_randombullet

Why do scouts not have optics?

What kind of sick person though iron sights would work for a scout class? Please tell me there is something in the works. Not being able to mark the map as scout is also a problem.

1 hour ago, _randombullet said:

What kind of sick person though iron sights would work for a scout class? Please tell me there is something in the works. Not being able to mark the map as scout is also a problem.

Binos for scouts , scouts are used for scouting not sniping . 

Why would a scout get a scope? It has binos already as L0cation said.

The kit is interesting because you're less valuable at direct combat and more of a utility kit with the IEDs and mines. If it were equipped with a scope I feel like the interesting focus of the kit would be lost.

6 hours ago, _randombullet said:

Not being able to mark the map as scout is also a problem.

only person that should mark the map is SL with information relayed back on comms from the scout. Either way, scout class is more specialized in mine placement and IEDS as @Stom said. 

keyword: balance.

As others have mentioned, the Scout is a utility role with it's strength being close to medium range if need be, with it's main focus being sabotage by doing IED and mine attacks.

Also, the SKS being used is either the Simonov SKS or Type 56 SKS, some of the earliest variants of the SKS - Which doesn't really have the mounts readily available to mount optics, especially in the Middle East. Most would have been bought via Chinese links by Insurgents or captured during the 1979 - 1989 Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, like a lot of equipment used by Insurgencies.

As far as I know its not possible to mount a scope on an sks without having the receiver tapped by a gunsmith or getting bubba to throw it in a tapco stock.

57 minutes ago, Sparcany said:

As far as I know its not possible to mount a scope on an sks without having the receiver tapped by a gunsmith or getting bubba to throw it in a tapco stock.

There's quite a few options for SKS's to get optics on. Tri rails, receiver rails, scout mounts, anchor points etc etc

It's a lot easier with more modern variants of the SKS, as they're designed with modifications in mind - but there's some that work for the oldie SKS variants, it's more so an ease of access thing for these options...which is pretty much 0 for the Middle East lol

I'm always in favor of making a SL's life easier, if the Scout had the ability to make a simple mark on the map that only the SL could see, and it vanished in 15 seconds say, I'd support it. I'd even support it for all classes. Why? Because even though we can use map coords, not that many players are good at quickly calling them out, or understanding what they were just told, including SL's, so most people don't. And, I don't think people ever will, at least not the players who have been playing Squad for the last several years. Which leads to communications of either, "mark my pos" or "It's in the village to the NE of me". I'd say we present the option of "There's a "XYZ" on my mark SL" in addition to Coords, then the SL could quickly plop his mark on top of it instead of ignoring you until he has time to figure out where you're talking about. Make it server side configurable for the clan guys who have their sh!t together maybe. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LugNut said:

I'm always in favor of making a SL's life easier, if the Scout had the ability to make a simple mark on the map that only the SL could see, and it vanished in 15 seconds say, I'd support it. I'd even support it for all classes. Why? Because even though we can use map coords, not that many players are good at quickly calling them out, or understanding what they were just told, including SL's, so most people don't. And, I don't think people ever will, at least not the players who have been playing Squad for the last several years. Which leads to communications of either, "mark my pos" or "It's in the village to the NE of me". I'd say we present the option of "There's a "XYZ" on my mark SL" in addition to Coords, then the SL could quickly plop his mark on top of it instead of ignoring you until he has time to figure out where you're talking about. Make it server side configurable for the clan guys who have their sh!t together maybe. 

Exactly. Its a quality of life improvement for SL. As for the Scout, it should get a scoped version of the Sks or change the weapon to a pdw. It just seems like it was the last class designed and they got the shit end of the stick for a weapon. The IED, mines and the rest of the toolkit is amazing though. Maybe that is the balance coming into play. 

Edited by _randombullet

2 hours ago, _randombullet said:

Exactly. Its a quality of life improvement for SL. As for the Scout, it should get a scoped version of the Sks or change the weapon to a pdw. It just seems like it was the last class designed and they got the shit end of the stick for a weapon. The IED, mines and the rest of the toolkit is amazing though. Maybe that is the balance coming into play. 

I don't see an ability to mark for scouts as much of an improvement to SL quality of life. While it would make it faster for an SL to understand what a scout is referencing they still need to communicate that to other squads. Alternatively, the scout can just communicate to other squads without even talking to their own SL which I feel is a negative to the dynamic Squad is trying to achieve. There is also a slight danger that backseat SLs grab the kit and go off to do their own thing, but that's more of a hypothetical danger.

As for the weapon it really is a balance thing. The SKS is the shit end of the stick for weapons since it fires the same caliber as an AKM but lacks the capacity or versatility of that weapon. What this means is that players quickly learn they aren't as capable of gunfighting as other kits so either they stop using the kit or adapt to the other utilities.

13 hours ago, Dubs said:

There's quite a few options for SKS's to get optics on. Tri rails, receiver rails, scout mounts, anchor points etc etc

It's a lot easier with more modern variants of the SKS, as they're designed with modifications in mind - but there's some that work for the oldie SKS variants, it's more so an ease of access thing for these options...which is pretty much 0 for the Middle East lol

Don't those scopes all require some modification to the gun? Swapping the stock, gas tube, sight leaf etc?

4 hours ago, Sparcany said:

Don't those scopes all require some modification to the gun? Swapping the stock, gas tube, sight leaf etc?

Some do, not all. Basic scout mounts work with almost all SKS Variants. All it requires is removal of the rear sight and leaf spring, then you're good to go and install it. Then you have anchor point mounts(Have one on my Simonov) which requires a little field stripping and taking out one of the bolts, which the anchor point mount replaces as it's part of the actual mount - Takes a little time and a few tools to get it all set up.

There's a lot of options out there, technology has not only adapted with modern variants of firearms, but have adapted around older variants too, giving those classic weapons some customization options.