I'm sticking this thread here under the Ideas for Crowdfunding sub forum since there isn't a separate Community sub forum yet.

I'm basically reserving this thread for ideas and advice on creating a Squad map based off of Kobani, Syria.

The recent unrest has really brought this city to my attention and I think it would provide a great backdrop for an primarily urban map in Squad. I have zero experience with UE4 so this will be one big learning experience for myself. I hope to maintain the desire to make it and deliver a finished map to the community.

Some info on Kobani:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koban%C3%AE

Kobanî (Kurdish: ‎‎ كۆبانی  pronounced [koˈbaːniː], also rendered Kobanê  [koˈbaːne]), also known as Ayn al-Arab (Arabicعين العرب‎  North Levantine pronunciation: [ʕeːn elˈʕɑrɑb]), is a city in the Aleppo Governorate in northernSyria, lying immediately south of the border with Turkey. As a consequence of the Syrian Civil War, the city has been under control of the Kurdish YPG militia since 2012. In 2014, it was unofficially declared to be the administrative center of the Kobanî Canton of Rojava.

From September 2014 to January 2015 the city was under siege by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Most of the city was destroyed and most of the population fled to Turkey.[2] In 2015 many returned and reconstruction began.

Prior to the Syrian Civil War, Kobanî was recorded as having a population of close to 45,000.[3] The majority of inhabitants were Kurds, with ArabTurkmen, and Armenian minorities.[4]

June 2015 massacres[edit]

On 25 June 2015, fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant detonated three car bombs in Kobani, close to the Turkish border crossing and launched a surprise assault on the town. At least 220 Kurdish civilians were massacred in mass killings by ISIL fighters[36][37] in their homes or killed by the group's rockets or snipers and many more were injured by the attack on the town, making it one of the worst massacres carried out by ISIL in Syria. In another report Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and spokesman for the Kurdish People's Protection Units said that more than 200 Kurdish civilians were massacred. Women and children were among the bodies found inside houses and on the streets of Kobane. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that ISIL fired at everything that moved.[38][39][40][41][42][43][44] Islamic State also committed a massacre in the village of Barkh Butan, about 20 kilometers south of Kobane, executed at least 23 Syrian Kurds, among them women and children.[45] Kurdish forces and the Syrian government claimed the vehicles had entered the city from across the border, an action denied by Turkey.[46]

And some quick overhead shots from Google Maps.

It's a fairly decent size city.

Kobani_map_idea_200m_zpsg61cson2.jpg

Imagine trying to maneuver vehicles in and around the city.

Kobani_map_200m_2_zpsopqccclz.jpg

Imagine trying to clear these streets as an infantryman.

Kobani_map_100m_1_zpswdbws46j.jpg

This is very early in the planning stage obviously. If I was going to make for Project Reality, it would feature the Syrian Rebels and MEC kind of like Sbenah Outskirts. For Squad right now, I see it having the US Army (out of Turkey) fighting the current Insurgent force (they kinda look like Afghani Taliban right now) until more factions are introduced.

Anyways, that's all I've got for now. It should be a fun project.

Let's learn together brother!  I used to map a long time ago for Doom, Duke 3d, and Half-Life and then just fell off the wagon.  However, with Squad I seriously want to make a map.  When I get to Korea early next year I'll have all the time in the world with no wife and kids. :P

I think the first thing to tackle for me (unless someone that knows shit says it's stupid) is learning how to build an ideal terrain inside World Machine and then import that terrain into UE4.  Once I kind of grasp that and feel I have some good landscapes going.  I'll start working out how to build/lay proper roads/rivers/trails/etc.  

After all that, hopefully we'll be at a point that the devs have released their SDK and we can start using Squad assets to actually build Squad terrains.  Once we get to this point I'll probably start off really small with prototype map/s so that I can really grasp everything before I move on to a large map.

Something else I've been thinking of this morning.....I kind of like the idea of trying a flatter map. Reason being is that when you have large hill/mountainous terrains you really get to see the limitations with vegetation draw distances.  So while I might think I'm hidden as shit, someone seeing me from 500m away might see me plain as day.  If you have mostly flat terrain you can remove some of that limitation.  

Just open up ue4 and feel the goodies, im trying to learn myself and its really fun and the basics are very easy. Talking about a squad sdk will be a while away, as I recall they weren't going to release anything like that anytime soon due to the amount of changes that will be made in the future. Never too early to start learning though.

Just open up ue4 and feel the goodies, im trying to learn myself and its really fun and the basics are very easy. Talking about a squad sdk will be a while away, as I recall they weren't going to release anything like that anytime soon due to the amount of changes that will be made in the future. Never too early to start learning though.

I wish we could get some sort of chat group going that could unite all potential map makers under one roof. That something you guys would be interested in?

I'm on Skype constantly, so that would easily work for me as a chat group.

You should prob start a thread telling any1 with interest to message you or something like that. Learning always works better in groups.

You should prob start a thread telling any1 with interest to message you or something like that. Learning always works better in groups.

If I did, would you be interested as well?  I def agree though, it's nice having a community to bounce ideas/issues off of each other.  

I'd definitely appreciate people to help find source materials and to help brainstorm map ideas.

I'd definitely appreciate people to help find source materials and to help brainstorm map ideas.

Feel free to add me on Skype man, @DrBigMoney. Me, TickL Me Tibbers, M81ERDL, and a few others have a Skype chat going that we can start getting people together to learn. Would love to have you on board.....especially a fellow "wingman." ;)

Do you mean pictures of the city? once the media blackout lifts I can probably get a few pictures out of the actual city.

Do you mean pictures of the city? once the media blackout lifts I can probably get a few pictures out of the actual city.

Exactly. As a place I will never likely visit, I'm going to need a lot of pictures to get ideas for the map. Not to mention pictures of certain structures that will have to be modeled.

Start here for World Machine:

This guy has some a really good tutorial series. The work flow maybe different in the end for UE4 and PBR texture setup, but it's werf.

Another insurgent map :( Sadfaaaaace

Oh man, I really can't wait for some symmetrical warfare.. That is where Squad is really gonna shine.

Good luck tho!

What a great idea! Good luck with your new project. I hope you can master UE4 and bring us an awesome map. 

Hopefully these can assist you in some way. I tried to find the best resolution images and the best videos, and also a tad of topography 

28 Images and 9 Videos

http://imgur.com/a/0PKsH

I'll also pm you these too.

Are you still working on this map? A cool feature I though you could add would be tunnels around the city. ISIS was digging tunnels in Kobani to bomb the city in 2014: http://isis.liveuamap.com/en/2014/24-december-anha-ypg-discovered-is-using-tunnels-in-kobani/comments. Tunnels would add a whole other dimension to gameplay, and it would set it apart from other city maps.

Yes, I've started learning the basics to UE4. The biggest thing I'll need when I start getting into it is static building models. I need more references.

I imagine it will be a lot easier to make this kind of map once the SDK Assets for the Fallujah level are made available to the public. Not only will you have a nice selection of buildings to choose from, you can also re-use the provided textures and make your own buildings in 3dsMax/whatever without having to know how use software like ZBrush or Substance Designer.

I wish we could get some sort of chat group going that could unite all potential map makers under one roof. That something you guys would be interested in?

I'm on Skype constantly, so that would easily work for me as a chat group.

There is now a Discord group called Squad Modding Hub.

https://discordapp.com/channels/131516273048682496/131516273048682496

a syrian map for Squad would be absolutely amazing! the question is who will be fighting? i really hope to see the syrian arab army,or  hezbollah, but vs who? so called "moderate" opposition with jeans and t-shirts? guys in black pajamas with black flags?

Do not use the Syrian Rebels use the Kurds/YPG. against ISIS/ISIL/DAESH/Militants. The Rebels had like 2 groups who played minor roles in Kobani while the Syrian Kurds (YPG/YPJ)  had Peshmerga reinforcements from Iraq

I do think I could ever stop gathering source material, but yes it is. I like many others am excited for the upcoming Squad SDK. :)