt: 

  • BTR-80 and 82A variants now have a "Commander Periscope" (and thus an extra seat) like the BRDM-2 has. The goal is to one day roll this into the driver position, however for now there is an extra asset for the vehicle.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory the reason that the Bradley and Warrior don't have a commander is because there's an issue with stacking turrets on turrets that needs to be resolved with a slight system rewrite.

 

The vehicle system has a few issues like this. For example, you cannot zero the sights on a 50. cal because of the system limitations. Hopefully we'll see these things fixed in the near future as MBTs are released but that's just a hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, good to know that further improvements are planned for the future and the current status of BLUFOR vehicles is not the final version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stom has the right of it. We do, indeed, plan to have a Commander for vehicles. From chatting with the designers, the goal is to have armored vehicles be doable with two, but much more efficient with three, and eyes on through the periscope would be part of that. Some sort of indicator for the gunner to work with the Commander's view is being considered as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2018 at 7:54 PM, Gatzby said:

Stom has the right of it. We do, indeed, plan to have a Commander for vehicles. From chatting with the designers, the goal is to have armored vehicles be doable with two, but much more efficient with three, and eyes on through the periscope would be part of that. Some sort of indicator for the gunner to work with the Commander's view is being considered as well.

Please make to commander and driver the same slot 9_9 , i think that 2 people for a tank being at its full effectiveness is more than enough , especially that we don't even have 50v50 servers yet .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, L0cation said:

Please make to commander and driver the same slot 9_9 , i think that 2 people for a tank being at its full effectiveness is more than enough , especially that we don't even have 50v50 servers yet .

How do you think 2 people looking out of the vehicle is more then enough and better then having 3 in side.

Its simple as this driver drives and looks at the front with a little to the side,gunner looks at the sides and the commander could keep an eye on the back of the vehicle,now thats full effectiveness of a vhiecle crew.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bahrein said:

How do you think 2 people looking out of the vehicle is more then enough and better then having 3 in side.

Its simple as this driver drives and looks at the front with a little to the side,gunner looks at the sides and the commander could keep an eye on the back of the vehicle,now thats full effectiveness of a vhiecle crew.  

Maybe if they will nail 50v50 they should give it a shot ... Currently with 40v40 every player "matters" , but even with 50v50 , this isn't a milsim ... People are looking to do more , so making the driver role more fun like that would be awsome in my opinion ( its still not a "one man tank" like in battlefield ) , there were some people that even suggested a "loader" slot for tanks as an option for faster loading .... This sound cool in concept but i think that 2 man tanks are a better altenative. 

Maybe there could be a comnander option ... But if no one is in the slot the controls would be passed to the driver , in this way in a tank squad , one tank will contain the squad leader using the commander slot .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I like the suggested "doable with 2, but more efficient with 3". Otherwise, the future huge asset maps might turn into vehicle warfare with almost no infantry.

Plus I like this as a 3player group where playing Squad with 2 other mates is always too big for 1 vehicle and too small for an INF squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×