GoodGamer3000

How Does Squad Do on Ryzen 5 2600X?

Posted (edited)

My current build is a FX-8370, GTX 980Ti, and 16 GB of RAM. I have FPS and freezing issues, and I'm pretty sure it's the CPU.

Does anyone have this CPU, and if so, how does squad run? I've seen other people with problems on AMD processors, but does it apply to the Ryzen series, or just FX and older?

If I upgrade, these would be the new components:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB

Motherboard: ASRock X370 PRO4

I'm trying to stay within a budget of $450, but does anyone have suggestions for any of these?

Edited by GoodGamer3000

search the forum for Ryzen feedback - it's significantly better than FX range but it would seem Intel still does better for Squad.

Hi guys. I need a new computer for squad!

I seen a good offer:

CPU:Ryzen 5 2600x

Mainboard: B450 Tomahawk

GPU: Kfa2 Geforce Gtx 1080 Exoc

Ram: 16GB - 3200MhZ

Is this system any good for playing Squad with good graphics and good fps-frame-rate? 

I aint so sure about the CPU, would intel otherwise be better? Please give me some feedback :-)

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Kevkon87 said:

Hi guys. I need a new computer for squad!

I seen a good offer:

CPU:Ryzen 5 2600x

Mainboard: B450 Tomahawk

GPU: Kfa2 Geforce Gtx 1080 Exoc

Ram: 16GB - 3200MhZ

Is this system any good for playing Squad with good graphics and good fps-frame-rate? 

I aint so sure about the CPU, would intel otherwise be better? Please give me some feedback :-)

Hi, I bought the Ryzen 5 2600X, and have no problems in squad with it.

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

RAM :16 GB 2666 MHz

GPU: GTX 980 Ti

Squad on an SSD

I get 60-80 fps on high settings with an SSD. You have a better graphics card, so I bet you can get over 60 fps on ultra. You should be good, but get an SSD if you don't already have one.

Edit: oh, and the motherboard looks good too.

Edited by GoodGamer3000

Posted (edited)

are you playing on 1440p? if so then i recommend a gtx 1080ti and then using a ryzen 1700

I'm recommending a gtx 1080ti because Squad is a Vram heavy game right now and at 1440p it is unplayable with 8GB of Vram

also recommending the ryzen 1700 because more cores and better multicore speed by 14% and in the near future games are going to be more dependent on that stuff

also 1440p gaming makes the CPU performance difference much smaller

also recently faster RAM has gotten cheaper and i would say 3200mhz is pretty good but maybe if you can go higher if it's only a 10$ difference

P.S. most of the stuff is stored on Vram so using an SSD won't make a difference... just get a 2TB seagate 7200rpm 3.5 inch HDD

really good data/$ HDD at good speeds read and write are a little more than half the speed and the random writes are like 2 mb/s compared to an SSDs is 100x slower in that department (not joking)

Also don't try doing RAID 0 it's only like a 5-10% percent performance boost and you have to re-format the drives

it's more useful with people who have 5 or more HDDs

Edited by brofist4u
required perfection

• Squad will only fill your 8GB Vram if you enable Full Texture loading (prechacing of all availid Textures ) , switch it off and you are fine with a 8GB Card Vramwise.
  • certain maps indeed need a 1080Ti to run +60FPS with maxed out settings, but thats more a question of Raw power then VRAM
  • Since Squad is very sensitve to Singlecore Performance (IPC & Clock is what matters in this case ) and its Multithreading is  not good at all  ( early singelcore Bottleneck , mostly to highy utilzed Threads rest is rarly used ) choosing a R7 1700 over a R5 2600x would be a step backward.
  • Ryzen+ hase also a signifcant decrease in Memory&Cache latency ( around 70 vs 90 ns @ stock Ram, can go as low as ~60ns with a 3200 CL 14 setting --> comparable to intel cpus ) over Ryzen thats the main reason beside its higher clocks for the significant better gaming performace compared to first generation.