carousel_image.jpg

Hey Squaddies,

Welcome to June! With the Alpha 11 patch released, we're back in the trenches hard at work on the next batch of updates for you. We're not the only ones that have been hard at work, though: the Post Scriptum weekend playtests have begun and, by all reports, your participation was invaluable! Check out this footage captured by Khaos during the first weekend:

Back in modern combat news, we've got some more details on game modes, systems, and some new weapons platforms for you. On with the Recap!

middle_separator.png

Systems

Mode: Randomised AAS

raas_1.jpg

A massive improvement we're making to the AAS mode is the introduction of a randomised system for flag layouts. This will allow our designers to heavily consolidate the multitude of map layers we currently have in-game (which are difficult to manage and QA), while also giving variety in the capture chains depending on the map and designer's intent.

raas_2.jpg
For example, a map could be tuned such that the first flags from the main base are always the same, but as the chain goes on, there is more variety to the second or third flags in the chain. Or it could all consolidate back into one middle flag. This will give our designers a more powerful tool in creating more variety per round for much less stress.

middle_separator.png

Vehicle Component Damage System

Stage 2 of our improvements to our vehicle damage model is the ability to damage individual components on vehicles, both externally and internally. The final goal of this will be to greatly lessen the ability for weapons to outright destroy vehicles and focus more on disabling key components like movement (disabling the engine), mobility (taking out wheels or tracks), turret traverse functions, or weapons functions.

Critical hit locations can also be implemented. Examples include ammunition compartments, rewarding accurate gunnery. Our intent is also to help balance the currently extremely strong anti-tank weaponry by preventing them from delivering the killing blow every time.

middle_separator.png

Turret Stabilization

One feature we're working on that features heavily for a lot of modern turrets is a stabilisation system that allows the user to focus on a particular direction for the main gun with a keypress, then the turret will attempt to stabilise the gun by counteracting the movements of the vehicle.

This will help greatly in allowing such vehicles to fire on the move, improving the pace and style of vehicular combat and giving it a different flavour to the World War 2 style of, "stop, shoot, & move." This system is still in its early prototyping stage, but we find it a necessary component in preparation to introduce main battle tanks to the game.

middle_separator.png

Modding 2.0 - Mods for Linux Servers

Over the last few weeks, a lot of quality of life work has been done on Modding 2.0. First thing: mods are now WAY smaller than they used to be! "Operation Silver," a popular modded Squad map, went from 3.3gb down to 1.03gb when cooked against the Modding 2.0 framework. Another big thing that people have been asking for is also done - Mods for Linux! With Modding 2.0 mods will now just run on Linux servers; you will no longer need have a Windows Server to a run Modded server.

middle_separator.png

Art and Environment

FV432 APC

fv432.jpg

Currently in the works, we have an addition to the British vehicle arsenal in the form of the FV432 Armored Personnel Carrier. Having undergone a series of upgrades on top of an older model, it will give the British a vehicle that is more than capable of ferrying more troops around the battlefield, but without the stand-off capabilities of the FV510 IFV.

middle_separator.png

M1A1 Abrams

abrams1.jpg

We've teased you with this iconic beast of American military might for a while now, but we are entering a phase where the systems we are developing for vehicles will feed into how best we can represent the capabilities of main battle tanks. While we accidentally leek'ed an in-game version to you a little prematurely, let that be a sign that we're getting closer to making the tank dream a reality.

abrams2.jpg

These vehicles come equipped with a 120mm smoothbore cannon firing anti-tank sabot rounds or high-explosive ammunition, making it the most formidable opponent on the battlefield when it comes to raw firepower.

abrams3.jpg

middle_separator.png

T72B3

t72b3_1.jpg

Also in the works is the answer to the American Abrams: the Russian T72B3 series of main battle tanks. Packing a larger gun and considerably lighter than the Abrams, this tank is one of the more widely produced and exported tanks since the 1970s.

t72b3_2.jpg

This particular asset has been in production for a fair while now, and is the first asset constructed from a 3D scan reference. There are still a number of missing components like the machine gun mount, but rest assured once it makes it in-game it will certainly make a huge impact.

t72b3_3.jpg

t72b3_4.jpg

middle_separator.png

9M133 Kornet ATGM

kornet.jpg

To compliment the BGM-71 TOW missile released in the previous alpha version, we have the Russian equivalent in the 9M133 "Kornet" in production. It is equivalent in power to the TOW in that it will be able to defeat heavy armor, however, it uses a laser beam to guide the missile while in flight.

middle_separator.png

Belaya Update

belaya1.jpg

Belaya has been undergoing a bit of an upgrade since it was released in Alpha 10 back in February. Some changes include lessening the snow coverage, more foliage adding more concealment when maneuvering between flags, and also roughening the terrain to give more opportunities for cover when crossing ground.

belaya_pass_minimap.jpg

belaya2.jpg

belaya3.jpg

belaya4.jpg

middle_separator.png

We can't wait to get Randomised AAS into the hands of testers, but we might be a little more excited about that Abrams hitting the field. So how about it, Squaddies, what are you most looking forward to in-game? Hit the discussion link below and let us know. Thanks for reading the Recap!

Offworld Out.

Can't wait for v12! I am so hyped for the abrams and the turret stabilization will help me so much because most of the time I am a gunner. Absolutely love you OWI. See you in the next monthly recap (or hopefully in v12 this month?)!  

Posted (edited)

I noticed theirs no 50 cal. on top of the Abrams or was mentioned that it'll be added in. It was mentioned that the T72B3 will get a machine gun mount, but nothing was said about the Abrams. Will this be fixed when the tank is released? Either way I look forward to manning this tank!

800px_COLOURBOX12095370.jpg

Edited by WarEagle751

Sooo disabling/damaging vehicles is going to happen soon which is great but how about fixing them up again. You can't drive a disabled vehicle to a repair station. Are we to assume we'll have to build a FOB/repair station nearby to fix disabled vehicles or have OWI got something up their sleeve to surprise us with? Repair/recovery truck perhaps?

Posted (edited)

Nice recap! But the images of the "Vehicle Component Damage System" and "Turret Stabilization" don't seem to be loading in, both here and on the main updates page.

EDIT: Quick question tho, why did you guys decide to get the T72B3 instead of the T90? Or will the T90 be introduced along with later versions of the Abrahams?

Edited by Guan_Yu007

I'd be looking forward to performance optimizations but it doesn't look like that's a priority for you.

9 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Sooo disabling/damaging vehicles is going to happen soon which is great but how about fixing them up again. You can't drive a disabled vehicle to a repair station. Are we to assume we'll have to build a FOB/repair station nearby to fix disabled vehicles or have OWI got something up their sleeve to surprise us with? Repair/recovery truck perhaps?

The plan is to be able to affect some field repairs to get moving again, but you will almost certainly have to return to a repair station for a complete fix.

4 minutes ago, Alio said:

I'd be looking forward to performance optimizations but it doesn't look like that's a priority for you.

One of our developers is currently working on an article that will be going in-depth on optimizations. We felt it worth separating it out from the Recap, especially since it's a larger effort overall. Will be sure to announce that when it's ready. =)

12 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Nice recap! But the images of the "Vehicle Component Damage System" and "Turret Stabilization" don't seem to be loading in, both here and on the main updates page.

EDIT: Quick question tho, why did you guys decide to get the T72B3 instead of the T90? Or will the T90 be introduced along with later versions of the Abrahams?

Yeah, somethings up with GFYcat. You should be able to get them after a refresh. We're checking things on our end to see if we can make it better, but they should eventually load.

The ubiquity of the T72B3 has a lot to do with it, I think. It's been widely produced, though being replaced by the T90 in Russian frontline service, it would appear in many of the conflicts in Squad. T-90 might be something that appears later. =)

20 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

Yeah, somethings up with GFYcat. You should be able to get them after a refresh. We're checking things on our end to see if we can make it better, but they should eventually load.

The ubiquity of the T72B3 has a lot to do with it, I think. It's been widely produced, though being replaced by the T90 in Russian frontline service, it would appear in many of the conflicts in Squad. T-90 might be something that appears later. =)

I see, cool. It would make sense for Russia to have the latest T-90 eventually, and the US have their respective modern version of the Abrahams. Aswell as the British Challanger 2.

Posted (edited)

Great Recap! Wow! Tanks! That will be a sight on battlefield! And that turret stabilization! That will be impact on vehicle usage!

Oh boy... poor warrior... :D 

Edited by Disco

6 minutes ago, FeatherSton3 said:

Honestly, I was hoping to see more in this update. Still nice work though

Gameplay work is underway, but not ready for public consumption yet.. Sorry to disappoint, check back next month.

28 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Gameplay work is underway, but not ready for public consumption yet.. Sorry to disappoint, check back next month.

Good to know! I can't wait to see the Abrams in action!  Also no one answered my question about the Abrams getting a 50. cal mount on top.

800px_COLOURBOX12095370.jpg

I imagine since they will release T72B instead of the T-90, Russians will get MORE tanks than US on the actual maps. It will likely be something like this:

RU:

3x T72

3x BTRs/MTLB

US:

2x M1A1

2x Bradley

I'm impressed with the SQUAD. Congratulations to all the team of developers who have idealized and who has been working on this promising modern warfare simulator.

Posted (edited)

Will the self-healing bug be fixed before that or with this update? (tried searching forums but found no answer)

For the rest if speed of the games get's lowered again it might be more interesting. (still to easy to run and gun)

Will there also be an option to force certain shadows and view distances on licensed servers (tournament mode eg)

Edited by Bl4ckP4nth3r

Posted (edited)

Locational damage looks awesome. The Russian tank model is also very impressive.

Edited by fatalsushi

We can't wait to get Randomised AAS into the hands of testers, but we might be a little more excited about that Abrams hitting the field. So how about it, Squaddies, what are you most looking forward to in-game? Hit the discussion link below and let us know. Thanks for reading the Recap!

I am really looking forward to seeing and operating these formidable MBTs! 
The maps are also being a spectacle to the part and I only have to thank the disembowell gentlemen. 
I would like to take this opportunity to ask the developers that, in the future of course, 
the inclusion means of American artillery of the M-109A6 PALADIN 155mm, M777 155mm, Multiple 
Launch Rocket Sistem (M270 MRLS)and High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (M-142 HIMARS) as well as 
their Russian counterparts 2S19 MSTA-S,9A52-4 TORNADO, DRDO ATAGS and BM-21 TORNADO G. These means of 
artillery will be of great value in the battlefields of the SQUAD as they will greatly aid the troops 
in support of long-range fire! I would love to operate these vehicles on SQUAD!        

This is all  looking great. Especially the RAAS. Lovely work, nice progress.

Definitely looking forward to some game modes & maps optomized for armor

Some of the newer maps have designs that bring out some meat grinder-ish play (objectives at the top of hills) and some CQB centric engagements (fights inside tunnels). I think you need to be careful with these until performance is more optimized, and even after inject these dynamics sparingly.

egg

I'm glad to see that every new update seems to expand organically around very strong core elements, that makes the general player experience and every game uniquely immersive. I highly doubt that any other game has ever striked such a nice balance between a demanding, yet highly rewarding gameplay. 

Every recently implemented features, while they can still be improved and polished, feel like they are the basis or the canvas upon which you guys seem to be pushing a very high level of detail. I do hope you continue down that track of making Squad as seemless, intricate and detailed as possible.

I'm really pumped to see that game mature and carve itself a well-deserved place in an industry that at times, seems to lack vision or commitment.

Thank you for all your hard work!