marxman

Changing Stances and how to implement it

What does everyone think about multiple stances? I would really like to get some good discussion going about this. Is it necessary?  Does anyone feel that standing-crouched-prone is better because of the simplicity?

Personally, I would love to see an array of dynamic stances your soldier can take depending on the ease of use. My main issue with the way games have handled it thusfar is it's been extremely counterintuitive to actually use in a firefight. You end up fiddling with controls half the time instead of just moving or leaning like a normal person and shooting. If it didn't overcomplicate things, I think ambushes and firefights could have a whole 'nother dimension to them. Not just looking for the spots people could be crouched, prone, or standing, but looking for small avenues of fire that would have been impossible to accurately shoot through before and so on.

Thoughts?

Because it was buried amongst other unrelated discussion, I'll repost what I posted in the prone thread. It has an example of the kind of stance changing Im talking about.

As I play a lot of ARMA, I've been thinking quite a bit about stances. Arma 3 handles the different stances terribly with how clunky they are to use, but if they were made intuitive I feel squad could really benefit from a lot of different positionings. There are a multitude of ways you can move and rotate your body to lean around objects, and while I've never been in combat I'd imagine you have to pull out every trick in the book sometimes, not just crouching behind walls and shooting.

This video from ARMA 3 shows exactly what I am mentioning, and while I AM NOT IN ANY WAY asking for Squad to do exactly what arma did, it could give them some good ideas.

Edxit: This applies to prone, but not exlcusively.

edit: boy my spelling sucks

Freedom of movement enabling better use of terrain is very high on my wishlist.

I'd like mousewheel for raising and lowering within a stance.

I'd like to lean over ledges and look down or up.

I think the reason why we normally see these tree stances in pretty discrete manner is because our input devoces are discrete (keyboard) and mouse is already needed for aiming and looking both devices are also really old tech like 40+ years in age. If more analogue PC game controllers ie. those "data gloves" that were hyped in late 90's would be in every PC table we would see much more groundbraking ways of interact with gameworlds. It is all about the crappy input devices and mainly the standard discrete (on/off) keyboard.

It the gaming keyboards would even have pressure or position sense of keypress we would not speak on this topic. Is there one? if not send me 3% of profit. ;)

I have always thought that a keyboard with pressure sensing WASD keys would be great, especially for any games that involve driving something. It's either full throttle or no throttle on a keyboard.

I don't know, but I really like the ArmA stances. There are so many different heighs on obstacles, and I quite often find myself using the high or low stances to shoot over, or cover behind an object.

I would really much like having the possibility to do this in Squad as well.